Games with broken HDR

Discard flip :smiley:

I donā€™t think Special K even supports sequential flip as an option, actually.

Technically, I doā€¦ on Windows 8 it will fallback to Sequential. Discard was added in Windows 10.

I donā€™t even know if SKā€™s D3D11 features work in Windows 8 anymore, havenā€™t tested it in years. Since weā€™re talking HDR here, it doesnā€™t even matter :slight_smile:

Well, going by the monthly Steam survey, itā€™s not as if many users cares all that much either.

And just imagine ā€“ little less than two and a half year remaining until Microsoft ends extended support for that OS as well!

Is there any way to make SKs HDR work in Batman: Arkham Knight or is it a dead end ?

No idea why it wouldnā€™t work. I cannot test it at the moment, but I donā€™t remember anything abnormal about B:AK, aside from texture streaming insanity.

B:AK crashes on startup for me, even with HDR disabled.

Iā€™m surprised its working. I usually get UE4 crashes when trying to handle Fallen Order (Always crashes in the pause menu).

Iā€™m beginning to suspect your B:AK crashes and issues with Fallen Order are related. SK is perfectly compatible with both of those games, in fact it was designed for Batman: Arkham Knight and then I turned it into a general tool.

You should probably try and isolate third-party overlays, video capture software, and so forth, they are almost certainly doing something unusual on your system.

B:AK crashes with me as well, but I did get it to work once. However, it looked really weird, like the textures werenā€™t loading in properly.

Iā€™m not sure what it could be. Iā€™m running a relatively fresh OS installation with all third party overlays disabled (Steam/Origin/Nvidia/Windows).

Testing some more, the best settings I could find are 8 bit turned on, 10 bit turned off, and 11 bit turned on. Even then, it still crashes 2/3 time. And when it doesnā€™t crash, there are still issues. I managed to fix the texture loading problem by disabling texture caching, but there were still issues with the water/rain, as well as some signs/decals not rendering properly.

The issues with signs:

The issues with water:

1 Like

@Kaldaien Any chances that some of the games will get revisited to maybe solve the HDR problem? The only game that Iā€™d love to play with HDR is FO4.

Mmm, Fallout 4 in HDR would be great.

With the newest SK version (0.11.0.50), HDR finally works in Fallout 4 !

Edit: I had to turn off all the remasters options for HDR to work.

1 Like

I am pretty sure that it always worked, users were just not aware that Fallout 4 had a special plug-in configuration section in the INI file needed to turn Flip Model on.

For historical purposes and not much else ā€”

^^^ Fallout 4 happens to be the very first game that I ever modified to use DXGI Flip Model. It also was where Special Kā€™s texture caching feature got its start.

4 Likes

I managed to play Fallout IV with hdr (10 and 11 bit remastered options), gsync activated, flip model and texture caching, with the actual version of SK
Several crashes to desktop but only in ultra, in high and medium graphics settings, the game goes well
Maybe Itā€™s some option of the game in ultra that is not optimized, and SK is not involved with the crashes

You need to turn off the PhysX ā€˜Debrisā€™ feature. It causes most crashes.

That was it. Thought the problem was the VRAM starvation, because this game consumes all VRAM available, but putting off the weapon debris option, the crashes disappeared
Thanks!

Fallout 4 confirmed to be fixed without any tweaks as of the latest buiild.

Just tested Fallout 4, it crashes when trying to create a new game with Special K enabled. That is with weapon debris disabled.