Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

@JonasBeckman Seen the state of the RTX 3080 stock situation in Sweden? Seems multiple retailers now lists January 2021 as the earliest when the GPU will be in stock again.

I… I don’t think I’ve ever seen that long of a delay before after a new GPU release…

Yep, October, November and now a listing of 2021 I assume is due to a ton of back orders needing to be filled and a lower than expected quantity of GPU’s which even NVIDIA acknowledged recently doing their apology for the shortage of GPU’s.

3090’s are stocked now at least but it’s the same situation far as I can tell where they unlock for purchase at a set time tomorrow and the quantity seem to be about one third of what some of the 3080’ were so 5 cards instead of 15 for what I can see.

Pricing around 1700 to 2000 Euro too roughly.

EDIT:

Webhallen.

Zotac Trinity - 5 GPU’s, 1800 EUR (Well it’s not quite 10 SEK = 1 EUR.)
MSI Ventus OC - 1 GPU, campaign price (With a stock of one!?) 1700 EUR
MSI Gaming X - 2 GPU’s, 1850 EUR
Gigabyte Eagle OC - 2 GPU’s, 1700 EUR
Gigabyte Gaming OC - 4 GPU’s, 1850 EUR
Palit Gaming Pro - 1 GPU, 1860 EUR
Palit Gaming Pro OC - 2 GPU’s, 1900 EUR
Gainward Phoenix GS - 3 GPU’s waiting to be shipped but none in stock, 1900 EUR

1 Like

I haven’t seen this before… Apparently Uplay’s overlay warns you when RAM is almost filled out (my system is at 95%).

And on that note, I need to pick up a new 16 GB stick so that I can go back to 32 GB… At the time I didn’t think I actually ever used that much RAM but since going back to 16 GB I seem to max it out every now and then… :expressionless:

Uplay did just update earlier today but that might be part of some earlier update though it’s not something I’ve seen before.

Went with 2x 16 GB sticks for this system but I don’t remember ever getting close to filling it up normally for the prior 16 GB RAM in the old system short of leakage which is usually very uncommon.

Watch_Dogs 2 (?) might hit some issues depending on settings though but it was mainly CPU and GPU limiting due to the extended draw distance slider and mostly just when going above 50% where much of the smaller city props are already showing up in the distance.

Never tried MSAA though (Costly and ineffective after all.) though TXAA utilizing MSAA+TAA could perhaps add a bit extra to memory requirements.

A later update also introduced SMAA T2X which is solid enough but temporally unstable (Tons of ghosting.) if you can’t get a stable framerate ideally 60 or higher.

(Cry Engine 3 Crysis 2 example.)

EDIT: Gah staring at that is almost as bad as chromatic aberration. :stuck_out_tongue:

Game has some sorta TAA mode too other than T2X but like many earlier methods it’s pretty poor quality wise although like many other TAA modes it is fast with better coverage than FXAA or SMAA on it’s own.
(Or MLAA if using AMD and forcing that but I’m of the opinion it should have been replaced with display driver implemented SMAA ages ago since it’s kinda a improvement of MLAA anyway.)

(Alternatively the highest quality level FXAA.)

On that note 6 GB RAM for the game 2 - 4 GB for the OS and 6 for the browser yeah that’d do it. :smiley:

Tabbed browsing with Firefox or Chromium can take a good amount of memory after all. (Chromium meaning something like all the others at this point besides Firefox? :stuck_out_tongue: )

EDIT: Well it’s more like 2 - 3 GB I suppose and it’d be compressed and ready to unload after a while too plus inactive tabs and what not for conversing memory usage.

~ Solid good quality ad-blocker or script blocker to really reduce RAM usage for some reason.

I believe this is what’s called having your cake and eating it too :slight_smile:

Special K has always had insanely smooth framerate limiting, but here we have a substantial boost to minimum framerate combined with a 10 ms reduction in input latency…

What’s scary about this, though, is the performance with no framerate limiter. It’s up in the 100 ms range without SK or RTSS, and it’s a VR-optional game. I really hope that is not indicative of how that game performs in VR mode.

What’s up with the weird 0.1% percentile FPS of Unlimited and RTSS ? Is Special K just pacing the frames better to prevent such weird drops?

That’s the magic of aligning your framerate limiter’s clock to VBLANK :slight_smile: And some pretty nifty clock drift compensation code I designed that sneaks in occasional clock re-syncs only when re-syncing the clock can be done without inducing a hitch.

I basically always stop delaying frames at precisely the same time that the DWM compositor has swapped the front-buffer out and is ready to accept a new frame. Thus when I tell the engine to continue, it can do so with zero back-pressure from pending VSYNC.

