Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

Is it preferred to leave HDR on in game when adding Special K HDR?

With recent developments it tends not to matter one way or the other. SK can improve things both ways.

I’d say it’s more important to manage the game’s internal brightness settings. Dynamic Range is won and lost in those settings. Many games need you to turn their brightness down to 25% or lower, from a normal neutral value of 50%.

1 Like

Still totally convinced that releasing Control without HDR was stupid on Remedy’s part.

Recommended settings for Mafia definite edition?

Why do people continue to use OpenGL today on Windows? And for the love of god, why isn’t there a general-purpose OpenGL-to-DirectX 11 wrapper? :sob:

I understand you, man. Seems Microsoft has a native conversion mechanism in the works, AMD community seems to be banking hard on this to fix AMD’s horrible OpenGL performance that they have so far been either completely unable or unwilling to address.

I am no programmer but I doubt this will be an adequate replacement for an advanced OpenGL driver like NVIDIA’s, at least for the foreseeable future.

This was a new one. Disabling CEGUI removed the background layer entirely from this game :smiley:

CEGUI is a hot mess in OpenGL. Its text overlay alone is a performance bottleneck.

I am quite capable of optimizing OpenGL code, but the absolute amount of pain involved with recompiling CEGUI makes this all a non-starter. ImGui and multi-plane overlays will eventually take over all responsibilities from CEGUI.

Because that API is 30+ years of errata that would take an eternity to wrap.

It took a ridiculous amount of time to hook all 400+ OpenGL functions in Special K to make a DLL that functions as a replacement for OpenGL 1.2. Add translating API behavior on top of simply matching interfaces into the world’s most elaborate API and now you know why nobody but NVIDIA has ever bothered to write a good OpenGL driver. Nobody but NVIDIA has the time and resources to dedicate to OpenGL, all other sane minded individuals would rather build a Vulkan driver.

With media player is recommended for specialk HDR? potplayer loads but main menu doesnt show up. MPC doesnt load using global injection
I use potplayer as main player for years
dxgi.log (35,5 KB)

You have to use D3D11 render mode for it to work. And I use MPC-HC with MadVR and that seems to work the best. I tried potplayer but had major issues. And VLC seems to be a bit touchy too.

which settings? mpc is using lav video, i chose d3d11 but it isnt loading

MadVR renderer.

I use a specific build of MPC-HC. Let me find it and give link. Its similar to one that used to be used a lot by anime viewers.

Edit: LAV Filters Megamix 0.76.1 Free Download - VideoHelp

Download that and install it. It will install MPC-HC with any of the stuff you actually need. All in one type thing. MPC-HC is literally called shoukaku.exe

Screenshot_1888

Screenshot_1889

thanks never heard of it, i usually used klite codec pack

I’m definitely having issues with highlights. Seems that with this version, highlights look very “grey”, even with max peak brightness. Adjusting middle-grey helps a bit, but even raising it very high, the highlights still look wrong.

JXR screenshot:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XC1psWMEGuAOGxwsn9kwKlZd7-qvoYXX/view?usp=sharing

Settings/SDR screenshot:

Wait, am I supposed to raise peak luminance higher than my monitors luminance? That does fix the issue, is that what is supposed to happen? The only issue is, raising the peak luminance high enough to offset the issue makes everything else way too bright.

I have only tested Prey but I am not too sure how I am meant to setup HDR with the new settings. Maxing out brightness to 800 and enabling HGIG stuff is far too contrasty, raising grey point fixes it a bit but then everything becomes too bright.

It’s been a while since I’ve used the HDR inject but I can’t seem to get the same impact as before

Yep. The only way I have been able to get something to look decent is to do something insane like set the peak brightness to 50k nits, lower the middle-grey to 80 nits, and adjust the SDR → HDR Gamma accordingly. Which is crazy, so something must be acting weird.

It loads but cant click anything and hangs