Horizon: Zero Dawn

So this fixed the issues I was having with the game. Fixed the crashes and the performance stuttering. Now the issue I have is whenever I go into the settings menu in game and then exit it, my camera completely stops working. I have to exit the game to fix it.

Wonder if that’s part of the mouse issues Kaldaien mentioned at some point earlier in the discussion, grabbing input the wrong way and some compatibility with that which was resolved but maybe it came back?

That only applies to the mouse input though if you are using a gamepad it’s something else acting up here.

I am using mouse and keyboard. Like I said it’s completely random. I was able to play for like 2 hours (until my game crashed) and didn’t have a single issue with the camera not working the second time.

Does that mean there is a new SK version out?

@Kaldaien, but which one do you recommend now? FullScreen or Borderless for this game?

That Would be good to know

Since switching to this build the game crashes when trying to do a manual save at campfires, quicksave still works. I think this didn’t happen with the normal build and the config from Horizon: Zero Dawn - #36 by Kaldaien, not 100% sure though.

I tried to manually save on my end as well but didn’t experience the issue. Can you confirm by renaming dxgi.dll that it’s actually Special K that is causing it?

And what anti-virus protection are you using? Some (such as BitDefender) have an “active threat component” that basically gets injected into all processes and then scans reads/writes from within the process and can cause weird issues at times, and is known to conflict with Special K.

The game tends to not make the initial transition into Fullscreen Exclusive unless you alt-tab in/out. It behaves that way with or without SK.

I am sorry but that’s not true; I only experience this behavior with SK.
When I run the game Fullscreen Exclusive WITHOUT SK, it launches in Fullscreen Exclusive right away.
When I run the game Fullscreen Exclusive WITH SK, it first starts bordered windowed and then i alt-tab out/in and it goes Fullscreen Exclusive.
It’s fully reproduce-able, I can maybe record this evening.

I’ve been using the SKIM 0.7.0.3 Global Injection with the config and SpecialK64.dll replaced with the ones from Kaldaiens Post instead of the dxgi.dll injection method - maybe that’s the problem?

I can manual save without issues with the Global Injection Service stopped.

No anti-virus except for Windows Defender.

Edit: can confirm manual saving does not crash with the default SpecialK64.dll and the older config from here: Horizon: Zero Dawn - #36 by Kaldaien.

I haven’t tried the previous version so it might be that all versions of Special K are affected, but with this latest version I noticed that the game leaks handles when Special K is injected as dxgi.dll. Not having Special K injected has the game use about ~950 handles after I’ve loaded into the game. Having Special K injected has it grown to 4,000 and keeps growing constantly.

This by itself does not seem to be much of an issue though as I was able to play 1-2 hours just now with a handle count of upwards of 240k without any noticeable issues.

1 Like

Do I replace the while config files with just those lines you quoted and change the target fps,as I see a lot of config lines not present on your post vs the default config.

Hi, so i managed to get it working on EGS version, but everytime i changed my display mode to exclusive fullscreen or borderless it immediately crashes. Any idea?

I knew that was causing me troubles. When I looked at Task manager it was using close to 20 % of my CPU on top of whatever HZD was using. I had gotten into habit of ending that task in task manager and my game ran smoothly for most part. When its running alongside game it causes massive amount of stutter and stupid stuff to happen.

Actually you are mistaken. Based of Digital Foundries video they show that fullscreen doesn’t work properly unless you alt tab and back in into the game. That it doesn’t set properly at all and have to do this multiple times. This was noticed on day 1 lunch as well.

Then it’s quite possible that it launches as borderless until I alt-tab out and I have not noticed, and with SK it just launches as bordered which is why I have noticed :slight_smile:

Getting crash after game boots up.
Crash Log: HZD Crash Log 1 - Pastebin.com
SpecialK Log: HZD SpecielK Log 1 - Pastebin.com

Edit:
Seems game won’t load ReShade in Fullscreen mode without crash.

Edit2:
Fixed it. Apparently my monitor was set to 120 hz and ingame I had hz set to 144. So I changed my display back to 144hz. Don’t know why that was even the case. But that seemed to fix my issue. Also Crash Handler is still booting up with the game with fullscreen fix.

Edit3:

So I will say this, the game now definitely is much smoother on my end on Fullscreen mode now. With SpecialK Tweaks in place. Haven’t had almost any stutters and at bare minimum which is a plus. Loving this so far.

With a 144 hz monitor, what TargetFPS did you set @HolyDeath3000 to get smoother gameplay?

Well I had originally set it to 72 but then I noticed some light flickering and texture flickering. So I then set it to 144 using Hotkey. That removed the flickers of lighting and textures. Seems to work fine for me. :slight_smile:

Macros I posted in my ini file are:
[Macro.FPS]
Ctrl+Shift+1=TargetFPS 72
Ctrl+Shift+2=TargetFPS 48
Ctrl+Shift+3=TargetFPS 36
Ctrl+Shift+4=TargetFPS 144

Hmm, no matter how much I try using the hotkeys doesn’t seem to change anything for me.

I’ll just put the default TargetFPS to 144 and call it a day then, since I’ve no clue why the macros don’t get triggered.

That’s weird its not working. Did you check benchmarks to see if they worked? usually at end of benchmark it will show the locked fps as avg. Top Left corner. Also you have to kinda hold ctrl shift and press the number after. I usually do it in order.

@Kaldaien
Will say this the smoothness of game is like night and day. Even Sundow is damn smooth. The capital city of Carja. Not sure if I spelt that right.

@Aemony
Yeah I am getting over 200K handles too in CPU task manager as well. Not sure if it keeps climbing.