Why I hate Steam Moderation

It’s taken forever to get users with things like Nazi symbolism like the Swastika off the Steam forums if that’s a metric for how the moderation is and that might mostly have been because Germany threw a complaint about certain imagery that forced Valve to actually act.

Plus some of the Steam communities and groups but that’s been a problem for Sony and Microsoft as well but a report there tends to be effective and quick.

https://video-images.vice.com/_uncategorized/1508426062430-group1.png

(Much of this has been cleaned up since though so at least that’s something.)

EDIT: And yeah the Swastika in itself is just a sun symbol both mirrored and non-mirrored variants and a ton of other looks for it through multiple cultures but there’s a bit of a difference between that and the full thing like this.

https://i.imgur.com/faX1mAb.jpg

Though not actually banned just a private profile now with a name and avatar change.
https://www.steamgifts.com/discussion/dvAWS/how-the-hell-is-this-person-not-permanently-banned-yet

I don’t particularly care what dark ideal ppl march too. It just means they hate me and everyone else. Not much different than satanism, or anarchy. Its just another aggressive violent ideal that helps no one and pushes the edge cause thats what kiddos like these days.

As a 36 year old jaded human being, I find what most of these gamers are into to not only be obnoxious but downright angering. Some think its funny, or downplay it, I don’t, any bad ideal just means they want me and other people dead. I don’t care who excuses it. Nazism is just one example that more people are triggered by cause most NORMAL (meaning public, not the internet) people hate nazi’s.

But there’s far more than that all over gaming being promoted by idiots. And yet, ban us for a year for opinions. I don’t personally care if anyone marches to hitler, dude was a giant F up and brought his country to ruin. But if that’s the kinda loser these people wanna back thats their choice. But whats up with the tos contradictions? Ban people for slight necroing and opinions, but ignore nazi, commie, and hate talk? Ignore blatant anti female threads? They are not enforcing their tos, they are breaking their own tos by ignoring this.

Its the double standards that piss me off and more people should be pissed off. I never played a valve game I liked. Left for dead was ok at first till I realized its just spam charges. Just the same thing over and over again, and all of valves products are recycled first person garbage. They can’t make a unique game other than zzzz jump through portals. Most of valves games are overrated trash.

I don’t like valve in the least bit and I wish I never had to do business with any of the slime balls. Worse game company I have ever done business with in my 30 plus years and I’ve had all the consoles. I strongly support that opinion valve is a disrespectful filth company and an example of capitalisms evolution over the customers. It owns the pc market cause of japanese developers, nothing they did.

Cause the console exclusive japanese software is all thats keeping people from jumping ship. All the good american companies have their own clients. I’m not that interested I prefer japanese developers and japanese games so I’m stuck with either console or garbage steam who locked down the whole industry so they can abuse their users.

1 Like

It seems that the HTML for a post needs to be rebuilt after updating the word filter to apply the changes to the post. Basically click on the wrench and then Rebuild HTML on an individual comment.

I’ve done so now with my post to allow the latest changes to the filter to apply.

Yeah the human factor to moderator decisions and the explosive growth the last few years for Valve and Steam itself after a fairly slow progression and growth.

Indie games in particular but they pretty much dominate the PC games market (Which is also now almost entirely digital.) well Valve has implemented some good features and improvements but there are a lot of issues as well.

Not sure of a good solution to it either, most examples like the ones I provided are mostly symptoms of problems like slow to act and then Kaldaien and your posts where you might also run into bias and non-impartial decisions plus the core system with increasingly lengthy timed bans and integration of a large part of the Steam API and functionality together with the community and user profile.

Criticize enough devs I wonder if that would eventually build up to a year long ban or more and then the problems with appealing it if that works at all.

Some of the images that Kaldaien has posted as examples I think should have led to a more thorough follow up, banning the wrong user or possibly a misquote from the moderator along with moderators not filling out the ban reason or giving some vague non-descriptive reason which other users get nothing at all or just a warning for similar behavior.

Growth is a thing too though, millions of users and reports and only so many mods plus outsourcing as a possible method and potential problems from this as well although this is common in the industry in general not just Valve.

I mostly just do what seems to be the simplest and avoid the community forum discussions for the most part trying to be a bit helpful or provide info and maybe some light posting but otherwise it’s reading only and staying out of more heated topics in particular especially if this system is weighted in some way and some users can mass report some other user into more immediate moderator response and action being taken even if it’s not investigated or followed up on properly first.

