Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

The DWM compositor cannot be bypassed if you intend to have windows in the background for websites like you’re discussing :slight_smile: It has to composite those. So you go back into the normal presentation path, the foreground window will get some priority and thus assistance w/ latency, but you can’t escape the DWM entirely until you stop having other applications involved.

Too bad maybe in the future this will actually be possible as it’s kind of useful instead of playing with a centered 1080/1440p window in a 4K monitor surrounded by black bars, and not being able to take advantage of the empty space.

I’ve had thoughts about something related but different for a while. I’ve been considering the possibility of a Chromium widget in SK, basically an HTML5 web browser to do as you please with as part of the SK overlay.

It’s not quite what you’re asking for here, with the centered game window and browser in unused screen real-estate, but if I ever build the supporting code t make a browser widget, this is definitely something I could create.

So full development started in 2016 roughly and being a bit of a restart or reset of the project that would explain some of the missing stuff and showcased features earlier that aren’t in the game or in a very limited form.

Then there’s the development challenges with the current gen console versions and all sorts of issues. Interesting. :slight_smile:

2022 as the release date estimated too and the lengthy development work hours and such as was known from earlier insights into the projects development.

Nothing especially new here happens with other projects too but it’s good to know about and gives a bit of info into these showcased builds or trailers for the game and how the devs felt about using the time for actual development of the game itself rather than these presentations.

This is pretty big also losing time and talent over changes in direction and being unable to come to a agreement here leading to departures.

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1350326730481922050

More.

And also for the post above and on Special Chromium. :smiley:

This sounds nifty, bit odd but can’t be worse than AMD’s overlay. :stuck_out_tongue:
(Old early 2019 Chromium code with minimum security mode and sandboxing disabled, yeah don’t use that for anything like at all and just ignore it would be the ideal. Ha ha. )

~90 something Megabyte .dll possibly too then judging by Steam or UPlay Chromium components being the big data bits of these clients but eh it’s mostly a issue of hosting I suppose and I guess it can be shrunk down further.

Wouldn’t electron work?

Electron and CEF (Chromium Embedded Framework) both are based on Chromium.

Hence the use of one of those (or a similar solution) are basically what Kal meant when he mentioned a Chroimum widget.

On G-Sync monitors, this basically requires the use of Nvidia’s dreaded “G-Sync for Window Mode” setting enabled – their driver-level DWM hack that allows VRR in windows set up as that by bending and breaking DWM in weird ways that often have wide-reaching consequences and bugs.

On another note, this is a good example of a scenario that often stops me from going from two 27’’ monitors to a single 35’’ or larger monitor – the use of a secondary monitor sidesteps this issue entirely as flip model/DWM bypass on the primary monitor is perfectly functional while still having secondary monitors display websites etc.

The only downside to that approach is that the secondary monitors are refreshed alongside the refresh of the primary monitor, so if primary monitor is on a loading screen and VRR is enabled and active at 15 FPS/Hz, your secondary monitor playing a YouTube video will also update every 15 FPS/Hz. Maybe we’ll eventually see Windows decouple the separate refresh rates of the monitors within DWM entirely some day.

That was never cut from the game. I’ve seen cars fly in that game :rofl: And who needs wall running, when occasionally for no reason you can run on foot at speeds well above driving speed :slight_smile:

Based on how Ciri described it in The Witcher 3 where she references Cyberpunk 2077 (apparently for a week or so she was taken to ‘another world’ that matches up with Cyberpunk 2077), the intention was initially that everyone would have their own flying car, or at least they would feature far more prominently in the game world than they ended up doing.

As to the wall running, it was also in parts intended to allow for vertical combat options – a player with the Mantis Blades equipped would be able to wallrun above their enemies and then pierce the wall with one of their blades to get stuck, allowing them to plan and take offensive actions from the air in a much better way than the game currently allows (which is basically jumping down on top of an enemy from above, triggering an automatic takedown animation if they’re unaware of you).

Yeah everything can come flying in Cyberpunk it seems, almost like the early ragdoll days.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2316489067

Love some of the community artwork and glitches that have been captured, still looking forward to playing the game but it sounds like it’s going to be delayed a bit seeing what CD Project will be bringing this first major patch for the game and what the added DLC and free content will consist of.

