Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

So the newest version with the fixed black gain seemed to fix all the issues I was having in fine tuning titles. I messed around with the settings as much as I could and always just came back to Max Lumi at 1000nits and Mid-Grey at 0%. Sat at 110% for an extra bit of pop

aka set max lumi. and call it a day :smiley:

Is it possible to use the newest version with Nier though? It works but I cannot get the resolution past 1600x900 even if I manually input a res override

Uh in WDL when choosing 11Bit it dropped my fps by a lot actually. Main menu couldn’t even stay consistent at even 15 fps. Though might be bc my monitor is basically 8Bit+2Dithering.

thanks, its working correctly now. using ACEs sdr>hdr
related… are this settings fine for Odyssey?

Also whats the shorcut for screenshots with SK?

It can be used with a non-50 Hz screen, but really not a good idea to use a waitable SwapChain at a rate that’s not a factor of your refresh rate. If you want to render at a non-fator rate, waitable needs to be turned off.

Mostly what that sreenshot tells me is that the feature was broken in earlier versions :stuck_out_tongue: It should always be causing that weird stutter in the graph if the target rate is set this way.

1:1 Refresh Rate

Not 1:1 Refresh Rate (don’t use a Waitable SwapChain)

That timing hiccup is the Waitable part of the SwapChain doing its job to keep latency down to 0 frames. It normally doesn’t create full on stuttering, just a little bit of measurable extra / less time waiting in the latency histogram when frames are not completing at consistent rates vs VSYNC.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/jlelp4/some_projects_mentioned_in_the_crytek_leaks/

Crysis Next…and then a battle royale pitch?

Well hopefully Ryse won’t be 100 anachronistic Romans although that could still improve on QTE tech benchmark development hell project that the first game apparently was.

And when’s Battle Royale itself going to be a video game adaption anyway. :stuck_out_tongue:
(Well, never.)

EDIT: Cry-Engine continues on though. :slight_smile:

This is… a bit weird to see… And they’re heavily inflating that “most SP” claim. “Most SP” are in fact not meant to be a platform seller.

I mean, the only real “platform sellers” of that kind are exclusive singleplayer console titles – of which there are few, and especially later in the life of a console platform.

I don’t think the claim holds up even when talking about triple-A singleplayer titles in general, as that would mean including stuff like Ubisoft’s crossplatform singleplayer focused titles that can hardly be said to be “platform sellers” since they aren’t exclusive to a single platform.

None the less, in general I don’t expect Crytek to develop a new singleplayer title based on their current situation – there’s probably not enough money for it which the studio probably wants right now. In those cases, a multiplayer title with microtransactions can generate more revenue – provided it doesn’t fall on its face straight out of the gate (Amazon’s Crucible, EA’s Rocket Arena, and there’s probably some more from 2020 that I’ve forgotten to mention).

This is awesome to read! I typically have not relied on Special K’s screenshot feature as much as I could’ve, but that’s because I more often than not tend to run SK with Steam enhancements disabled, or I play a game outside of Steam’s platform.

But having a non-Steam tied screenshot feature that properly handles HDR->SDR tone mapping the way SK does would be perfect, as the game bar seems to occasionally create subpar results.

It’s a simple Reinhard tonemap that the gamebar uses. I could train a monkey to do that :slight_smile:

I’ve tried to teach Valve to do it, seems there’s not a lot of interest in producing correct screenshots.

Lots of pretty charts there to keep the monkey you inevitably have to train to do the tonemapping interested :wink:

1 Like

I’d think at least a couple of those projects were made for when developing a new engine, to stress it etc. I could never picture a Ryse sequel being a real thing.

Is that with Fast Sync On ?

Yeah I’m not 100% sure on some of the info but the escalating cost and expectations on sales probably means there’s little chance of a new Crysis or Ryse game in the same style as the originals at least.

Ryse especially was pretty troubled with years of inactivity and somewhat rushed to completion as a platform showcase explaining some of it’s flaws.

Some of this can also come from ex employees and layoffs so things change or they portray their experience in a very negative bias or how to say and sometimes even more solid info can be turned out to be mostly made up or based on more plausible rumors or estimations.

Doesn’t rule out Crytek couldn’t try to invest more into the Crysis or Ryse franchises or the brands and then also VR particularly if they could get support through something like the new Oculus device maybe with Robinson 2 on that list.