EDIT: But I guess the forums are fairly hostile overall so staying out of discussion topics aren’t that much of a trade-off and it’s a bit like some of the more chaotic I don’t know Reddit channels maybe at times.

There’s little to gain although the user reviews can at least be helpful and some topics and discussions go fairly well although the bigger “AAA” tier type stuff is probably going to be messy just from the amount of active users alone and how some topics like the obligatory Denuvo one generates a lot of hostility and what not.
(Trolling, misinformation I don’t really know how to describe it better.)

Yea, pretty much you can do what you want if you kiss mod/admin @$$, the tos is not properly enforced at all there are double standards everywhere and everyone gets punished if someone doesn’t like your opinion. But strangely the mods avoid the most toxic of issues. I guess the only thing you can do is ignore it and don’t take part. I wish I’d known they ban for petty garbage and at random. I don’t even hold grudges online or flame anyone. Its a waste of time for anyone to do, and they don’t even care about spam or doxing. They are fighting the users, the normal everyday users, and empowering scum. Its a terribly toxic place.

And the bans restrict your whole profile, more people need to be warned to watch out for the steam mod/admins cause they will ban you for anything they can make up. But will ignore the worst, like I said, Killainstinct posted a text swastica. It wasnt a hindu one. It was red and black. We all know what that swastica was. I wouldn’t put it past these people. Some gamers are nice and generous and wonderful people who I’m close friends with. Others promote the most sick garbage imaginable and I don’t think mods/admins are above this mentality. Lotta gamers were raised on kill and battle for points. They don’t get the right lessons from things, they see something evil or violent they think its cool instead of seeing it how it is. I don’t think GTA should be banned. Do I think CJ is a hero, hell no… The dude suffocated construction workers alive with concrete for cat calls. Some gamers get the wrong idea of everything they see filth, and they think its the way to be, or telling some further knowledge and go on about abstract morality and all this edgy nonsense…

Its really no wonder some act the way they do in legions. It might be disturbing to some, but for me it just annoys the crap outa me and makes me angry. These little punk bastards are spreading around filth and they don’t seem to care and I’m getting sick of getting banned for talking about a game while they promote Fing hitler.

Its like this all over the internet now. And the mods/admins at steam don’t give a damn that’s who they sell to.

Another huge problem is, whoever gets these extreme bans, with the whole red banner and everything… Well they are purged and silenced from the main steam community. They can’t share their experiences, just on other websites like this one or reddit. We need to share how we feel and spread it around that these people are in no way good guys. They are not enforcing good common sense rules. They have turned a client thats suppose to be fun and engaging, into a jungle full of ambush predators. Its frickin insane how that place is moderated. And I can’t stand Matt, Killa, Tito, or any of those smug pieces of dog shit… Excuse my language sorry about that. If you need to ban me here go right ahead I’m not a regular. I just noticed this thread because I look for anything thats bashing steam mods/admins cause I frickin can’t stand those obnoxious scumbags.

I support your opinion 100% op and people need to spread this to every frickin gamer they can. And valve apologists need to know what the hell people are getting punished for cause according to them we’re all dirty dogs that deserve it.

Steam forums are cancer, and the moderators are a big part of the problem. Further, his software enables sales on Steam that would otherwise be refunded or not done at all (see FAR for Nier: Automata). Honestly, Valve has become an arrogant, lazy jackass of a corporation.

tbh I’d accept a perm ban to discussion forums BUT the issue is when The Big V bans you they literally ■■■■ up other areas that aren’t related to where you were banned – like disabling editing your profile, disabling the ability to make reviews, and privatizing your entire profile. Plus their rules and guidelines were last updated god knows when.

I just started an appeal on my 1 year ban today… [thanks random hub bans] cause of course the 1 year ban was automatic and not actually investigated fml. I basically made the case to give me a modified ban, keep the forums closed but let me make some goddamn reviews for shit I paid for and let me edit my ■■■■■■■ name lol, so pathetic these social aspects are on this platform. The only thing in my experience that is utter garbage on the platform. [ok also Curators are ■■■■■■■ pathetic too, and the questionable hentai games]

Yea strelok its nuts the way they manage that place, and they are smug as well. The admin/mods insult people just like any other gamers. I’ve seen matt call someone along the lines of a mommas boy, and I’ve seen tito, killa, and many others insult users directly and even call them ignorant or stupid.

