Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

Reading up on it apparently it is something for D3D11_3 so it has to be some relatively recent title where that problem was encountered unless it was just for code cleanup and maintenance on the ReShade code itself. :smiley:

Feels like it took forever just to get onto D3D11_1 and beyond that it kinda stopped due to Windows 7 so then it was mostly the push to D3D11/D3D12 that saw DirectX 11.4 getting some utilization, think you need this for HDR too.

:computer:

EDIT: With a few DirectX 11_2 titles requiring Windows 8 or newer but that also took a fair bit of time before that became a requirement.

As if you’re not making everything less of a hassle anyway. :smiley:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/kv5xz5/ray_tracing_performance_deep_dive_amd_radeon_rx/

Interesting. :slight_smile:

And yeah big RT comparison video and article lots of stuff about the internals of Cyberpunk 2077’s ray-tracing implementation and customization in that comment and ooh DLSS has a little indicator, wow.
:stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

That’s really weird. I have that directory on my system, but it’s empty :slight_smile:

I’ll add that to the Help menu next to the, well, this thing…

3 Likes

Huh empty, interesting.

Curious but I’m not sure how the driver works with all it’s different additional components and then there’s also the DCH driver and differences in what this omits compared to the standard or also AMD and their packaging.

I like DCH myself but I wouldn’t want to switch to the Windows Store control panel the system is a bit sensitive though Microsoft has made some improvements.

Though that system is also where AMD is keeping their slimmed control panel software without the streaming or web extras for some reason which would be nice to have. :stuck_out_tongue:

This should also be separate from extras like GeForce Experience or GeForce NOW and part of the core drivers.

Hmm perhaps this is part of some development or standard path since NGX is usually found in the game folders directly “nvngx_dlss.dll” for example.

But the registry path still works to call some of these arguments should they be useful for an easier overview of both DLSS being active and also seeing some general statistics like the resolution it utilizes which far as I know should still be percentage based from the display resolution selected.

83% to begin with 66% and 50% perhaps maybe that’s a bit too low, ultra performance would be lower still though and the scaling itself would be a bit more dynamic or adjustable if NVIDIA’s info has it at a up to 9x resolution factor.

~ 425x240 = 3860x2160 for example.

EDIT:
And some percentage value that is probably really low trading performance with visual glitches though it’s a interesting concept although I would imagine it’s very rough looking even at a distance such as from a TV instead of a closer computer display.

With some work though and a better developer side implementation this has some promising results and if it could scale separate effects like you have DLSS but only for the Ray Tracing effects then that’s a potential performance gainer too although the workload and GPU utilization with ray tracing is a little bit different.

EDIT: This is also down to implementation and results will differ but my testing with Watch_Dogs Legion besides the performance impact wasn’t too impressive but it’ll get there eventually.

For now though for that game it looks like shiny film over the surface instead of integrating with the geometry and everything is far too reflective plus glass is also super clear but the reflection is upscaled and looks very rough and noisy.

Cyberpunk 2077 should be a interesting test case and I already know Metro Exodus despite a earlier initial implementation worked well with it’s GI solution in most cases.
(More so in the DLC but the updates were never brought to the main game.)

…So how many sales for consideration for patching the game?
:stuck_out_tongue:

Well hopefully that won’t be too required this time around.
And yeah that’s still a really weird treatment for the PC version which also sold quite well but could have done with some improvements at least.

Well just have to see how Nier Replicant 1.2.bunchofothernumbers will do. :slight_smile:

EDIT: Realistic expectations would be to have it as a DLC and this is just a sales hype thing or drumming up interest a bit more also unsure if it would be more than a cosmetic edition or with dialogue changes though and what the cost would be, think the arena and customization stuff for Automata was priced fairly high without discounts from what I remember.

EDIT: Automata sales is I think a bit over 5 million currently for comparison.
(From December 27th.)

This is most likely why, yes. The move towards DCH drivers have seen Nvidia move more and more components into the drivers themselves, as that’s apparently the only way to bundle them those packages.

So many executables, DLL files, etc can now often be found in a subfolder below C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\

Fully disabling Ansel, for example, on latest DCH drivers requires doing this:

cd C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvmdi.inf_amd64_01d71cc0a9a2c385\NvCamera
NvCameraEnable.exe off

Sometimes the NvCameraEnable.exe file is located below other inf folders entirely. This name of mine, nvmdi.inf, weren’t included for example in a batch file I came across online that supposed could disable Ansel for DCH packages. That batch file pointed to two entirely different driver folders instead. :expressionless:

In this case though I can’t find any references to NGX at all on my system. Though this is probably because I have a 10 series card which lacks the Tensor Cores that the Nvidia NGX (AI) technology makes use of.

1 Like

Yeah it’s been a while since I checked the installer but I think there’s some separate packages for Turing and Ansel now that you mention it over the earlier GPU models, would have assumed it would be installed but inactive until a compatible GPU was detected but the way the driver installer has all these packages it’s probably separated entirely and the INF controls what’s installed for a particular device or group here.

