HDR for "Rise of the Tomb Raider"?

Maybe an issue with the specific SpecialK-Version? I have SK_0_11_0_45_and_SKIF_0_6_9_3. The previous versions doesn’t load at my system.

EDIT: Have to write here because i reached the max. number of replies for new users :slight_smile:

I fixed it!

The problem was a screenshot-tool named “Screenpresso” which i have installed on my system. This tool somehow breaks the fullscreen/gsync-function. After deactivation, GSYNC works fine in combination with SK and HDR. Strange that this issue only appears when HDR is enabled.

@GPUnity Thanks a lot for your support! I really appreciate it.

@Kaldaien I have to say that SpecialK is awesome. Great work! :slight_smile:

I found a new issue with ROTTR HDR:

When i enable HDR in ROTTR, the flashlight spot is missing in the game (see linked screenshots). That is the case in both cutscenes and in-game. For example it’s pretty obvious at the beginning of the game at the london-cutscene before syria. Also you can see this in “blood ties” where lara has the flashlight on almost all of the time. With HDR enabled there is no flashlight spot visible on walls and materials (makes the flashlight almost unusable ;)).

Here are the screenshot:

https://imgur.com/a/0nKvskY

@GPUnity @Kaldaien: Any ideas?

@Kaldaien: Is there any way that i can do more posts in this thread before tomorrow evening? Would help a lot :slight_smile:

I’m running the same version. I suggest fiddling around with both Presentation Interval and Backbuffer Count, see if that triggers G-Sync - i don’t know what values are “suitable” to try, better to wait for Kal for answers.

Other suggestions: make sure frame limiting is disabled in the SK window, and V-Sync is off in the game settings. Also check there’s nothing in the NVCP that could be interfering.

Don’t do this.

That is an awful unrelated hack that makes the NVIDIA driver speed up / slow down the DWM to match the refresh cycle of the active window. It basically draws the foreground window correctly and everything in the background either tears or stutters.

Since I assume 99.9% of people playing games in windowed mode are doing so with a window that covers the entire screen, that setting is not even relevant because there are no other visible windows. All that enabling that will do is make non-game applications (e.g. web browsers) behave weird.

Anyway, that’s about 100x more information than anyone needed to know :stuck_out_tongue: Just don’t ever enable that.

Oh? Well it’s a good thing i never play in windowed mode, lol.

-1 = Use whatever the game is setup for.

If you set -1 and have VSYNC turned off in-game, that is effectively the same as 0.
If you set -1 and have VSYNC turned on, that’s the same as 1.

I’d just go ahead and always make a point to set this to 1 (VSYNC). Don’t even bother messing with the game’s V-Sync setting since it’s easier to open SK’s control panel and change between 0 and 1 :slight_smile:

Make sure your in-game resolution is equal to desktop resolution, otherwise G-Sync doesn't work in windowed mode.

Cool :smiley:

I’m not sure what your Screenshot tool is for, but SK basically covers game screenshots. You can capture HDR screenshots now, with an SDR version being saved for Steam.

Ok, i fixed the HDR-spotlight-issue. After i deactivated “Remaster 11-Bit Render Passes” the spotlight appears again :smiley:

Ok, after i successfully configured everything i tried to install specialk local to my ROTTR-directory. Till now i only used SK over “global injection”. Here is what i did:

1. copied “SpecialK64.dll” to my game-directory and renamed it to “dxgi.dll”
  2. copied “dxgi.ini” from “My Mods\SpecialK\Profiles\Rise of the Tomb Raider” to the game-directory

After stopping the global-injection-service and starting ROTTR, SK is available which is fine. But somehow SK ignores the local SK-settings-file (dxgi.ini) in the game directory. When i delete the game-profile under “My Mods” then all SK-settings are lost and i had to configure everything again. After that the profile-files are again in my “My Mods”-directory.

So how can i place the sk-settings directly in my game-directory? Have i done anything wrong?

Ensure that global injection isn’t running and that there is no SpecialK.central file in the game folder (it tells local SK installs to use the global profile map).

1 Like

Exactly that was the problem. After deleting this file, everything works as it should :slight_smile: . Many thanks!

hi how are you .
i saw your answer to ROTR HDR , i try do it , but the game force closes when i try to open it which the special k mod on.
i did set the -nolaunch option in steam. but the game opens and closes right away , what can it be blocking it . can you help me .

thanks

Make sure the game is running in Dx11 mode.

This version supports HDR in D3D11 and D3D12 in that game now:

dxgi.7z (7.6 MB)

It’ll work with global injection too, but you’ll need to make sure RTSS / Steam Overlay are disabled for stability.

thank you, i didnt check this before. i pu the file in the ROTR folder where the .exe that’s how is suppose to be done right ?
to get reshade working with it , what do i need to do? i do miss the sharpening tool. it also is working with Control.

is it me , but playing the game with her on , it feels like a new game

ReShade doesn’t work correctly with HDR. I’m working on updating ReShade to support HDR in my spare time, but I’ve got a lot of other stuff on my plate too right now ;-\

1 Like

i was just asking, i just missed the sharpening tool. i think i can get it to run through radeon settings.

thanks for answering …

Hello, I am stuck with this game. I originally had it working just fine without doing anything extra, but after a couple of times, the game would start and immediately close. I did the -nolauncher command in Steam, tried both fullscreen and exclusive fullscreen, and even tried the dxgi file. The dxgi file allowed me to get into the game and select HDR, but after restarting the game its clear that nothing is being applied. The sliders do nothing and no options change anything. What am I doing wrong?

RTSS is the only thing I know of that crashes the game’s launcher. It can also break HDR, so it’s entirely possible you have a third-party overlay of some sort causing problems. Not necessarily RTSS, that’s just the only one that immediately comes to mind.

Dammit, how could I overlook that? For some dumb reason I thought that turning “show own statistics” off was enough but as soon as I closed RTSS, the game loaded just fine. Thank you!

Hi everyone,

i wanted to try this after i read about HDR implementation by Nixxes, which apparentely was never finished.

But I can´t make it work. Windows HDR enabled. Game in Exclusive fullscreen. I have tried both Steam (-nolauncher) and Epic versions of the game. Two different versions of SK. If I launch DX11, I don´t see HDR settings at all. In DX12 there is sometimes (not every time) checkbox Enable HDR, but no settings for it.

Is it necessary to modify files in game folder? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you