Horizon: Zero Dawn

with 1.08 the frame pacing is totally fixed??

Its weird. Ever since the 1.08 patch + special k crashes intermittently for me. It can be within the first few minutes to an hour or so. I haven’t seen anyone say it crashes for them so its probably something funky on my end.

Tried resetting the SK config for the game? That usually tidies things up a bit.

So just paste this under the HZD install directory and edit the target res, nothing else?

EDIT: Is the latest SKIF still V0.7.1.3 (oct 9 020) ?

SKIF haven’t been updated for a while, so that sounds accurate.

Thanks, I just checked on the SK control panel and it shows G-Sync Stays unsupported but it feels. how to I fix this ?

G-Sync should be compatible with borderless and windowed mode which I think SpecialK has set as defaults or encourages over exclusive full-screen display mode.

From what I could find the primary one to check is the NVIDIA options for G-Sync first to ensure it’s set up to cover both.

For SpecialK it’s waitable swap chain support that I believe outright disables exclusive full-screen display if that is activated but it should be possible to get GSync working with these. :slight_smile:

EDIT: Think the toggle has been around long enough now so that the older drivers that required full-screen mode aren’t much of a concern, HZD on newer API’s like DX12 or Vulkan would also be run on fairly recent drivers minimizing any driver side problems and supporting the games in full.

That check isn’t possible in DirectX 12 games due to limitations in Nvidia’s API.

You can, however, sadly assume G-Sync is enabled and active.

If you really want confirmation of that, use the “FPS” counter of the monitor, which in reality is a refresh rate counter. If it changes along changes to the FPS limited, then VRR is engaged and working.

1 Like

1.09 is out.
(Via Reset Era: Horizon Zero Dawn: Complete Edition PC Performance Thread | Page 12 | ResetEra )

:open_mouth:

I am… bloooot… I remember being quite annoyed by that issue when playing the game.

God, I love the devs for continuing to work on the PC port.

1 Like

Yeah I thought 1.06 or 1.07 was fixing up things best as could be but the more major overhauls and changes that are still going on have been really impressive.

Wonder if the animation fix for vegetation means that the “stealth grass” no longer looks so weird but maybe that’s also intentional so players are highlighted to this particular type of terrain.

Sorta bent and static looking, didn’t take any screenshots of it myself but that should be a fairly OK example.

There’s a couple of indies that have been updated well and far as launch state to far improved the only other game that’s getting this sort of attention seems to be the Terminator one which was also really impressive to see.

Thorough overhauling of the entire engine and reworking of parts of the game, enhanced edition version in the works after all that including new content having been added as well.
(Really impressive for what was the developers behind the Rambo game and how that didn’t quite work out.)

Also longer term this makes me hopeful these lessons carry over and make the PC port of Horizon Zero Dawn 2 a lot smoother and less problematic plus potentially other heavily hinted towards but not yet revealed officially Sony PC port projects. :slight_smile:

EDIT: Hmm how to put it once the shader cache was done with the only real missing effect I found a bit of a disappointment was anisotropic filtering but then they’ve done three or four patches with I think 1.10 planned as well so this isn’t the end of it either. :slight_smile:

A whole bunch of additional fixes and improvements, really nice to see.

Based on that patch it fixed AMD’s HDR issue.

game loads fine with default ini, but crashes if i change to borderless or fullscreen. i also found a pre-configured ini from this video but it crashes even with borderless and fullscreen set to false.

Try the latest version, I released a nightly build about an hour ago:

Rename SpecialK64.dll to dxgi.dll

It’s impressive how much performance has improved since this game first shipped.

SK now has in-game overlay support for its framepacing graph, that would have been helpful when it shipped, it’s not nearly as much now. My limiter still smooths things out quite a bit, but it’s not the absolute must-have fix it was originally.

1 Like

Ya, that game realy needed more love, and i’m glad they fixed it.

Nier Automata also deserved that … but Square Enix …

Does OSD works on DX12 now? Or just the widgets ?

Just the widgets for now.

A friend of mine has had some audio crackle and perhaps some stutters as well when using the same settings as me; the recommended borderless windowed settings, minus the backbuffer=2, which causes the game to crash at start. Leaving at =-1 is fine. Says the crackling happens whenever any frames drop by any amount below the cap, current cap being 60.

Curious if anyone knows why that is happening, or what is causing it. Can provide a pastebin of the settings if requested.

By the way, the on-screen display works in Kaldaien’s latest specialk dll version that you can find in his #releases on discord. Ctrl + shift + backspace in-game and it comes up, along with the banner up top when the game boots up.

I’d recommend just removing the Special K config file entirely and start from scratch. Any ‘recommended’ presets were for non-DirectX 12 enabled versions of Special K and intended for an unpatched copy of the game. Following the patches of the game, those same suggestions/recommendations don’t really apply any longer.

Throw in latest version of Special K to the game, leave every option to their default, set the FPS limiter to what you want, you’re basically finished.

The OSD that’s spoken of is the yellow OSD text in the top left corner of the game. This feature (which relies on “CEGUI”) will never be compatible with DirectX 12. Kaldaien is planning to re-implement that OSD functionality using the modern widget/control panel-based UI that is the ones that exclusively work in DirectX 12 for now.

Backbuffers must be set to 3, they patched the game recently and changed that.