Watch Dogs Legion / - Ubisoft's DRM practices irritate the DRM $hill -

How do you stop Legion from trying to load battleye?

A shortcut for the game exe or a command-line parameter to the games properties in the UPlay client, think the Epic Games client offers the same option but I have not used it.

It’s “-BattlEyeLauncher”

I use it as a shortcut to WatchDogsLegion.exe

So the target would look something like this for that:
“C:\Games\Uplay\Watch Dogs Legion\bin\WatchDogsLegion.exe” -BattlEyeLauncher

But then I also put it into UPlay just to be sure it would take.
I initially also configured the BattlEye client to be visible in when it prompted for a install but I think this command line outright skips the entire process so you only need this. :slight_smile:

EDIT: It sorta looks like this in UPlay but well this is from Watch_Dogs 2

So it’d be “-BattlEyeLauncher” and double checking so it’s stored after saving it just so the client keeps it there. :slight_smile:

No luck. I was able to try both ways of adding -BattlEyeLauncher to Uplay and making an .exe shortcut but both ways end up crashing the game after the Legion popup starts. I did end up purchasing on Epic Store if that makes a difference.

Disable Uplay overlay also.

Bingo that was it, forgot that step for Kal’s initial post. Now I can get it loaded but when using the dxgi config file from Kal or enabling HDR in my own file it just launches to a black screen.

Stick a needle in it, and hope it dies.

You need only supply the launch parameters to do that.

Is it not supposed to work with dx12? Can only seem to hook for dx11 for me.

No, I don’t have any interest in the D3D12 version of the game.

Ubisoft has the same bugs to fix nonetheless :stuck_out_tongue: If they would casually peruse this thread and fix these problems in both D3D11 and D3D12, then nobody would even need this.

I wish the dx11 mode was compelling to me, that ray tracing looks so good.

Hopefully Ubisoft gets their shit together.

Nonetheless, your efforts are appreciated.

Save system is broken as hell apparently. The game tries to save while it’s already saving and corrupts the save file completely.

@Kaldaien

I got 11 hours in before it corrupted my save game completely. Game only shows option for new game. Cloud backup on the menu might be an okay workaround.

1 Like

I do manual backups as I don’t fully trust auto saving systems (And occasionally the cloud storage system though that has improved over time by quite a lot.) but that’s really good to know.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\savegames\Bunch of characters and letters for your Ubisoft profile\3353

Number for the games title ID might differ for the Plus version, EGS version and so on.

Reminds me of the Morrowind and Oblivion quick save issues and how important it was to not over rely on it because it could start saving while it was finishing saving if done too quickly which broke the save file.

Some backups would be useful but the Ubisoft savegame format is pretty similar you have this 1. file which is the profile and data and then the 2. file that’s the main game save possibly followed by 3. for either DLC stuff or the additional profile slots and so on.

Encryption also prevents save game sharing which earlier could be decrypted and matched to other profiles or cross platform save compatibility but far as I know this can no longer be done or at least there’s limited tools for it.

Really miss the manual save option and some games having one to three back ups rotating around them or even allowing users to configure parameters like this.

Unfortunately check point saving somewhat took over along with auto saving.

Ubisoft did point reviewers and benchmark authors to a more major update November 9th but if this is a newly cropped up issue chances are it’s going to take a bit longer since a week or two of testing would mean the first major (hotfix aside.) update would be undergoing final testing this coming week so it’s list of fixes would be pretty locked by this point.
(First major content update with the online mode is planned for December so probably when the next major patch after that is going to be landing.)

Also, DXVK might prove useful in this game. After installing it and running the game in DX11 mode with SpecialK’s framelimiter, I have an almost locked 60 FPS as opposed to the 40 FPS from before.

DXVK is a translation/compatibility layer designed for Linux that converts DirectX 10 through 11 into Vulkan. It’s also been helpful with Assassin’s Creed Odyssey.

EDIT: Would be great except for the massive stuttering while driving.

Make sure you don’t enable the waitable swapchain option. That doesn’t work right with the game itself, and it also really doesn’t work right with DXVK :slight_smile: I can’t fault doitsujin for that though, Vulkan doesn’t have support for the feature needed to make that work. D3D latency will always be lower until Vulkan implements something equivalent.

Sadly, I have very little use for DXVK until it fully supports HDR. I can think of nothing less I would like to do than play a game in SDR when I’ve spent so much time adding HDR to them :wink:

What do you make of the saving issue? Think it can be worked around on our end, or will Ubisoft have to step in?

I don’t know. Usually there are double and triple failsafes against this kind of thing, SONY actually has design guidelines for saving and storing backups of saves and they can be seen in a lot of PC ports w/ almost verbatim design copied from the PlayStation. So this isn’t normally a thing we have to worry about.

Why is the benchmark so unrepresentative of actual gameplay performance? Why does DX12 run so much worse than DX11 for most of the playerbase? Is it just a wrapper over a DX11 base like I theorize?

EDIT: Talking back and forth through a thread like this might not be the best way of communicating, heh. I can move to another method like DM/PMing you somewhere if you prefer.

Hi im trying to get this to work with WDL but not sure I have set it up properly. Can I please get some help?

I have downloaded the .7z file from the top bar and run the exe. It works fine for Steam games but I cant get the control panel for Special K to open in uplay games like WDL.

I see from the zip file in OP there is a single file called SpecialK64.dll. I read from the wiki I am meant to rename this to dxgi.dll and place inside the games executable folder. But that didnt work. Sorry again just a few steps to how to set it up please for uplay and this game would be appreciated. I want to run the frame limiter which I read on resetera is better than the built in one :slight_smile:

The first thing that would come to mind is that the game is running D3D12 mode which while SpecialK mostly supports it the SpecialK interface is not yet rigged up for DirectX 12 and won’t show so you’d have to either configure the config file directly or shift to DirectX 11 and then set up the settings you want before switching to D3D12 mode. :slight_smile:

And yeah I’m not sure what the D3D12 mode is might be standard D3D11onD3D12 but this far as I know is the first game I’ve seen a D3D RTX extension from NVIDIA in which appears to be used for de-noising results but it’s named as a wrapper but then there’s no D3D11 ray-tracing RTX or no so it wouldn’t be for that.

EDIT: Well SpecialK runs several games in D3D12 mode without them crashing but some of the overrides and D3D settings aren’t effective and other limitations and effects some of them might never be due to D3D12 and changes compared to D3D11 so mostly supports might have not been the best term but it can and should work though without the on-screen display and menu functionality, for now.

Update is out now to see what’s in this patch then.

EDIT :PC specific patch note topic isn’t up yet.

EDIT: Seems the update [beeped] Sounds_English.dat oopsie?
(0 KB now, I know people really disliked the auto generated voice acting but that’s a bit heavy handed of a fix. :stuck_out_tongue: )

EDIT: New DLSS file too.

Well new (faster? prettier? overall just better??) DLSS and they “resolved” the complained about auto-British voice synthesizing so well that’s a start?

Ha ha.

EDIT: In-game sure is broken now, curious.

Game runs really well though, nothing works but yay performance?

No traffic, no pedestrians no textures nothing!

Uh… RTX obviously is DX12 only