Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

How do you get both bright and saturated? That’s not normal, displays generally get less saturated the brighter things get.

Also, SK is designed to be very conservative with saturation, it shouldn’t be causing a jump in saturation versus the game’s HDR.

idk maybe I’m using the wrong words. The UI gets quite bright in native HDR with your recommended settings, but seems to have a greyish tinge to it compared to SDR or HDR conversion with SK.

I don’t fully follow your point about min. luminance. Are you saying there’s possibly an error in the way the game is setting min. luminance, or is there something in my settings I could change to potentially achieve a minimum of 0.0?

That point wasn’t for you – it was general musings on the image processing work I’ve done under the hood :wink:

The point about minimum luminance was that HDR black level is tricky. In SDR, nobody ever really gave any thought to the minimum light level of a display device. But in HDR, it’s possible to have image data that’s darker than the display device handles.

I had to adjust my image processing recently to handle that scenario.

Well availability might improve, pricing however sounds like it’s going to be … less than great.

Hey! (new here)

When using Special K with Cyberpunk I’m running into the issue that the mouse stops working after alt tabbing sometimes.

SK Version: the one from SK_Cyberpunk2077.7z
What I tried so far: launching cyberpunk from the .exe with steam_appid.txt in the folder

Is there some way to fix this that I’m missing?

And I don’t know if this is in the scope of SK, but I’m trying to run the game in 2560x1280 on a 2560x1440 Monitor and the game decides to just upscale that to 16:9 for some reason.

Setting the Desktop resolution to 2560x1280 works, but I was wondering if there is a way to set this up with SKs max resolution.

Limiting works, but the game still decides to upscale to fullscreen.

What I tried:
Nvidia CP: Disable Scaling.
Set the game to fullscreen.
Set Max Resolution overwrite to 2560x1280 - this limits the ingame menu to only this resolution.
Restart game.

Result: 2560x1280 Resolution streched to 16:9

Quick question: What are the recommended general settings for Flip Model Presentation ? I’m currently using:
Presentation Interval = 0
BackBuffer Count = 3
Maximum Device Latency = 4
Waitable SwapChain = On
Enable DWM Tearing = On

I know that some games require different settings but I would like to know what settings I can use for the majority of games.
Thanks in advance.

-1 I would think for application controlled.
0 - off
1 - on
2 - double VSync (Half the refresh rate for framerate)
3 - triple VSync (One third of the refresh rate for framerate)

Think that’s how the basic goes not sure if there’s a 4 (Quarter framerate.) or not and how the game and driver overrides apply to SpecialK. (AMD only allows for modifying for OpenGL with this but NVIDIA I think can enforce this up to at least D3D11 although I am uncertain as to Vulkan and D3D12 here.)

If it doesn’t apply some weird state I believe the ideal is to keep it to -1 and control VSync through the game options.

Some games apply triple buffering as a extra step whereas others give a option for this separately.
Some games allow for the alternate modes like half refresh VSync as a option but I don’t believe any game has had that as the default behavior.
(Thankfully.)

I force Vsync On in Nvidia Control Panel but what with the other settings like BackBuffer Count and so on ?

They’re fine.

Thanks @Aemony

You see no difference with higher midpoint?

I just increased it, it further elevates dark shades and blows out some highlights.

Makes a massive difference, I’m running HDR through SK.

Can’t see it change anything on the calibration images, but ingame it’s night/day. At 4.5 it’s hideous, all bright and desaturated.

That’s useless then :-\ I can’t adjust a setting that has no measurable impact.

They need to add a menu to adjust whatever that setting does while the game is actually running.

I mean, I thought you were playing the game with 4.5 tonemap. I assume you play with 2.0 ?

Since the setting doesn’t do anything, I’ve set it to 10 and 0. Doesn’t really matter.

What value are you playing with?

The setting absolutely does have a massive effect, but the calibration menu doesn’t reflect it. You have to change it and quit the menu every time to see.

Seems odd there’s no preview image or similar for some of these settings if they have that much impact on how the resulting image looks after changing them though I can see the advantage of not having the UI itself be affected when changing some of the HDR options although previewing the difference this makes to the game then becomes a bit more complicated.

Having to go back to the game and then back to the options menu to change and compare again if there’s no 3D background the likes of say Mankind Divided to immediately see the changes made to the way the game looks.

Is this latest version?

Should be the latest overall 64-bit compiled version of SpecialK yeah.

EDIT: Think it’s mainly Cyberpunk 2077 tweaks and this Steam stupid overlay improvement. :stuck_out_tongue:
(Over the version in the D3D12 SpecialK topic posted a few days back.)

The setting absolutely does have a massive effect, but the calibration menu doesn’t reflect it. You have to change it and quit the menu every time to see.

Yep, this. Tone-mapping mid-point is the most important setting to change, even the default of 2 is way too bright. I am using tone-mapping mid-point at 1 and peak brightness at 750, and it looks fine to me, despite the raised blacks. Lowering black point on my LG CX does help with black levels a lot, but obviously crushes shadows.

Crysis Remastered 2.0 with a lot of bug fixes. :slight_smile:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Crysis/comments/keygd6/crysis_remastered_pc_update_20/

Left the bug fixes in the Reddit topic there’s a LOT of them.