Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

So I began playing Noita earlier today and… jeez, is it frustrating in some ways.

For one, it has the slowest cloud sync of Steam I’ve ever seen – probably as a result of it storing a ton of files individually for all kinds of stupid things, so the Steam client has to (for me) sync some 900+ files to the cloud, consisting of a measly 20 MB of space. It takes my computer some 3-5 minutes for the sync to finish…

Why not just package the save files as a single file instead of hundreds of individual files?!

The other frustrating thing is that there’s almost no (or perhaps outright zero?) progress between each life, so upon dying (which you do a lot in this game), you lose everything. This, here, almost made me stop playing the game entirely but luckily there’s a mod that implements a checkpoint system and removes the permadeath entirely.

And on the technical aspect, it’s built on OpenGL! On top of that, for some reason they decided to, well, not lock the mouse to the window by default (they actually have an option for it in-game – it’s off by default?!), so multimonitor users will mistakenly minimize the game whenever one mistakenly presses outside of the window when aiming and fighting…

Gameplay-wise, there’s no choice of rerolling or removing ones’ perks either. I did a major mistake in basically picking up what sounded as the best perk available for me at the time, but I quickly noticed how the perk basically neutered my whole playstyle – and now I’m stuck with it and can’t redo it…

Beyond that, the game is quite fun with the ‘falling sand’ style gameplay and physics interactions.

SpecialK64.7z (7.6 MB)

I have changed the way that ‘Middle Gray’ adjustment works, it’s now expected to always be within the range 80 - 120 nits… it’s being applied in a different colorspace so this is more or less a % +/- raise in luminance than an absolute adjustment (contrast is what the range I allow you to work with adjusts, not scene-wide luminance).

Clear any HDR profiles you may have before using that, the valid ranges are different.

I also added a Passthrough mode to the Tonemap, which turns this mostly into gamma processing and nothing else (like the old system).

Also, if you want to raise luminance of the scene another way of doing this is to manually enter a gamma value somewhere in the .7 - .9 range.

3 Likes

Special K had that problem too for a while, to be fair… but I was aware of the problem and would have engineered something faster if SK were still a Steam product. Of course … come to think of it, Valve might just complain that I’m optimizing Steam again, lol.

Ultimately the passthrough tonemap is just a hack for compat. with weird games.

The ACES 1K behavior is what I am trying to accomplish, it distributes available luminance far better across the extended HDR range where HDR highlights live (or more accurately tend to exceed device capabilities and behave in ways anyone can guess).

It might sound bad to be cramming the LDR mid-tone range down into a narrow luminance band like this, but the human eye actually does a better job perceiving low-luminance gradiation and the more you compress LDR into a stable region well within device capabilities, the more likely HDR highlights are to emerge where previously they were probably just crushed or too subtle to pop off the screen the way HDR games are expected too.

1 Like

Hmm so AMD has broken vertex 3.0 shader support for D3D9, interesting.

And a new build of 0.11.1.0 :slight_smile:

The most recent HDR builds Kal posted in this thread aren’t working properly with MPC for me, only VLC is “mostly” working.

@Ahmlet worth clarifying, both MPC and VLC are good for managing different codecs that don’t work with the other. Use the latest stable version at the top if you want SK to work properly with the two.

Alternatively, if you still want to use the new HDR builds, you can make a profile with VLC, and replace the MPC profile with VLC, see if that works.

There’s a few different builds as well and then codec packages such as K-Lite.

Media Player Classic, Classic Home Cinema and Classic Black I think.

HDR I think is mainly though MadVR but it hasn’t been maintained for a while and even the WIP builds are nearing a year since the last version was released.
http://madshi.net/madVRhdrMeasure113.zip

(MPC’s own render plugin does support some neat things like flip model but is not as extensive as MadVR is in features.)

I’m in no way exaggerating, 300 ms mouse latency is physically painful. You sit there trying not to over-correct mouse input so you can interact with the game’s UI, and at 300 ms that’s impossible. Meanwhile, the UI runs at 48 FPS, which is fast enough to take mouse input when whatever the @#$% this engine is doing is not happening; the render queue’s a mile and half long.

I had that issue as well let met get my settings for MPC-HC program:
You see any nvidia settings you might want to revert them to true if you have nvidia card. Also make sure in MadVR you turn on D3D11 rendering and use MadVR renderer.

MPC-HC OutPut setting:
Screenshot_1890

MadVR Setting:
Screenshot_1891

Put the following in SpecialK.ini config file for the application.

