Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

There’s actually one slight problem with this that will become a bigger problem as devices with higher luminance ranges start to exist… which is you don’t generally want to measure changes in luminance on a linear scale.

I’m going to change the visualization to logarithmic scale so that it behaves more like anyone familiar with photography or cinematography would expect. Namely, the color bands should separate stops of exposure (doubling in brightness). Really high ranges stop being appropriate for visualization in linear scale.

2 Likes

Eeek… I just read that, and oh boy. They are in for a LOT of problems. Forcing fullscreen per-application’s rarely a good idea, doing it globally as a default policy is going to be a nightmare. That should not be an option :-\

It’d be much better if they went the other direction, and tried to have a force flip model option. But I don’t think ReShade can even do a flip model override :frowning:

I randomly did a deep-dive into Steam’s DRM scheme Custom Executable GEneration (CEG) today again (last time I did research on it was a few years ago) and (re)discovered that the Steamworks Documentation barely makes any mentions of CEG any longer and the one site that mentioned CEG, the old Steamworks introduction site, was replaced entirely in 2017 to redirect to the Steamworks Documentation instead.

A search on Google for cegpublickey on SteamDB also does not return any recent games, with the ‘newest’ ones being from 2014: Alien: Isolation, Age of Mythology: Extended Edition, F1 2014, GRID Autosport, and Sniper Elite 3.

All other search results are dated as being released earlier. It should therefor be safe to conclude that while older titles may still make use of CEG, it is not a DRM scheme that Valve have offered for developers for half a decade by now.

And yet we still see it occasionally get mentioned…

Edit: 2014 was also the year that Steam introduced Family Sharing – a concept otherwise conflicting with CEG from my understanding of it (CEG creates a custom executable tied to a single Steam user). Could it be related? :open_mouth:

Now, if only they’d get rid of their basic client DRM wrapper that prevents launching games through debuggers… because that’s literally the only thing it does and anyone who needs to debug a game to pirate it already knows their way around this problem.

I think the only reason that remains as part of Steamworks is because it looks good on paper to some publishers / developers having some form of protection available. Meanwhile, Valve knows full well their protection is worthless.

It was also the year Denuvo came along :wink:

Yeah, I have no idea what’s the idea with that? They should’ve had it included up until programmers learned to bypass it (so basically within the first year) and then removed it entirely as it served no purpose any longer.

Whoops, I had forgotten about that. Yeah, that might’ve also played a role.

What’s truly terrible about it is that it poses an unnecessary obstacle to beginning game modders, Valve went with cryptic “V:3452623423” error messages that give no indication why a game is refusing to start to anyone who has never come across this before.

I don’t think the Valve from the 90’s and the Valve from today have much in common. They embraced modding back when they were a game developer.

Mhm, a few months ago PCGW officially made an exception to the sites’ “bypassing DRM” policy for Steamless, as it have become a required tool for a ton of games to even be able to make simple binary mods such as ultra-widescreen support and whatnot.

1 Like

I wouldn’t necessarily say that it’s required to remove it, but it’s the easier of two options. I am the crazy person who tries to leave a game’s DRM / anti-debug code actually in the game but just disable it during startup :slight_smile:

Most sane people would patch the executable rather than work with the original protected executable. I try to keep all game assets in their pristine form though, so that doesn’t leave me with a lot of options.

Is it normal that the Netflix app is always underexposed for me? I have to push the gamma up by like 80% whenever i want to stream something :confused:

Wonder if that has something to do with this DRM thing though it could be a number of factors for how it handles streaming/playback I suppose.

High Definition Content Protection or what it was.

Then the formats and encoding and probably all the backend stuff for how this works and what’s supported in the app and then the browsers and stuff like that heh.

Suppose it wouldn’t be running in limited mode when displayed on a computer display either compared to full range mode.
(Nah that should be handled elsewhere.)

Configuring media playback through MPC-HC and it’s tools is a effort in itself so there’s probably any number of possibilities and I doubt the user has access to much more than playing back the video streaming.

TV app’s the only use I’ve had with Netflix though wasn’t terrible but the sorting options were lacking and it took a while for it to update to new stuff plus you’re limited to when and how long the TV’s firmware and apps are updated in terms of functionality.

Allowed me to catch up to some of the old movies I had missed even if it ended up being mostly comedies ha ha.

Hmm, probably. It’s especially worse when watching a horror, since you’re not sure if you’re making the picture brighter than intended when you re-adjust. It’s stupid overall, everything else works seamlessly.

Too little information provided to say either way. Is this on a HDR enabled monitor? Have you seen if there’s an option below Display settings > Windows HD Color settings that can fix it?

Yeah, luckily we’re starting to see some modders try an injection-based approach instead, as those sorts of mods also work on many of the Microsoft Store versions.

I’m pretty sure that the windows store apps of amazon prime video & netflix, aswell as through browser are limited to 1080p/SDR

Netflix isn’t, provided the user has the necessary hardware:

1 Like

Said necessary hardware includes an Intel CPU :-\

Video DRM sucks, it’s best to avoid PC and just buy a cheap Amazon FireTV 4K or something like that instead. You just stick it in one of your monitor’s HDMI ports and now you have a much better way of playing video on a monitor, lol.

AMD has equivalent hardware memory protection (in fact, more advanced) than Intel, but these stupid streaming services and software-based UHD BluRay players only bother to implement their DRM scheme using the Intel SGX instructions.

An Intel CPU is only required if you don’t have a discrete Nvidia card of a newer model. It’s related to how Intel was the first hardware to get support for it:

The newest update solved all my problems and it’s as easy as before to get a good looking HDR image. Thank you very much ! Looking forward for more to come.

Good to hear. I’m having to up my game now that Xbox Series X is doing machine-learning based HDR :slight_smile:

Either I stop calling this HDR, or I put some real effort into it :stuck_out_tongue: At the moment, it’s basically just the SDR image with enough increased precision to stretch it out to higher peak luminance without losing detail… that’s technically HDR, but I’m going to get my butt handed to me if I continue calling it HDR and Xbox Series X is over there manipulating the image to look more like an officially HDR game than I am.

Well it’s kinda tough to match Microsoft and the D3D12 Machine Learning algorithms and AMD’s co-operating on this though since it goes that way they could jam another option into the Windows 10 settings at some point.

Or support HDR more fully like the desktop bit so you don’t have to toggle the flip option back and forth.

Alternatively set it to on if a game requests HDR and can’t resolve it on it’s own which seems to be some issue as well but might be down more to HDR needs exclusive full-screen mentality that seems somewhat established due to third party library restrictions?

Not sure what’s going to happen, guess WDDM 2.8 and 2.9 coming in with 21H1 and 22H1 I would think plus updates to the rest of it (DXGI,DWM,D3D) is going to have some details once Microsoft finalizes the current stuff being worked on and the documentation is updated to cover these new bits. :smiley:

EDIT: But to be fair I am fairly certain that Windows 10 HDR support across D3D11 and D3D12 has already improved since the earlier Redstone and now Vibranium builds already available.
(Which would be err DXGI 1.5 and 1.6, WDDM 2.6 and 2.7 and some other bits. :stuck_out_tongue: )

Vulkan’s doing this extension stuff and it’s a bit of a thing there between AMD and NVIDIA and native Khronos ones, guessing that’s nothing new though even back in the OpenGL days.