Killainstinct is among the worst, possibly the worst. He bans for bs, and treats dota like a concentration camp. He even banned a user for a disconnect something that literally happens to everyone. And it wasn’t a small ban he banned them for over 50 years. The double standards are staggering in that place. I’ve been banned 3 times now for nothing, for opinions and observations. I one time told a user an offensive insult was a fake term. I didn’t flame, insult, or call anyone names. I was banned for a whole year and they didn’t give me a reason. Before that I was banned for 6 months for saying a racing game sucked. And I only said it sucked in one sentence I didn’t rant or anything and it was a thread asking peoples opinion on the game for F’s sake.

Last ban was for telling a user him using stalin in his profile was sad. All I said, didn’t say anything else related to him besides that. And I do think these profiles promoting hitler and stalin are sad. I don’t get it why would they ban me but ignore the ones praising dictators and genocide praise?
Its an extreme place. Last time I had the right to use their forum, I was afraid to even swear or say anything even remotely condescending to anyone. But I couldn’t help it last time, the guy was obnoxious and insulting and I really think people praising dictators is sad. And I got a year for it. So 2 year long bans, one 6 month one, and next who knows how long. All for opinions and mild observations.

Strelok you are absolutely right a forum ban would be nothing. But this is a full blown out lock down and punish you for everything ban. Its extreme to do to their customers and then they want you to buy cards and badges? What the hell is wrong with these mods/admins they are hunting normal users for anything and ignoring blatant hate speech.

Check out the rage and the caps of this Nintendo Gamer user.
Not only is he blatantly screaming insults at me, he is also promoting gay hate slang and using offensive bigoted terms. I reported him a month before my ban and this thread wasn’t even locked. Then a month later I was banned for a year cause of this very forum.

Is this coincidence? I think not, its obvious whats going on. The mods/admins defend the worst and purge everyone else. The place is absolutely terrible.

Still tho, I won’t treat it as a crusade or anything. It’s a joke but nothing is ever going to change it and that’s that.

What is a crusade tho, I mean I’m not in a third world country, I can’t stop world hunger. All that matters to me is what I do for fun and what I enjoy and they are making this hard for me. I’m not suffering in anyway other than the headache I suffer from my chosen entertainment medium.

Frustrating as hell.

I think people need to speak their mind and bash the hell out of these admins/mods anywhere they are allowed to spread the word on just how toxic these people are… I’ll support anyone who can’t stand these people. I’am 100% with the op on this and its true strelok we can’t do anything about them, but we can damn sure speak our minds on it and spread it around the gaming community. The less people who are mad and just take it the less likely it’ll ever change. The more people who complain and get angry the more continued pressure will be on valve to change their moderation. Locking down all of our profile features for light offenses is extreme. Its not professional at all, while overlooking bigots and gay bashing? There’s gotta be something unlawful about it too. I mean to completely contradict your own tos and go after people for nothing while ignoring bigotry and hate slang?

I mean look at this nintendo gamer in the thread I posted. He’s screaming cap insults. He’s saying dyke, ■■■■, the F word (the bad bigoted F word not the cool F word) and more. Granted he’s talking about gaming characters but If I did anything even remotely like this, I’d be banned for another year or 3. So how does this guy get away with it is what I wanna know? Its obvious whats going on, some people get off with it, and other people are made an example of.

The fact that this guy is screaming insults at me, when I left the convo to his angry ramblings, says enough. The fact that he’s using terms that would get you banned from most, if not every normal forum on the internet but apparently steam where his mod buddies rule, explains steams corruption perfectly. They are biased and they look the other way, their buddies get away with everything from bigotry, to genocide praise, to blatant insults, crude terms, and cap screaming its nuts. Nobody did a thing about this dude, one user even says the guys mental.
Not just me, in fact I didn’t insult the guy once… Still banned for a year.

How does any of this make sense?

And I apologize if the words I repeated are offensive I don’t mean to break this forums rules, but that’s my point. These are highly offensive terms that most people are punished for online. At least in proper forums. But not steam, well unless its someone they don’t like sayin it. Course they ban people they don’t like for anything, they ban us for opinions.

