Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

This is actually, surprisingly cheap

Lower storage SSD but long as you keep it 3 - 4 games installed at a time the 512 GB should be OK for the system stuff taking a part of that and such even as game sizes are moving into 100 - 150 GB plus patches and DLC down the line. :slight_smile:

Still cheaper than I expected though by about a 100$ considering the tech even if it’s sold at a loss which I assume it still is but Games for Windows/XBox or Game Pass maybe is what it’s now in entirety plus services and apps for streaming like Netflix in addition to the game store itself (This is the all digital model I believe.) and that’d probably even out nicely. :slight_smile:

EDIT: Still not that bad of a SSD unit as such though plus the 1 TB - 960 GB actual (~Or how this works now.) let alone above quickly gets very costly even with triple or quad cell memory and variable amounts of cache and the overall read/write performance.

The console units are probably both also a bit customized with options for I assume both at least one internal M.2 SSD and I expect there’s also USB 3.1(?) external add-on option for compatible drive models. (Guessing those are best as SSD’s too but might also work with HDD for moving data over for storage.)

:confused: thought it would still be 1tb, half of that is too small, especially when you have to install every game. Here’s hoping expandable storage isn’t too costly.

Could have multiple storage options later on too but I expect there to be possibilities for expanding the storage though I’m not sure on the particulars but maybe that’s more for the PS5 and how #2 is going to compare to the directly integrated in the PCB and connected through the IO default.

Plus the durability and expected life time and robustness on these but it’s generally not too big of a issue and cloud storage also helps resolve save and profile data problems should the drive get damaged or suffer data loss.

EDIT: What excellent cut-off there for the specs. :smiley:

The rumors (leaks) also suggest that the Xbox Series X will be priced at $499, which is much less than I expected. I’m really hoping that is the case, and I might just pick one up on release.

Higher might offset the hardware cost but with the economy and global situation plus the backlash against higher priced console hardware I think 500 - 550 is a realistic assumption although you get a lot of hardware with what seems like a overall well balanced system.

RAM, CPU, GPU and even a SSD there’s a bit of a difference in GPU tech between the PS5 and XBox but it’s still pretty even between the two. (IO and SSD tech for the PS5 in turn.)

There’s taxes and conversion from US Dollars to local currencies like the Euro (And a demand for a sweet HDMI 2.1 TV/display capable of at least 4k@120Hz. :smiley: ) but that’s a very aggressive price point.

EDIT: Oh there’s a solid gold edition of the PS5

(Not actual PS5 regular version prices.)
(Could be the actual price for the controller though, that’s one way to recoup costs. ~ :stuck_out_tongue: )

In the move from DX9 to DX11, something went wrong and caused a major performance downgrade between the two versions. It’s sadly not something post-processing related (although even in terms of shaders the game drops some 15 FPS for me at 4K with the effects enabled vs. without), but something else in the rendering pipeline.

But the result is a minor (with no major visual differences) “remaster” of a 2012 game with like a third the performance or something.

~250 FPS in DX9 - https://fayaine.s-ul.eu/UItGSFkh

~90 FPS in DX11 - https://fayaine.s-ul.eu/V5grmWhu

I’m hoping they can release a patch or two that nails the performance loss entirely… Supposedly the Xbox One X version can run 4K at 60 FPS, and while technically my 1080 Ti can also do that (with the occasional drop below 60), it’s still a bit ridiculous for basically not having the visual fidelity to make up for it :laughing:

1 Like

This seems like a nice game that takes heavy inspiration from Zelda BOTW. The only real complaint i’m seeing in reviews, is that the game suffers from being incomplete, which is expected since it’s early access. For now, this will be on my radar.

You weren’t kidding with the heavy inspiration part… It looks, in parts, almost like a complete copy of Zelda BOTW, or if they literally lifted some parts straight over (the two-handed spin attack in particular).

Not to mention that the visual aesthetics of the game doesn’t seem to match at all… You have the colorful “simplistic” BOTW-inspired visual design mixed in with realistic detailed design…

It honestly looks retarded at times.

