Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

Hmm I was thinking maybe HDR to SDR tonemapping would tonemap the luminance down while still keeping the advantage of wider color space if your display can show 94-99% P3?

Or would this just trigger HDR mode in the monitor thus just washing out the image due to bad implementation with zero, or inadequate dimming zones?

Colors would be all wrong. Blending in rendering would shift the colors, so not only would things be over-saturated, they’d also get a tint that could only be removed with additional post-process color correction.

Hmm i see so the only way for games to take advantage of WCG is to either be made with it in mind, aka a toggle in graphic settings to use it, or be HDR?

The former, the latter has nothing to do with this. HDR can exist without Wide Color Gamut, and for every game I’ve ever looked at their assets are authored in Rec 709. It’s unlikely if this situation ever changes that they will go from Rec 709 to DCI-P3, the industry will skip P3 and go straight to Rec 2020 whenever this shift occurs.

Suppose it’s all going to be a single price within the EU before too long then.
Local currency would be nice though, instead of a 30% extra cost it’d be 20% less or so.

EDIT: Yeah something like that, not sure what physical would be it doesn’t kinda exist as much anymore on PC and video game stores around here haven’t been a thing in years.
https://steamdb.info/app/546560/

Alyx here as a regional price comparison though this does also include US, Asia, Australia and everything not the various EU regions.

Think there was a EU country tier system as well but that’s mostly gone too.

Yikes Rec2020 is gonna be a mess especially if they actually reach 90%+ BT2020 color gamut, all the displays would actually need to have functioning gamut emulation, or the OS, old stuff, on the web, and software/games would look like saturation has been cranked up to the max.

I doubt web standards are gonna be kept to sRGB forever though, i expect the transition to be messy…

1 Like

Yeah I’m not sure how that’s going to be handled, bunch of different gamuts and then the hardware and how that covers which type and to what degree and all sorts of problems and challenges involved.

And a NVIDIA hotfix driver.

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5152

EDIT: And NVIDIA also responds about the changes to G-Sync certification.
https://www.guru3d.com/news_story/nvidia_releases_statement_on_g_sync_ultimate_hdr_specification_disputes_mandatory_1000_nits.html

Though it kinda required it but tech changes and OLED in particular although I don’t think this is used much for consumer computer display hardware, some variants perhaps and some very costly models might be available though. :slight_smile:

Think Samsung was experimenting with Nano OLED and another slightly less unfortunate acronym as a result.

:stuck_out_tongue:

NOLED
Eh better than Nano IPS at least ha ha!

EDIT: Looks like there’s also a new Vulkan beta branch NVIDIA driver.

Wonder if that crash fix is part of the Vulkan fixes from the main driver, could be something else though as it seems to be a undefined but older version of Windows 10 causing that.

This is why the Windows DWM knows the difference between HDR and SDR windows.

A few years on and with the upcoming release of Akiba’s Trip 1 the existing Steam game got updated with a framerate override (60 and higher.) and width and height overrides. :slight_smile:

Might have other existing issues but that’s a nice improvement to have, think it’s still D3D9 though so not too many overrides for SpecialK as with some of XSeed’s earlier projects.
(Before everything was Senran Kagura hah well I think they’ve done some other projects at least after NIS picked up the Ys and Trails franchises.)

I wonder how would this ruling affect banned/censored games?
If I understand it correctly, Geo-Blocking is not allowed; a game key bought in EU states must be usable everywhere within EU.

If a game key was redeemed by an account from a country that has the game banned, would publisher/store be liable for not complying with local law; allowing citizens access to banned materials?

How does banned material usually works for physical products in EU?
Like, if Germany banned a book but that book is legal and available in France. Can I travel to France to buy that book and take it back with me to Germany? Will German customs allow me to take the book into the country?

That’s a good observation it has to still apply for what would not pass the stricter country decisions on not selling a game at all but would it be a complete ban or just local retailers or stores so it could then be considered importing.

Germany has somewhat lessened it’s strictness for video game violence but I believe they still have a restriction for certain games depending on content matter including full banning of sales.

Wonder if that has to be tested or if they manage to work out a system before this goes into effect, looks like Valve made a statement as well in regards to Steam in how they plan to appeal the decision so it’s not finalized yet though they might still lose the appeal.
(Expecting the other publishers involved here to also do the same for this initial ruling.)

EDIT: And I see there’s yet more availability of the 6000 series GPU’s but also even more ridiculous pricing.
Pushing over 50% extra for what the pricing should be sometimes even more which is incredible.
(Incredible stupid but yeah. This is going to be rough for the next few months for hardware costs I would think.)

AMD 21.1.1
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-21-1-1

It’s worth noting that Steam stopped this form of regional locking of EU keys back in 2015 or so, unless they needed to comply to local laws. That said, stuff like e.g. Germany’s low violence copies could still be imported into another country and unlocked – the key merely just unlocked the Low Violence version despite not being in Germany. Similar, a non-Low Violence version could be imported from another EU member state and unlocked within Germany to unlock the non-Low Violence version.

• The keys were basically tied to a particular version of the game, and could be “imported” between member states freely while still unlocking the version it was tied to.

• Similarly, ‘banned’ games basically only concerned Steam in terms of their storefront – publishers wouldn’t be allowed to publish or sell a ‘banned’ game in the particular country it was banned in. But past that, nothing would’ve prevented the import of such a product from another EU member state since, well, the EU is a common market and goods can, in principle, travel over country borders without inspections or charges.

Like, if Germany banned a book but that book is legal and available in France. Can I travel to France to buy that book and take it back with me to Germany? Will German customs allow me to take the book into the country?

Yes, since EU is a common market and basically have no borders internally between member states.

Edit:

This is why “importing” between EU member states is sort of a misnomer – the EU is a single market and therefor you don’t “import” goods between member states. You only import (or export) goods to non-EU countries.

The free movement of goods also includes members of the European Economic Area, which basically means Iceland, Liechtenstein, as well as Norway. It also apparently includes some non-EU (or EEA) members such as Switzerland, Turkey, Andorra, and San Marino which allows the free movement through other agreements with the EU.

1 Like

I highly recommend any EU member reading this particular section on EU’s website: Selling products in the EU:

3 Likes

Interesting. :slight_smile:

Will give that a read tomorrow as I’m just about done for the night but apparently Windows found a preview update so that’s going to be one last thing to take care of.

And from what it changes up it looks like 21H1 might be another small incremental patch since this updates the OS to version 19043.782 up from 19042.746
(Though without a enablement pack that’s going to read as 19042.782)

Does Special K’s injection for D3D12 games still work in 19043.782? Apparently RTSS stopped working in D3D12 beause of that update.

I wasn’t finding any D3D file updates but I see them now after waking up both D3D12 and D3D12Core.dll are updated.

Now then testing of SpecialK and D3D12 and overlay compatibility and seeing if Microsoft has posted about what this update actually does.

EDIT: Yep.

Nothing there about D3D12 or DirectX as such though.

Now then…

This looks fine. :slight_smile:

I’m a local mode user though, not that I would think that to have been affected especially if it’s only for D3D12 and not the rest of the supported API’s too.

No address caching for D3D12 and it’s .dll files either in the config file come to think of it, DXGI, D3D9 and D3D11 maybe that’s nothing too important though.

Update 1.1 is out for Cyberpunk 2077

Crash fixes and memory usage improvements are good, various quest fixes and open world improvements and then some misc and platform specifics.

Not bad for a first update after six(?) hot fixes now I think though the list seems a bit small but it’s a start. :slight_smile:

Same… I expected more, to be honest :expressionless:

Oh well, we’ll see how it turns out over the next coming months…