Its obvious whats going on, this guys protected. And we are just lowly scum to them worth contempt.
I think its them who’s scum.

i still think that Valve/Steam has/gets problems with/from DEVs/Publishers.
because you show people, with your software, that “most problems are with the games itself” and have, in a lot of cases, nothing to do with the different (sometimes older)hardware used in PCs of thousands of gamers.

(mostly because of time limits?!)badly handled porting and or lazy coding are the biggest offenders now a days. and i would argue that DEVs and Publishers around the world do not like that.

but i could be wrong, who knows.

reading this made me feel like I was playing Control.

THREE DAYS LEFT!

I’m so hyped! I loved playing through it the first time a year ago on EGS, and am eagerly awaiting the release of the ultimate edition on Steam in 3 days :slight_smile:

How is it on the CPU side? How much it kills quad cores ?

Control? Early performance tests showed little scaling past quads and even dual core with hyper threading appears to do just fine other than D3D12 where it still doesn’t scale up well but dual core now sees a noticeable performance decrease instead.

That’s August 2019 though as the game launched and there’s usually limited re-testing done across updates although user ones can occasionally stick with testing a game over multiple patches or display driver updates.

More of a basic CPU test too I think lowering the settings a little and mostly shifting to a CPU limit by reducing display resolution down though they did keep it to 1920x1080 instead of say 1280x720

Re-release of Crysis should also be up on EGS next month, assuming they shifted to Cry Engine V speaking of CPU scaling that should uplift one of the earlier limits that the older Cry-Engine 2.x version had.

DLSS support and also Vulkan ray tracing extensions for the PC version though I don’t know if this means the game requires these for ray tracing compatibility or if it also supports Cryteks own implementation alongside running through Vulkan and extensions.

EDIT: Speaking of D3D12 and CPU scaling and GPU/CPU utilization wonder if drawing upon async compute could be a way to utilize some extra cores too.

Shader caching like what Borderlands 3 or Horizon Zero Dawn gets stuck on during initial start up and when this needs to be redone (Updates, driver updates.) just send it off to be done in the background and within a few minutes get the more important elements up for the UI and main menu maybe some higher priority thread during the games normal loading phase when going to the actual game from the main menu screen.
(Or be all rude and stick it on the logo video playback as a take that for all players who want to skip the video early well now you can’t until the shaders finish loading. ~ Which is only once the logo has played out in full coincidentally.)

EDIT: Async compile I suppose really, might not be entirely viable though and some games have this 3D background world as if the start process and loading to the main menu wasn’t already a bit sluggish in some games. :stuck_out_tongue:
(Or omit the main menu entirely here’s low quality 1280x720 entire intro sequence then you can go to the main menu and adjust the settings. There’s words for that which I don’t think the forum entirely supports ha ha. ~ )

I won’t lie, Control has never been on my radar, but seeing you express excitement for the game makes me wonder if i should pick it up? I enjoyed TR 2013 and ROTTR (despite the rather hilarious writing for the latter), if that means anything.

I might have actually liked Quantum Break, or at least finished it if it weren’t for those jarring real-life segments.

20 minute TV drama show with minor game decision nods, they weren’t terrible but I preferred what they did with Mad Max and Alan Wake keeping it more minimal though I did watch the TV shows far as I remember.

EDIT: Mad Payne?

Err Max Payne.
The unfortunate photo scan from the first game and all improved tremendously in the second game and the modded Matrix Hallway level that was going to happen after using Havok and all that.
(Suppose the photo textures weren’t bad but Max does look a bit distressed in that first game, guess it fits though.)

It felt out of place. If i wanted that, i’d pick up Super Seducer.

Yeah it did break the game up every time you finished a level and nope here’s a little outro segment and pause until this has finished playing and no more action for roughly 20 minutes which on PC also meant web based streaming although I think the full high-res video was a significant extra download as well so it’s one or the other.

Wonder if Remedy would be doing a TV series or similar if they could, not sure how well Quantum Break earned as the live action and all that is costly but I assume it at least broke even thus they could continue although with a different game instead of a sequel.

EDIT: Well it broke the pacing up I suppose is how that’s called, could have been done better for the type of game Quantum Break is.

Microsoft was helping with the funds anyway, and i always thought Microsoft were the ones who had that “great idea” as a way of making innovative games. Never actually checked up on who was responsible.

1 Like