A lot of early screenshots and trailers also showed some of the planned mobility options and other concepts and ideas I know a lot of this changes during development though but it’s generally cut early and less hyped up or the initial footage is specifically mentioned to be as the developers envision it but it could change. :slight_smile:

Similar but somewhat different to the spruced up E3 or marketing footage and graphical hype that’s been going on since ~1980’s or so although more recently the 2000’s and on where it got a bit famous thanks to Ubisoft in particular doing it over and over. :stuck_out_tongue:
(Well among others but they kinda got singled out due to the Watch Dogs and Far Cry promotional videos ha ha.)

EDIT: Suppose Final Fantasy XV is a potential comparison with a troubled development story although Square has pulled that since Final Fantasy 7 at least ha ha.

Dying Light 2 might be another one depending on how that pans out, was looking forward to it but realistically Techland would have a hard time pulling it off even after delivering the Dead Island and Dying Light games and their content updates and support.

Hmm trying to use ReShade with the January 13th build of SpecialK causes a crash under D3D12 titles.
Experimenting with that also showed that if only D3D12 is the active API there’s also a little notice about OSD not rendering and this video capture option being enabled which then makes it appear instead of being invisibile. :slight_smile:

Going back to the prior build of SpecialK works, now to find if that’s a shader specific issue or a different problem.

4.9.2 and toggling off shader caching could help too once that’s available and can be tested with. :smiley:

Not a huge issue really, D3D12 can be active without D3D11 and ReShade will still work and doing this also makes the SpecialK OSD work again though that compatibility option (For recording software?) needs to be enabled. (Check what this actually does I suppose is something I should do eventually.)

And then back with the January 1st build it all kinda works again with a few things learned ha ha.

EDIT: Could be UPlay specific too the Ubisoft Overlay whatever it’s name is I’m calling it this now well that’s disabled and it actually respects it now (And doesn’t nag every time either as someone on Team Ubi actually developed a toggle so you can disable that “helpful” notification.)

Should give Steams overlay a chance at some point too seeing how that works although I don’t really need it so less of a compatibility hassle really but short of using permissions to outright reject the thing from injecting it’s less easily removed by normal means. :smiley:

Still have a lot to learn for now though no ReShade for Watch_Dogs Legion or Valhalla.

It broke the swapchain wrapper somehow. There’s code in SK that’s supposed to detect when that happens, enable the option to show SK’s OSD in video capture, and then issue a warning dialog that the option must be enabled for software compat.

Usually it’s only RTSS that does this.

1 Like

Ah I see, reverting ReShade might work then or it’s one of the various commits between 4.9.1 to the upcoming 4.9.2 that might have resolved that but it’s not yet finalized but a future release should also take care of it then.

Good to know about, so much to learn and keep track of and figure out all these settings and then reverting them all for troubleshooting.

Good to learn it early though and try to keep up with how this all interacts and works and well, breaks too I guess. :slight_smile:

EDIT: Reminder to self to test all the various SpecialK options and the swap chain and DXGI overrides in particular a bit extra.

It’s really helpful when everything works but it’s a bit of a puzzle to then figure out what broke where.

EDIT: Hmm the very first code commit after 4.9.1 perhaps for ReShade.

Deals with additional swap-chain crash conditions.

Doesn’t quite match though I don’t have a iGPU or secondary display so there should only be one choice here or path or what to call it.

Well I’m not really technically advanced enough for deep level DXGI D3D12 or D3D much of anything interesting as I find it but it’s good to know about what the issue stems from.

@JonasBeckman, btw, Kal noticed how there’s a dozen or so JBeckman Discord users in the server :laughing: You might want to ensure you have a single main account for Discord, and then we can kick the duplicate accounts from the server.

Oh I thought it pruned those. :slight_smile:
I log in account-less to check discussions, see the release build channel news and other goings on but I usually only check in now and then primarily from the requirement of multiple captchas (Chromium seems to work better with that. :stuck_out_tongue: ) and it’s more of a curiosity seeing what’s going on here.

Might claim a real account though that should resolve it but I thought those would be temporary deleted when I left the session or something like that.

EDIT: Not the worst captcha though, at least it’s just up to three image quizzes.

That’s because reading patch notes is pretty pointless unless interacted with the changes over time.

I played both games on release and I can tell you first hand the differences in both technical and gameplay are staggering. In particular with TW2, for example, the system they had in place for Alchemy was pants-on-head insane from a usability/gameplay standpoint and was greatly improved over various patches.