EDIT:

https://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/461.09/461.09-desktop-win10-64bit-international-dch-whql.exe

https://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/461.09/461.09-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql.exe

Should start using these when I post the drivers come to think of it, both the DCH and older version.

Hmm Shadow Play and Experience are actually included, camera tool and others.

And there’s NVNGX been a while since I looked through these files.
:smiley:

EDIT:
Had GPU availability been better (Been a thing at all really. :stuck_out_tongue: ) I’d probably be on a 3080 now the 10 GB VRAM shouldn’t be a major issue for 2560x1440 and the cost for the later revealed and to be released 3080 Super and 3080 Ti variant would probably have been a bit extra in terms of performance and value.

Curious about the 3080 Ti in particular the 3080 S is likely a 20 GB variant but the Ti should be somewhat faster although info so far points to it being somehow squeezed between the 3080 and 3090 still on a 320-bit bus (Thus 20 GB not 24 I guess.) and slightly slower overall speed and bandwidth.

There’s like a 5 - 8% gap unless you give the 3090 a bit more power or use a custom variant that provides that to begin with.

Kinda like AMD’s 6900XT which only Power Color provides a 3x 8-pin for but AMD still enforced a cap so that’s ~300W instead of the 450W it should be able to deliver.

Power Colors response to AMD capping the 6900XT Red Devil to that was probably something like this:
:person_facepalming:

EDIT:
Cards respond well to overclocking but you get 6 - 8% because of the bios and driver caps instead and there’s some overrides for how the GPU handles and scales to voltage changes so yeah.
(Oh yeah that’s 300% gain or more over the 5700 clock scaling … if you omit the actual final percentage so it kinda looks impressive with that 2% versus 6% ha ha. :stuck_out_tongue: )

GeForce Experience with experimental features probably gets a bit more out of it’s overrides as a result and NVIDIA while strict as well has lifted things a bit more for the custom 3080’s and 3090’s which also show how these scale when not power limited or throttled.
(Well not limited as much as the default at least.)

EDIT:
Entertaining as that is and how it compares AMD also loses a bit from AMD’s own reference pricing being very generous but the custom cards have smaller margins so with prices and such being normalized it’d still be close to the NVIDIA GPU’s so there’s little incentive for a 6800XT over a 3080 as a example.

Reference 6800 had a nice advantage for it’s pricing (Less so for the custom cards once again.) but the 3070’s are close and the 3060’s are likely going to be cheaper so while there’s a bit of a performance gap there’s also a bit of a difference in cost here until AMD’s own 6700 which might have problems against the 3060 depending on how AMD scales this.

Basically at reference pricing AMD has a good bit of performance at a nice lower price though there are also features from NVIDIA and functionality to consider.

With that gone and it now mostly being custom variants this is almost removed entirely.
(Plus overall limited availability though that affects NVIDIA also due to overwhelming demand.)

Uuu, fancy, how elegant is this restart?

That’s how London is :slight_smile:

Though the actual implementation seems quite off to me (lack of samples, the roughness etc)

1 Like

Yeah it’s much the same here though instead of rainfall it’s due the snowfall and temperature shifting around so it’s all kinda melting and freezing from one day to the next. :smiley:

I find SSR implementations like those utilized in Sleeping Dogs or The Division to look a bit less uniform although with better hardware and more experience along with implementing ray tracing early into development it’s going to overtake SSR in terms of visual quality and probably in a shorter amount of time too once the effects get more traction and every developer starts utilizing it to some degree.

Also without forgetting about it with reflections there’s already the big advantage of avoiding the SSR cut-off from being limited to screen-space data or artifacts including ghosting from reliance on data from earlier frames through temporal effects but there’s a lot of sacrifices for performance on both console and PC at the moment.
:slight_smile:

For Legion the various presets also focus a lot on detail distance though the highest preset includes bicubic filtering and there’s support for particle reflections as well though the reflection resolution is still capped and there’s a number of settings for optimizing the effect that is activated across each preset.

Metal also looks quite good it uses separate material parameters whereas glass and general surface areas is what I find to be the more problematic though I suppose part of that is also that these are much larger than the metallic objects spread around and regardless of effect it has to be running at least somewhat reasonable for real-time performance and how GPU intensive this is.
(From what I got from the Reddit discussion this is something NVIDIA’s implementation and help with is very aware of and utilizing well also benefiting AMD GPU’s as a result.)

Hmm The Division 3 with ray tracing support now that would look interesting, gameplay is still a thing though hopefully Ubisoft is becoming a bit less formulaic in this regard though I don’t know there’s plenty of feedback and opinions about Valhalla, Fenyx Rising and Watch_Dogs Legion but they still sell really big numbers too.

EDIT: Visually looking more like it’s part of and into the existing material or mesh less on-top of it like a film of sorts.

Hmm also can’t forget the overall lighting and shadow interaction if there’s only one primary light source (The sun.) it’s also going to be a bit uniformly lit or shadowed depending on time of day and such.

Also something that should improve both with more time and eventually also having better hardware.

EDIT: Suppose with enough water (And some sort of fluid simulation.) the rain would also not just be on the surface but basically cover all of it and look like a separate surface over and on top the road or pavement or street and such.

Physics for weather effects, another little thing that would be really nice to see but likely would take a long time to get going.
(3D instead of 2D elements too.)

It’s pretty reliable, it used to be necessary just to get NVIDIA’s framerate limiter to work in games. All those NVCPL settings you can adjust per-game that would normally require you to restart a game, can be tested much more quickly if you leave the game running and just restart the driver (takes 5-10 seconds as opposed to ??? to restart a game).

1 Like

Restart the driver without crashing the game and any related GPU processes?

Huh that’s very interesting to hear.

EDIT: Something I have heard about though IE web browser GPU accelerated crashes you just close the affected tab and it all works. (Outside of Hardware GPU Scheduling and Chromium severe crashes up to BSOD’s at least.)

Doesn’t work like that with AMD, it takes down the running process and the DWM and related GPU active processes and background tasks so it’s something I find interesting although I wasn’t aware it worked that well for NVIDIA where it could recover full 3D programs too without a application crash. :slight_smile:

Yeah, this stuff has to work, or NVIDIA laptops could never support waking up from sleep / hibernate :slight_smile: That’s more or less what this is doing, but it has the added benefit of applying any game-specific profile changes to driver settings.

2 Likes

As to be expected yeah sleep and hibernation including using hibernation for fast boot isn’t reliable on AMD either there’s something with the kernel driver and process it doesn’t recover very gracefully (Or like at all.) I’ve been looking for a good answer as to why but just one of those differences here.

Sleep I think is working better in the current drivers at least, going to make Wattman think you crashed and might lock the GPU to safe or default values until a reboot though at worst. :smiley:

There’s a bunch of interesting WDDM 2.0 functions for the ability to unload and restart the driver plus that graphics stack hotkey (Ctrl+Win+B or what it was.) but it’s not 100% for whatever reason for AMD.

Need to find what the issue was again but I believe it’s down to some robustness issue with the code put very vaguely since the tech details are fairly high level ha ha.

EDIT: Yeah finding good info on this isn’t easy.

The amount of convenience!

01/13/2021 23:56:15.019: [DX11TexMgr] >> Texture cache remains 17592186041286.26 MiB over-budget; will schedule future passes until resolved.

Oh dear! :smiley:

Perhaps it works without the texture cache enabled unless you are using this to load modified textures.

Doesn’t Unity, UE4 and a bunch of other engines have problems with this also unless Kaldaien resolved those issues. :slight_smile:

EDIT:
No performance issues with Fenyx Rising (D3D11) or Yakuza Like a Dragon here though I don’t have a gamepad and most of the Steam functionality either doesn’t apply (Uplay) or it’s disabled.

I should re-test texture caching also, VRAM’s not too problematic and system RAM is fairly good so short of leakage or engine quirks that should no longer pose a problem.

EDIT:
Well whenever I don’t just throw DXVK into the game because it makes performance go :slight_smile: as a result of curious decisions from AMD. :stuck_out_tongue:

If it is a hardware limitation as speculated at least at some point RDNA class cards can now technically work with the fancy multi-threading utilization but it’s yet another long term project for what’s compared to NVIDIA a smaller software team already working on multiple separate projects as is.

They did get Re-Sizeable BAR (AMD calling it SAM.) added in but then Microsoft put that as a criteria for Direct Storage for Windows I believe whereas H-GPU scheduling (Hardware GPU / HAGS and so on.) is taking forever.

NVIDIA’s also supporting ReBAR as well with the public driver and availability coming in March.
(So just in time for Windows 10 21H1 a month or two later.)

ReLive and other issues, Fidelity Super Sampling something and a bunch of other projects plus the driver development itself.

MSI and Asus started rolling out AGESA 1.1.9.0 and 1.2.0.0 bios updates now, fixes a good amount of the Zen3 CPU issues but it hasn’t resolved all of the other problems.

Gigabyte also pushed out new bios code though they are still validating some of the newer AGESA code for public testing but it also gave some info on these issues.

So the new beta only really fixes the 3300X CPU support and testing is going through final phases for AGESA 1.1.9.0 implementation with no further noted issues.

1.2.0.0 is being tested but is showing the known issues around USB connectivity and more but it should further improve Zen3 CPU support and issues around these like random shutdowns or reboots unstable fluctuating voltages and improved PBO2 / Curve Optimizer results and tuning.

That game probably wasn’t ready for launch.

I do like that they are working on patching it up though but if the NGC update is planned for what looks like Fall 2021 then yeah it needed work.
(Next-Gen Consoles suppose they’re current gen now though.)

Should be another patch within a week too. :slight_smile:

EDIT: There’s a FAQ on the website there with some additional info but it’s fairly vague but ~10 days for the next patch and then plans for late half of 2021 for the next-gen console update.

Unchanged DLC and free content plans and more updates plus troubles with the former gen console hardware which was speculated before launch already as being a major difficulty for them to get that resolved.