Installation of Special K

Hello Aemony thanks again for your comment.

Yes i was able to download the last version 1.7 extrar the tar.gz or something there was 2 folders x32 x64
as torchlight II is 32 bit, i went to program files, epic games, torchlight II, and i extracted there all .dll the funny thing the torchlight folder asket for not permission (i mean it didn’t modify anything)

And yes i confirmed with the Rivastatistic and it says (Vulkan)

Something interesting that i cannot make it work is the DXVK_HUD 1 variable for windows 10 enviorement variable, they said if a game works, then it will show up a statistic like your gpu+render.
For some reason i have not Hud by that variable.

I saw a guy in youtube testing windows 10 with DXVK with Resident Evil 7 and the hud worked for him.

Also is it safe to run DXVK in steam games? like modifying their .dll d39/d310 11? etc,etc
hoping not to get a vac

SKIF also crashes on my PCs when it loads. Both of them come up with this in the event viewer:

Faulting application name: SKIF.exe, version: 0.6.9.0, time stamp: 0x5f2581dd
Faulting module name: SKIF.exe, version: 0.6.9.0, time stamp: 0x5f2581dd
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000006abce
Faulting process id: 0x4458
Faulting application start time: 0x01d66942f030ce0f
Faulting application path: C:\Users\me\Documents\My Mods\SpecialK\SKIF.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Users\me\Documents\My Mods\SpecialK\SKIF.exe
Report Id: abf649b2-d986-4074-85a6-2ffd5e4bc4fe
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

As for dxvk hud, you could try putting a copy of dxvk/dxvk.conf at master · doitsujin/dxvk · GitHub in your games directory and modifying the required settings in there. I use dxvk.hud = full.

1 Like

Hello Mike thanks for that tip, a question; Do i need to copy all that code in that link you sent, and then create a .txt paste all that code, and save as .conf? of .cfg or what :O?

Cause i tried copying all that code, set the dxvk.hud= full
then save as .cfg or .conf and place under torchlight II and not worked

Gosh im so dumb sometimes :frowning:

You don’t need all that code. By default it’s all commented out. The only thing you need is a file named “dxvk.conf” in the folder next to the DLL. If you can’t get the HUD to show, maybe your game isn’t loading dxvk at all? I’ve tested using the 32 bit d3d9.dll from dxvk 1.7.

The display on the left of my game is from dxvk, the display on the right is from Rivatuner Statistics Server.

1 Like

I will take a look at it tomorrow. I suspect it has to do with Steam appcache, or you’re using Windows 7. One or the other :wink:

Both PCs are Win 10, one is 1909 and the other 2004.

Process Monitor has it crashing just after reading an appmanifest

If you need, I also have the crash dump files, but I’d rather not post them publicly as I have no idea what’s contained within them.

Don’t need it.

It might help if you provided copies of that appmanifest in the logs, as well as appinfo.vdf (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\appcache)

You can just upload them directly to the forum.

Appears to be related to appinfo.vdf. If I rename that file and then try SKIF it starts.

appinfo.vdf (5.2 MB)appmanifest_8000.acf (787 Bytes)

Try this please:

SKIF v 0.6.9.2 (1.7 MB)

Thanks again MIKE, i realize that i had to remove the (#) and only put as dxvk.hud = full without #
Thank you, are you playing torchlight II via Epicgames or steam?

And also are you having bad,bad fps during combat? even by trying the d3d9.dll from dxvk the game runs as Vulkan with fullscreen there are some issues that i cannot minimize the game or open tab in windows, so for this reason i play Windowed fullscreen. But problems with fps persist.

Seems like either my amd ryzen 5 1600 first generation has a low IPS, and no matter if OC the cpu cause game is one core? idk…

But thanks again. also thanks to Special K @Kaldaien , thanks to your forum I discovery/learned about dxvk hope a day to use your addon/mods too for different games too.

Mike Last question or to everyone here, is it okay to use dxvk or special k in steam games? or would i get ban? here in windows 10? cheers.

Oh by the way i was wrong I was not loading the dxvk.conf lol xD
What showed was the Environment variable from system cause there i created a variable like DXVK_HUD 1 and worked.

But still not loading the dxvk.conf i will re analyze and see if work.
The fps in the menu are actually between 300-400 but for some reason taking picture goes to 70

YES, it now working properly. thanks

As long as the game does not have anti-cheat protection or similar that might find issues with it, then yes, it’s generally fine to use.

1 Like

Works for me :+1:

Sorry, I don’t know much about Torchlight. When I downloaded it from Steam for the test yesterday it said the last time I played was in 2012. I’m not sure about FPS in/out of combat.

1 Like

It worked the first couple of times, then it stop working. I`ve got this message

Also the whitelist doesnt save the changes. Once I close the window and restart it. It`s blank

Can you click away the error message? Its just related to XInput (an API used for gamepads) so it’s no major concern. You can disable Special K’s use of the XInput API to navigate its in-game UI by following the instructions here: Special K - PCGamingWiki PCGW - bugs, fixes, crashes, mods, guides and improvements for every PC game

As for the whitelist, it’s located at Documents\My Mods\SpecialK\Global\whitelist.ini so feel free to edit that file manually through e.g. Notepad or similar text editor. If the file is missing, just create it.

I also tried another game, and got this message
APlagueTaleInnocence_x64_5LxZpnbZi7

I manage to fixed it, it was because i was already forcing it to 1 ← the variable, in the Windows system environment was already set to DXVK_HUD 1 which mean (on) with less info, i remove the variable
and then was working perfectly the d3d9+dxgi.dll with the dxvk.conf dxvk.hud = full

What i notice in some games, is that the dxvk seems to malfunctioning when (fullscreen) in a way that if you minimized it wont allow you minimized i mean you can press (windows bar) but if you try to open a program or folder it wont. this happened in Torch Light II and im guessing Farcry II

for some reason in farcry II i wasn’t able to run the vulkan at all, but it bugged the fullscreen.

Lastly but not least, in Torch Light II i noticed that when taking a print capture with windows capture or lightshoot the fps will drop in the menu of game from 400 to 70 fps.

So yeah dvxk doesn’t work properly in Windows.

Now it works. Thanks a lot. I’ve been searching for half rehresh vsync for a while but now my games are silky smooth with no tearing like on consoles

A general rule of thumb is to configure the game to run in borderless window mode if such a mode is available. Vulkan doesn’t really have a concept of “exclusive” fullscreen mode the way that DirectX did, and having games run in “fullscreen” mode (which Vulkan turns into a borderless fullscreen/window mode) can therefor cause weird interactions or whatever that regular borderless fullscreen/window mode would have.

From the perspective of performance, DXVK, Vulkan, etc, both modes would be essentially the same, however how the game itself handles them is differently.

1 Like