Because I have had first hand experience with all of CDPR games on release I know that they aren’t the most polished and its something I have come to expect from them, so CP2077 is no surprise to me. That said, I enjoy all their games, flaws and all so I am more biased towards them hammering out bugs and gameplay oversites over time because I have seen them do it on past titles.

I am surprised they re-recorded and extended the English script, from my memory it was 1/3rd of the Polish text and then you have the voice acting options and other extras.

The extra adventure modules were nice too.

Witcher 2 I was impressed by the extended epilogue sequences particularly because the game splits at various points and you have a bunch of different outcomes that would need to be worked with even if the main choices are a bit more limited.

It’s not something you usually see as a free addition especially at that scale but then the DLC for Witcher 3 were also similarly impressive while paid content it was extensive enough to be the size of a entire arc or chapter for the main game plus the map expansion for the Heart of Stone and a smaller RPG in itself for Blood and Wine with a smaller but more densely populated entirely new map too.

Some additional technical challenges and how these were overcome and worked into like the creation of the main city of Touissant allowing for a sprawling more extended city that due to covering much of the city works with the engines culling to keep performance up while having more interior areas and even areas you can traverse through unlike Novigrad which featured only a limited selection of key interior areas.

I don’t really know how Night City developed though maps and such for it came out fairly close to the games release as I recall for the districts and the surroundings that can be explored to get back to Cyberpunk again.

Will be very interesting to see what they can do over the year in terms of patching existing content and what free content will be added plus the actual DLC and their scope.

Then there’s the D3D12 or Vulkan build of Witcher 3 and whatever that does (Besides break existing mods I guess ha ha.) and what ray tracing effects they can do here I presume either shadows or global illumination but I suppose we shall see plus I think this was outsourced?

EDIT: Not confirmed yet and conflicting rumors on if it’s a patch or a new product too.
(The X Series consoles have that unique solution for this and compatibility but for Playstation and PC I am unsure how it’ll be resolved.)

Would be nice to have a remake of the first game too the last attempt I believe had to be cancelled with info citing problems with CD Project and the development of Witcher 2 but I don’t know for certain if they almost went broke or if there were other issues as well with how the White Wolf Edition was being developed and by the studio they were working with back then for this.

Still playable though but it’s a bit different in how it controls and plays plus the combat system being based around a combo and different styles and timing or rhythm almost for how it was intended to work.
(Group style and instantly blender all opponents but it takes some skillpoints before you get to that level.)

This is funny, I was talking to crosire about a similar issue before that code was committed to GitHub. Seems the fix to a compatibility problem potentially breaks compatibility with my software :slight_smile: That’s something you don’t expect to see.

1 Like

Hello!

I am not sure if there already is a topic for this issue I’m having.
I want to use my second screen to play Forza Motorsport 7 with Logitech G29, and then use my main screen to either browse web or play guitar or whatever…

Can You, please, guide me ? Can SpecialK be used for this?

THanks a lot! 0/

Been a long time since I dabbled in multi-display tech but I think it can be done whether you use a extended desktop or two separate outputs though for the first one windowed mode in the dimensions of one display seems like the easiest so the other display would have the web browser or other info or windows you want alongside it. :slight_smile:

Hopefully Windows itself and other software have improved with display selection and multi display support so from that expectation which hopefully aligns with reality you could also have borderless or full-screen going on display #1 and then display #2 would have the desktop and other stuff fully separated.

I am however entirely unsure how SpecialK’s modes with flip model or waitable swap chain support err some of the advanced D3D overrides would behave in that regard so I can’t really say much about it as I do not know.

One’s basically running it windowed covering the extended display so you have half of it for the game and the other half effectively one screen each would be the rest and the other would attempt to separate the game process to it’s own display but as to multi-display software compatibility yeah that could be a issue but you would have several of the benefits from a borderless or full-screen exclusive display mode over a windowed display mode this way. :slight_smile:

Kaldaien seemingly uses OLED TV’s as wallpapers going by some earlier posts ( :stuck_out_tongue: ) but I think you’d need fiber optic cabling to connect it to the actual computer tech for any multi-display testing from the distance involved to retain signal stability and as I do not use multiple displays myself I can’t offer much advice or say how well SpecialK is currently supporting or have awareness of multiple displays or can help with anything what the OS options and configuration alternatives here are. :slight_smile: