Horizon: Zero Dawn

Borderless is better, the game doesn’t apply refresh rate correctly to fullscreen mode unless you make multiple mode changes. Avoid all that hassle by just using windowed mode instead.

1 Like

Probably the swapchain wait handle, I had to make that leak so that DXVK would not crash if a latency waitable swapchain was in use. It duplicates the wait handle, but it should be a nop unless the game is doing something strange.

@Kaldaien
Well that’s interesting. Going borderless gave me the same amount of smoothness. Wonder why I got such improvement over the latest version after using 0.7.0.3 o.O .

Though the handles do keep creeping up and I am now over 300K now with cpu handles.

Screenshot_1764

Edit:
That would explain it lol. I did kinda notice some flickering of textures but as long as I do my targetfps at 144 same as my monitor it seems to make the game butter smooth :slight_smile:

Edit2:
it did fix the animations issues as well rofl. So gotta say it works like a charm.

Interestingly I didn’t have that redist, but it seems not to have helped. Even with SpecialK.dxgi in the hzd folder, and the name in the whitelist it still doesn’t create a profile.

It looks like “Skip using SKIF and just use SpecialK64.dll renamed to dxgi.dll” worked though. Well it crashed my game, but it created a dxgi.ini file which is new behavior so I assume it’s working. Time to edit the ini.

Funnily enough, I now don’t have mouse control when I use SK.
I tried updating to the new version, still happens.
Both Fullscreen and Borderless mode.
Thoughts?

EDIT:
Don’t know why but now it works. Have not changed anything.

EDIT 2 so I don’t overflow forum:
Anyone seeing the issue where you turned around quick and NPC cloaks just go up and down?

Negative mouse acceleration happens above 30 FPS as another timing issue although input not doing anything should be a separate problem from that.

Twitter update confirmed that they are looking into things and working on reports but remained vague as to what these will be so still nothing for what the upcoming first patch might focus on fixing.

Also seems some effects might break above certain resolutions, saw some of the screenshot sharing users mentioning SSR went problematic at 3840x2160 and higher so there’s all kinds of things going on and then possibly further unknown problems or more specific issues or less immediately noticeable errors.

Something for some late desert area tanking framerate too but that could be from any number of reasons.

This doesn’t really do much for resolving anything but it’s just a further confirm if that was even needed that there’s work to be done on the port and hopefully the publisher gives the developers or the studio they’ve hired to do the PC port enough time and resources to commit to fixing a majority of these problems. :slight_smile:

Hello,
i’m trying to use special k with horizon (never used before), i followed the tutorial but i have this issue :

i don’t understand how to get :

Injection strategy : global
Injection dll : Specialk64.dll
Config root : Centralized
Config file : Specialk.ini

like the picture of the first post by Kaldaien

any idea?

thanks

i downloaded the specialk64,dll abd did the config for fullscreen mode

when i start via SKIF i get the sound from metal gear solid (the alert sound)

and the game crashes after. without any error

any ideas what i do wrong?

Hi, same problem as Call_me_Karl_Uwe_pls.
Downloaded Special K, switched the .dll with the one posted above, changed the .ini file (d3d12 true, all others false, 60HZ, 1920x1080 etc)… If I start the game while Global Injection is running I get a short black screen, the MGS sound and a crash to desktop. Same if I use the dxgi.dll method.

Regarding to above mentioned problems with SKIF not creating the Profile (plus .ini file etc.)… Had the same problem until I deleted the Special K folder in “My Mods” and ran it again as Administrator in compatibility settings. “Maybe” that’s what solved it…

I don’t understand how you only have 1 Steam game installed on your entire computer :slight_smile:

Start Global Injection, run the game once, exit SKIF and start SKIF again.

You normally would not have to exit / restart SKIF, but you only have 1 game installed, so it’s not going to refresh the Config file.

I had (well, am having) the same issue of doing the .dll switch with the .ini file edits intended for exclusive fullscreen, and having it instantly ctd with the mgs sound. My solution has been to start the game without the injector from steam, turn it to borderless, exit, start injector and then start via the Special K launcher, and then switch to exclusive fullscreen. It works fine from there, can alt+tab and everything.

It’s a bit of a fuss, so will probably switch back to the old .dll and the borderless method with the .ini linked from the main post entry, but it’s a workaround for now.

That’s for the better anyway. Unless you need the game to change your refresh rate, there’s no real reason to use fullscreen exclusive mode.

So handles now in CPU Handles is around 2mil now lol. I had the game on almost all day. Also on side note I missed package that was lenovo PC for my mother’s 50th Bday. So now I have to get it at UPS … Just great man.

I am using the new fix which supports fullscreen but after sometime (like 30-60 mins) always when im in inventory or shop menu my game just hangs and i have to manually stop it from task manager. Till then it works perfectly, donno what is causing this. What im doing wrong ?

Edit: So its now crashing the game after a min of opening the shop menu or inventory. I can roam the world or do quests just fine.

Edit 2 : Tried switching to previous version with default SpecialK.dll but its still crashing everytime i go in the shop menu. Open world its not crashing at all.

Manual installation by renaming specialk dll into dxgi vs. Skif app is the same effect?

I am using the global injection through the Skif only.

Here’s an updated build that eliminates handle leaks for waitable swapchains, and tries to be a bit smarter about fullscreen flip model overrides.

SpecialK64.7z (7.5 MB)

I still don’t recommend fullscreen exclusive for much of anything, but if you’ve got software configured to use it instead of a borderless window, this should be a little more compatible.

1 Like

Does this version have any improvements for those using borderless or is it just for fullscreen exclusive?

Thanks for everything you do, btw.

99% certain waitable swapchains is for windowed.

It works for all types of swapchains, but the way I use the feature primarily benefits windowed mode. I basically turn off V-Sync and build my own clock :slight_smile: It’s like NVIDIA FastSync, only with a brain.