If this survives until release and they fix up all of the inconsistencies as well as, well, add more narrative/main quest line or something to do then I might evaluate it further. Right now it just seems to go for an otherwise dead open world where you can get creative in, and that alone sadly isn’t of interest for me.

Speaking of BotW

Yeah the visuals are inconsistent, not sure why. I’ve only scrolled through a few reviews, but from what i’ve read, no one’s complained about the fundamental game, which has me intrigued. I’ve only seen complaints about bugs and multiplayer not working etc.

I still have yet to play an open world that comes close to BOTW in terms of liveliness and that true sense of exploration, so i don’t have high expectations for this game.

Edit: Regarding visuals, it is kind of telling come to think of it. It suggests the devs don’t really know what they’re doing, which could prove true for the gameplay and overall game which takes “heavy inspiration” from BOTW, and some from other games according to reviews.

To be fair, the different visual design could be due to placeholder assets being used, or they only semi-recently started transitioning over from an old design to the new BOTW-inspired style.

None the less, it’s an early access title so we’ll just have to wait and see…

I Just got that game now since you mentioned it and it is 60% sale on it. I am curious to see how different it looks. Hopefully improved in many areas. I know its not remake but I am excited.
Kingdoms: of Amular Re-Reckoning.

Does it have HDR support?

Edit: Hmm this game is definitley not performing like I thought it would.
Maxed settings at 1440p and some cutscenes drop down to 30s. Mostly avging around 40 fps. But it definitely looks a bit better that’s for sure.

Edit:
Interesting the game is 32bit still. Would’ve thought they upgraded it to 64bit but nope.

Looks like there’s changes to the shadows and ambient occlusion and it scales way off into the distance so that could be one reason for it assuming you aren’t also using the super-sampling option the new version of the game has.

Texture changes too but that’s less demanding than their application of smooth filter shadows and throwing ambient occlusion up into the tree crowns far out of the regular view distance. :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: Some ambitious detail artist also stuck a bunch of mushrooms on a tree, that’s a curious little addition.

EDIT: Speaking of not-BOTW Genshin Impact is also generating some hype.

EDIT: And 3D Realms is remastering and retroing everything going by yesterdays updates.
(Night Dive Studios is doing some good work for a few of these too, KEX engine or what it was doing a good job with that.)

Bit higher than expected there assuming the pricing is final for the X series expansion drives.

Oh hell no…

I really, really hope this is all BS. I don’t want to deal with that crap again.

:thinking:

Yeah I had some links but then other articles said it was fake but it seems Ether and other crypt coins are also recovering and becoming more valuable so if this is accurate then there’s going to be a shortage for the 3000 series even more so than what I assume is a fairly limited first batch here since it looks like there’s some deals going on but no pre-ordering at least that’s the intent and several stores seem to be limiting orders although global shipping and such also means stock can move pretty much world-wide so GPU’s from around here could be bought and shipped to elsewhere in Europe or even the US or Asia.

If a few dozen 3000’s could recoup the investment over a period of a few months I can totally see the more organized and larger GPU mining farms getting a big part of these first cards once they can be purchased but we’ll see I guess.

Also going outside of normal consumer channels and paying premium prices which could explain some of the early deliveries happening but less so as to how they acquired working drivers for the hardware since those are also not available through normal means yet.
(From what I’ve been reading on this via replies on Guru3D when I saw this earlier today.)

Oh god, even more of a headache for me in how we should cover this on PCGW…

We just implemented EA Play (Steam) and now EA Play (Xbox Game Pass) is apparently a thing too? :expressionless

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/List_of_EA_Play_games

I’m currently wondering if “EA Play” is basically how EA have decided to brand the inclusion of their titles in the Xbox Game Pass as, and that it isn’t actually a separate subscription available on that platform at all…

But we’ll have to see, I guess…

I am running Supersampling AA in the game upto 2.0 So that might be the reason for huge drop in fps. lol. My avg is around 30s or 40s. Lucky for me SK newest settings for HDR of 6 prerender and 5 backbuffers seems to work some serious wonders.

1 Like