Don’t think a Ryse sequel can even be a thing as the plot is self contained and a whole lot of stuff is wrong or made up or changed around ha ha. :smiley:

EDIT: Well Title +1 can happen regardless of anything Far Cry and it’s Ubisoft spin-offs and then Far Cry 2 being something entirely different just as one example I suppose. :smiley:

EDIT: Suppose Meta Critic can be added to the pile next to ridiculous sales estimations and humongous development costs too.

(Via Reset Era.)

When I capped fps tp 50, my monitor’s refresh rate was also set to 50Hz.
I also tried changing refresh rate to 60Hz and capped framerate to 60fps. And it still stutters.

Anyway, it is Waitable SwapChain option that causes stutters in the new version. It does not matter what fps or Hz I set. If that option is enabled, AC: Odyssey will stutter.
There is no problem using Waitable SwapChain with other games though. Only Odyssey stutters.

That’s with regular VSYNC.

Oh, that. Don’t worry about it. It’s the game’s anti-debug, it makes using waitable swapchains very unreliable.

All Ubisoft games have this problem, until they pull their head out of their butt and stop doing this stuff.

Use this version of Special K to defeat some of the performance problems with this feature in Ubisoft games:

SpecialK64_UbisoftSucks.7z (7.6 MB)

2 Likes

Nice to see & know.
I like Reinhard simple, Reinhard-Jodie and DSCS315-R1 (ISO = 6.0).

But I don’t have a real HDR monitor/tv. My (old) LG tv has Support for 10bpc and REC709.
I use now the tv’s option “dynamic contrast” = middle, and it gives me better middle contrast near the original look (w/o dc). So that’s my “HDR” in HZD game. :grin:

Next time I try your newest SK version with Tomb Raider games…

@Kaldaien
Are these SK versions w/ HDR & Ubisoft Bugfixes DirectX11 only?
Or could I use that for DirectX12 Games like HorizonZD or Tomb Raider?

I’m confused by the new measures in the UK occuring on Thursday. Only essential shops can stay open, and you need good reason to go out. But erm, schools stay open even though there’s no real social distancing in schools, and thousands of students get crammed together for lunch breaks in the cafeteria :confused:

^^^^
When I turned on HDR with this it immediately caused a massive Memory leak in WDL game. I mean within minutes My memory maxed out at 30 to 31GB. I only have 32GB which was why my game suddenly locked up within 3 minutes of SK running in HDR mode. Was using this as Local injection though in WDL. So hopefully the latest SK you uploaded will have fixed that issue.

Edit:
with SK HDR on for Aces SDR to HDR it definitely causes quite a bit of fps drop. Didn’t do that before this dxgi.dll version you made. Not sure why it suddenly changed so much. I should clarify that if 11Bit is check it causes my fps drops pretty bad. It seems it is tied to 11bit mode in WDL being on. My memory is also not nearly as high at all. Hovering around 1 to 2GB with only 10bit-16bit instead of 13GB with 11bit-16 on.

I do think though memory leak could have been aggreviated by actual usage of Fullscreen mode in WDL as well. Haven’t double check that. But it seems so far with only 10bit mode on and FS Windowed mode on the game doesn’t have massive memory leak. But now I think about it, the game / pc became unresponsive when WDL was using actual Fullscreen mode. So it’s more likely Fullscreen exclusive in this game with SK’s HDR that is causing the massive memory leak. But the fps drop definitely happens with 11bit checked.

Don’t use this on an AMD driver. It won’t work.

The general process works on AMD, but the dummies at Ubisoft are using NVIDIA and AMD proprietary graphics APIs for HDR. So it’s not a problem I created, but one they did and because I don’t have an AMD system with HDR capabilities at the moment, I can’t fix their crap.

Actually I got it to work. I don’t have HDR enabled in the ubisoft game just using SK’s one. And I realized if I use my local luminance? which is like 351 it does quite a decent job and my fps is not dropping when I am running in FS Windowed mode. On top of that I maxed out Middle grey and game doesn’t have weird clipping going on or weird black stuff. Night time actually looks like night time. Just move brightness slider in WDL at 52% and its all good.

Doesn’t look like that but well yeah. Just to see my monitors settings for WDL.

Okay, good.

Don’t use Fullscreen Exclusive in that game. The second you do, it tries to activate its actual HDR. In a way we’re lucky Ubisoft thinks that HDR only works in fullscreen mode :slight_smile: That stops them from breaking their own game in windowed mode too.