[Compatibility.General]
DisableBloatWare_NVIDIA=true
RehookLoadLibrary=false

[SpecialK.System]
ShowEULA=false
Silent=false
LogLevel=0
IgnoreRTSSHookDelay=false
UseCrashHandler=true
GameOutput=true
EnableCEGUI=true
SafeInitCEGUI=true
TraceLoadLibrary=true
StrictCompliant=false
Version=0.11.0.50

[ImGui.Render]
DisableAlpha=false
AntialiasLines=true
AntialiasContours=true

[API.Hook]
LastKnown=64
d3d9=false
d3d9ex=false
d3d11=true
OpenGL=false
d3d12=false
Vulkan=false

[NVIDIA.API]
DisableHDR=false
Disable=true

[NVIDIA.Bugs]
AnselSleepsWithFishes=false

[Input.Keyboard]
CatchAltF4=true
DisabledToGame=false

[Input.Mouse]
DisabledToGame=false

[Input.Cursor]
Manage=false
KeyboardActivates=true
Timeout=1.5
ForceCaptureInUI=false
UseHardwareCursor=false
BlockInvisibleCursorInput=false
NoWarpUI=true
NoWarpVisibleGameCursor=true
FixSynapticsTouchpadScroll=true
AntiwarpDeadzonePercent=2.5
UseRelativeInput=true

[Input.Gamepad]
DisabledToGame=false
DisablePS4HID=false
AllowHapticUI=true
DisableRumble=false

[Input.XInput]
Rehook=false
PlaceholderMask=0
UISlot=0
SlotReassignment=0,1,2,3

[Input.Steam]
UISlot=0

[Threads.Analyze]
MemoryAllocation=false
FileActivity=false

[Window.System]
Borderless=false
Center=true
RenderInBackground=true
MuteInBackground=false
XOffset=0.0%
YOffset=0.0%
ConfineCursor=false
UnconfineCursor=true
PersistentDragPos=false
Fullscreen=false
FixMouseCoords=true
AlwaysOnTop=1
DisableScreensaver=false
DontHookWndProc=false
OverrideRes=0x0

[Display.Output]
ForceFullscreen=false
ForceWindowed=false

[Render.FrameRate]
TargetFPS=144.0
BackgroundFPS=0.0
SleeplessRenderThread=true
SleeplessWindowThread=true
EnableMMCSS=true
MaxBusyWaitPercent=0.0
WaitForVBLANK=false
PreRenderLimit=2
BackBufferCount=2
PresentationInterval=0
RescanRatio=-1/1
RefreshRate=-1.0
LimitEnforcementPolicy=4

[FrameRate.Control]
OverrideCPUCoreCount=-1

[Render.DXGI]
MaxDeltaTime=0
UseFlipDiscard=true
DisableFlipModel=false
AllowTearingInDWM=true
DropLateFrames=true
MaxRes=0x0
MinRes=0x0
SwapChainWait=0
Scaling=DontCare
ScanlineOrder=DontCare
ExceptionMode=DontCare
EnableDebugLayer=false
SafeFullscreenMode=false
Use64BitDepthStencil=false
IsolateD3D11DeferredContexts=false
SkipSwapChainPresentTest=false
OverrideMSAA=-1

[Textures.D3D11]
Cache=false
PreciseHash=false
Inject=true
InjectionKeepsFormat=false
GenerateMipmaps=false

[Textures.Cache]
MaxEntries=65536
MinEntries=512
MaxEvict=1024
MinEvict=64
MaxSizeInMiB=2048
MinSizeInMiB=384
IgnoreNonMipmapped=false
AllowStaging=false
AllowUnsafeRefCounting=false
ManageResidency=false

[Render.D3D9]
ForceD3D9Ex=false
EnableTextureMods=false

[Render.OSD]
ShowInVideoCapture=true
HDRLuminance=7.5375

[Textures.General]
ResourceRoot=SK_Res
DumpOnFirstLoad=false

[DPI.Scaling]
Disable=false
PerMonitorAware=false
MonitorAwareOnAllThreads=false

[Steam.Achievements]
SoundFile=

[Steam.System]
AppID=0
AutoInitDelay=0
AutoPumpCallbacks=true
BlockUserStatsCallback=false
FilterExternalDataFromCallbacks=false
PreLoadSteamClient=false
PreLoadSteamOverlay=false
ForceLoadSteamAPI=false
AutoInjectSteamAPI=true
NotifyCorner=DontCare
ReuseOverlayPause=true
SteamPipeDLL=
CallbackThrottle=-1

