Games with broken HDR

Patched version of Special K that avoids input-related crashing at game startup:

SpecialK64.7z (7.6 MB)

+ Fixed GetProcAddress (...) caching that causes input-related issues in
    games that use the wrong XInput DLL for they system they are running
3 Likes

The game definitely seems a bit smoother, thanks.

Some effects are still broken such as UI and water. enabling texture caching makes all textures load at their lowest LOD for some reason.

The texture caching bug occurs with both HDR enabled and disabled. Water and UI are just with HDR enabled.

1 Like

Same results for me. Also requires 8bit for HDR.

That too. 10 bit, 11 bit and selecting nothing cause a black screen with erratic white pixels.

Fixed a bug that was preventing The Witcher 3 from working with 11-bit remastering enabled. Said bug was also making startup in Batman: Arkham Knight sporadic.

SpecialK64.7z (7.6 MB)

Itā€™s possible this fixes some of those other crashes mentioned in the table.

2 Likes

Something seems wrong with Global Injection in this build. Call of Duty: Ghosts and Sunset Overdrive donā€™t load SK anymore. Tried Ghosts with manual injection and it still crashes. Iā€™ll keep testing.

IL2 Sturmovik crashes with HDR enabled.

I donā€™t even know WTF that is :slight_smile:

I assume you mean this?

All the other games with that title are D3D9 or older.

I found a very funny ā€œbugā€ in Trails of Cold Steel 2 that somewhat breaks the charactersā€™ faces when HDR is on.

Do you have a 32-bit build for this fix? I can try to test it after work, and provide screenshots if it doesnā€™t work. But for some reason I think the bug comes from something in the game itself, not from SpecialK.

Iā€™ve retested what I could from the list (some games, like Sunset Overdrive, require global injection so I couldnā€™t test those) no compatibility differences besides the global injection regression.

SpecialK32.7z (6.3 MB)

Problem appears to be on your end only.

Not only does Global Injection work in that game, HDR also works without any problems once 10-bit remastering is turned off.

Found the problem. Some games require Steam be ran as admin in order to work. For those games SKIF also needs to be ran as admin.

Hmm, okay.

There seems to be another problem though, where I have to reset the config file every time or HDR doesnā€™t work. So the game stays on the compatibility no-go list for now.

Gameā€™s an interesting one in HDR, colors are surreal. I donā€™t think I actually like this, lol. Itā€™s a bit over the top. Maybe this is the first game that will make use of the saturation slider? I think most people would usually go the other direction (+ saturation), but thatā€™s a ridiculous idea for this game.

Thereā€™s also an obnoxious green flicker that I thought I was responsible for, but turns out to be the gameā€™s Depth of Field. HDR makes that much more broken than it is in vanilla broken mode :slight_smile:

Good news. Sunset Overdrive, Strike Suit Zero ADR1FT and Red Faction: Armageddon are now fixed.

Red Faction Armageddon requires Steam to be ran as admin in order to save in game settings.

Sunset Overdrive always had an over the top kind of art style to be fair. Iā€™ll be picking up the SX in a few weeks (if I can get hold of one) Iā€™ll let you know how AutoHDR will compare but I have a feeling theyā€™ll be pretty similar. HDR isnā€™t always a good fit for every game afterall.

1 Like

lolā€¦ (if I can get a hold of one). Good luck with that. I would have one myself if I knew the magic word ā€“ itā€™s not eBay, that much I damn sure know.

As for the Auto-HDR feature, I think itā€™s going to struggle in this one particular game. The tonemapper they used is a trained AI, since they have to train it using games with HDR and thereā€™s no game I know of in existence that looks like Sunset overdrive does (that has an HDR implementation), thereā€™s no applicable training set. The AIā€™s going to show off the meaning of artificial :slight_smile:

That said, I do still envy Microsoft for having this system. I canā€™t accomplish the breadth of their range enhancements without a tonemap curve that only an AI could consider correct. Shame the two systems cannot be combined, because I know I can solve the UI problems and I also enhance the precision of HDR intermediate render passes rather than working with just the final image the way Microsoft does.

Apparently thereā€™s warehouses full of the things and the limit was just to generate hype. I hope thatā€™s true.

The only game I can think of that kinda comes close is Crackdown 3. Itā€™s got a lot less saturation though and Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s DX12 only.

Mirrors Edge has a kinda cel shaded look with HDR similar to Sunset Overdrive but the HDR is only available on the One X version due to emulation. Itā€™s a D3D9 game too so Special K canā€™t inject HDR into it to compare the differences.

In-engine FMVs look absolutely terrible in HDR, Iā€™m eager to see how Xbox Series X handles those. My HDR completely falls apart when they show up because the source image is only 8-bit and thereā€™s no image detail left when you expand that out to HDR range.

This is why Iā€™ve been putzing around with VLC, but Iā€™ve seen enough 8-bit video now to come to the conclusion itā€™s not a solvable problem.

The only example I can think of would be Forza Horizon 3. The logo videos are SDR and the HDR the game uses makes it have extreme colour banding. I think Vanquishā€™s anniversary edition may be a similar scenario but I donā€™t have it to test.

Forza Horizon 3 supports HDR? Thatā€™s a pretty old game (relative to HDR support on any platform). Probably not a good example of anything, lol. As bad as HDR support is right now (think various PC overlays, video capture, support detection, proprietary APIs, ā€¦) it was much worse back then.

The Xbox Series X is going to have a whole other can of worms to deal with in the FMV department as wellā€¦ resolution. In addition to being 8-bit, those videos are probably on the order of 720p and expected to stand-in for a game thatā€™s running at 4K (lol).

Itā€™s truly bizarre when you see an FMV at 1/4 the resolution of the rest of the game basically just a pre-recording of something that could have been done in real-time if the developer spent any time optimizing cutscenes. That practice has got to end, itā€™s definitely not sustainable in HDR since macroblocking and all that good stuff just gets amplified when you expand the dynamic range.