Horizon: Zero Dawn

Special K is incapable of adding anything to the game, it cannot render in D3D12. The engine’s confused about something. But this is the same engine that was trying to do HDR with an 8-bit color framebuffer, so confusion is its middlename.

The game itself is fine on its own nowadays after all of their patches. It’s possible that SK might still provide slightly better frame pacing, but it’s not a critical enough difference to make SK essential.

• Improved swap-chain buffering to allow for smoother frame-pacing
    Woah.

Took em long enough. That’s only been in my review of the game for 5 months now :stuck_out_tongue:

Up until 1.08, you still needed SK to fix the game’s framepacing.

It’s not so much needed anymore, but I can shave off the input latency they just added :slight_smile:

HDR Users:

SK_HZD_HDR.7z (7.5 MB)

Regular Users:

SK_HZD.7z (7.5 MB)

Please use Local Injection for compat. with the Steam overlay.

4 Likes

Thanks!
3 backbuffers on that, will it be fine with jii-sync?
R10G10B10… MONKA!

I have got to hand it to the devs for continuing to improve their game.
My 1% low FPS was at 53FPS in version 1.03, increased to 57FPS in version 1.05, 61FPS in version 1.06.
With version 1.08, my 1% low FPS is 66FPS. It’s enough that I can now run around Meridian without stutter.

I am /soooo/ glad to see them fix the game up in these various ways!

Seems my D3D12 render code is quite a bit more reliable now. I ran this game for a couple of hours w/ the HDR processing enabled and zero mishaps.

I don’t know what to do about overlay compatibility, it’s bad – real bad. The D3D12 debug layer indicates it’s nothing wrong on my end, but the overlays generally work without crashing on their own, so I’m confusing them somehow :-\

3 Likes

Nice to hear HDR’s going well, don’t have the proper hardware for getting it looking as intended and so far there’s been no major issues with the D3D12 build from that topic and for about an hour now in AC Valhalla this new build.

But since none of those overrides are enabled there’s no tangling up the swap chain and all these other third party software issues so there’s little I can say it’s working well as expected for the current progress but nothing of the advanced stuff is used either although D3D12 HDR support could be really useful but it doesn’t sound like the new coding practices and supported functionality helps much there’s still some problems and wonky behavior possibly third party software related possibly from what the title in question is doing with the API and how.

EDIT: Really nice to see further patches on Horizon Zero Dawn too fixing the major issues and now working in additional optimizations and other enhancements, taken a bit of time but the results are there and that’s impressive. :slight_smile:

This might partially explain why SteamInput is totally breaking this game:

11/24/2020 19:29:26.749: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Horizon Zero Dawn\steam_api64.dll:  [S_API FAIL] Tried to access Steam interface SteamInput001 before SteamAPI_Init succeeded.
1 Like

Interesting.

Is it even possible to query and init the S_API (SCAPI?) stuff before the Steam API itself.
If it wouldn’t fail outright with a big giant WTF red warning message during testing and debugging notifying the coder that maybe don’t do it like so it feels like it should wait until the other bit of the Steam API is actually loaded in.

Curious. Apparently possible to break but curious even so that it could be done.

EDIT: Well the error message appears clear enough at least unless some big pic or Steam client override is confusing the game the two are loaded but not in the right order.

Hmm.

They renamed the API to Steam Input API (SIAPI I guess) when it stopped being about just the Steam Controller, note. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah so that’s the proper name for it instead of the old one I found which is no longer used now then. :slight_smile:
(Since the input API covers much more than the Steam controller itself now.)

And yep I see and from some searching that there’s a lot that can break if the Steam API doesn’t initialize properly although further than that I can’t narrow it down much don’t have the right skills but it’s clear that things don’t go very well if the API fails to init for whatever reason.

Hmm wonder if something delays it from initializing as expected and that causes everything to act up.
Trying with the SpecialK Steam enhancements disabled perhaps would rule out the .dll being the cause but then what is or is it just that the game itself broke something or a update for the client might have caused some issues but that should be primarily for the beta builds if so.
(Bit of a bigger issue to slip through to the release builds after all.)

I was able to use the non HDR version to globaly inject on MHW and enable flip discard. Disabled Steam Overlay and RTSS.

– edit –
Performance is all over the place.
I can sustain 60 fps on this game, but with special k, after the start menu , it struggles to reach it, and a odd behavior that with vsync it would be capped to 30fps and i made sure i wasn’t forcing half refresh rate vsyng on the drivers.

Working fine, even shadowplay works correctly recording in HDR

This is the wrong thread :slight_smile:

I’m aware of some performance issues in MH:W, I may have a test version for that tomorrow. But, this thread should be reserved for discussion of Horizon: Zero Dawn. HZD runs quite well.

Roger! Unfortunately already finished HZD, great game!

Hi, is it normal to have a graph like this? i’m using specialk frame limiter set to 60 fps by default