[Steam.Social]
OnlineStatus=-1

[Steam.Log]
Silent=false

[Steam.DRMWorks]
SpoofBLoggedOn=false

[Steam.Screenshots]
EnableSmartCapture=true

[AMD.ADL]
Disable=false

[SpecialK.HDR]
scRGBLuminance_[0]=9.375
scRGBGamma_[0]=1.188
InputColorSpace_[0]=4
OutputColorSpace_[0]=0
scRGBLuminance_[1]=3.125
scRGBGamma_[1]=0.8418
InputColorSpace_[1]=4
OutputColorSpace_[1]=0
scRGBLuminance_[2]=1.0
scRGBGamma_[2]=1.0
InputColorSpace_[2]=1
OutputColorSpace_[2]=4
scRGBLuminance_[3]=8.125
scRGBGamma_[3]=2.18
InputColorSpace_[3]=4
OutputColorSpace_[3]=0
Use10BitSwapChain=false
Use16BitSwapChain=true
Promote8BitRTsTo16=false
Promote10BitRTsTo16=true
Promote11BitRTsTo16=true
AllowFullLuminance=true
Preset=0

[HDR.Presets]
Activate0=F1
Activate1=F2
Activate2=F3
Activate3=F4

[D3D11.Hooks]
EnableGlobalCache=false
EnableLocalCache=false

[DXGI.Hooks]
EnableGlobalCache=false
EnableLocalCache=false

Also make sure you have the window of player selected and in focus. I mean click on top bar to make sure its what is selected.

VLC started getting wonky on me though. But it did work best without most of the issues I ran into MPC-HC but once I got MPC-HC working properly I got it to work for most part. I do get that renderer error sometimes and I just reboot video until it pops up. Maybe not how HDR is supposed to look maybe but it definitely improved the footage greatly.

lol what the hell happen here

If I go fullscreen app hands

Ha yeah that happens every time. Right click video and click video frame and set it to fit inside window. That is the only annoying thing that happens to me every time I boot up a video. I have to always set video frame and click on put it inside window and it will properly put it inside window fully.

I tried several things to get that fixed but that was part of reason why I couldn’t click on GUI at some point when it did “boot up properly”. So with current settings you just simply do that. And its all good.

Edit:
I use global injection as well and have Sudeko.exe or whatever its called whitelisted. Which you seemed to already figured out.

I’ve been testing more and MPC doesn’t work for me anymore, with 0.11.1.

VLC is mostly fine with this build, just weird alpha errors (like the volume display and captions), and i’ve tested different HDR render passes.

Working on my end. Try my settings. I also am using MegaMix Lav Filters which automatically installs everything I need for MPC-HC. And make sure MadVR settings are set like I have in screenshots above.

@GPUnity
You know I used to video edit a ton back in the day. Got semi-decent actually but always overdid effects that I would obtain. Like newblue fx and such.

My channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLQO47Xl8jAJmeCpJB61N3w
Some videos are uh well semi-nsfw. lol. I edited with Anime for most part. Was all about trying to sync effects and such.

yeah thats solved in windows mode, but as soon as I go fullscreen it goes black and crashes

Go into MadVR and do the fullscreen option that might help:
Screenshot_1894

Hold on give me a sec to figure it out.

auch creating d3d device failed
Im on a 4k tv, maybe the different resolution is the problem

Yeah that’s the error that pops up every so often. Just reboot the video. It will work. But give me a few to figure out how to make it work for fullscreen.

Edit:
Okay figured it out. Once you get video in fullscreen it goes black. Then exit it and reload the video and try again. Should now open fullscreen mode. and work as well. But if get that device d3d11 error whatever try again to load video.

When video is fullscreen right click it and press exit. And then reload video from file. Should work. If the other error pops up then just simply try to reload video.

hmm latest 11.1 has way more bugs now for some odd reason. Doesn’t rescale video like it used to. Now its becoming an issue causing black screens.

As long as it’s not Indian drama levels of overdone :smiley:

Most of my videos I put seizure warnings on some of them lol. Near the end I tried to do more subtle ways of syncing effects. lol. More natural.

The video you posted reminds me of one I did way back.

That video I tried doing 5.1 surround sound. The footage had it just didn’t do the audio render correctly lol.

I got MPC “sort of” working, it only seems to work when i export a file in H265 in 8 bit. My 10 bit files don’t work for either MPC or VLC, and VLC is needed for H264 8 bit footage.

I have the same issue in H265 as Ahmlet, where they couldn’t touch the control panel. Tried your config, as well as VLC’s config, and i get a black screen period (windowed and fullscreen) - the overall situation is reminiscent of the issues VLC had when Kal first got injection working with VLC, which he fixed soon after. I already had madvr setup and basically the same settings as yours. I’ll see if i can test further, but right now i don’t think i’ll get it working on my end.