We’re not even playing the same game here, RTSS may try to count the frames and limit them but it’s not taking into account the traffic cop that is the DWM. RTSS releases the GPU into oncoming traffic and causes accidents frequently because its clock is not sync’d up with the DWM :slight_smile:

You can basically look at any framerate limiting done by RTSS and you will always find this problem. It can count frames, just probably shouldn’t be directing traffic since it’s not paying attention to all the collisions caused by its bad clock.

1 Like

@Aemony does some frame-limiter page exist in the PCGW? I feel like it’s the sort of thing that would make sense, to explain the different frame-limiting options, partially because most users don’t know where to go besides the PCGW if looking for the best frame-limiting tool.

Also don’t take this as me asking you to create the page :eyes:

There’s been a discussion about this if you search PCGW… I would advise you don’t. Evidently I am
“opinionated” and “believe that borderless window mode is superior to fullscreen exclusive.” That’s not my opinion :stuck_out_tongue:

My opinions are not published on MIcrosoft’s website. I just happen to be familiar with this subject where evidently nobody else is? :man_shrugging:

And for what it’s worth, if pigs fly I might be able to get my limiter design into RTSS and then “best framerate limiting tool” doesn’t really matter. Everyone can go back to using RTSS and there would be no difference between SK and RTSS. But I have a hard time believing I could get Unwinder to go along with this unless I have some super amazing backing from like 5 or 6 journalists :slight_smile:

Did DF ever get back to you about Special K?

I’m wondering if you’re better off prioritising publicity (aka a DF video) over implementing your frame-limiting in RTSS, which could result in SK being overlooked by those who care for frame-times. DF in particular are obsessive when it comes to frame-times, so your frame-limiter would seriously win them if they actually check it out.

That’s not to say don’t get your frame-limiter working in RTSS, that’s something you can still do after SK becomes more widespread.

It’s part of the generic glossary frame rate page linked from all articles:

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Glossary:Frame_rate_(FPS)#Frame_rate_capping

I think a dedicated YouTube channel would help as well if there isn’t one.

Oh no.

I was planning to help Unwinder make RTSS HDR compatible (for its luminance / color saturation), but as it turns out … RTSS breaks Xbox Game Bar’s ability to take tonemapped screenshots in HDR. I think the best thing to do is have anyone who uses HDR just disable RTSS.

SK could take a correct screenshot in this case, except there’s something screwed up with C# versions of SteamAPI in Special K at the moment :-\

Yes, I heard back from DF.

My reason for contacting them was HDR though. There will be some content on Special K and HDR in general in the coming months, they’re working on updating their video production workflow as well as tools for analyzing HDR content from consoles. So this kind of works out nicely.

I’ve been working my butt off trying to improve compatibility w/ HDR in anticipation :slight_smile:

I really think that SK’s framerate limiter is something that should just be given away to all other developers of similar tools for integration (and if it cannot be easily integrated into other projects, then my design and/or technical guidelines for proper implementation sux0rs and needs work) :stuck_out_tongue:

Meanwhile my HDR work is the one contribution to PC gaming that’s uniquely me and probably could not actually be gifted to other projects without months of training developers. Kind of a shame, I’d love it if I had someone to assist with stuff like HDR visualization shaders and more advanced level curves.

3 Likes

Don’t forget the reload injected textures option, that has proven really useful for me.

Also, aren’t you responsible for more individual game fixes than any other single person? :thinking:

1 Like

Unfortunately, I probably am… those only gave me the foresight to realize that wasn’t particularly productive :stuck_out_tongue:

On one or two occasions I actually got through to the developer whose game I debugged and lead to the creation of an official fix, in most cases I just have a bazillion standalone versions of Special K floating around that will haunt me for years to come as those games remain broken and people expect me to remember things about the patch I created.

I still find myself doing that for new game releases despite promising myself I am going to stop :slight_smile: Someone needs to smack some sense into me, and point me back to non-game-specific stuff I could be doing instead.

By The Way, is there anyone here who fancies themselves a web developer?

This whole HDR screenshot thing is going nowhere fast, and I’m thinking something like ImageMagick on a web backend might be able to take our HDR .jxr screenshots and create SDR thumbnails (.png, no .jpg for the love of all that’s holy) for general consumption + a link to download the source HDR image.

I cannot code my way out of a paper bag using web-centric programming languages, or even Python, but I know this should be a fairly manageable thing for anyone who knows script-f00.

Oh, wow!

Nice to see someone put some equations to paper for implementing debug views. There’s some definite room for improvement here.

No clue why everyone fixates on 4,000 nits as this magic number with some kind of special significance though. scRGB and HDR10 are both defined all the way to 10,000 nits and neither 4,000 nits nor 10,000 nits is particularly relevant in consumer applications.

SMACK

BAD Kaldaien!

No more game fixes until you have DX12 gui working!