Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

Refund police should be a no brainer for electronic purcharge. I don’t understand how Sony or Microsoft can get away with it on consoles.

I know authorities forced the Steam’s hand on this matter, but by now, everyone should have it …

1 Like

Yeah it took a while and digital ownership / license is still a problematic deal though I hear Sony has improved though Microsoft and then Nintendo would also have to follow and some of that might need legal changes and additional consumer protection to become more standardized, improved? Well overall just better really.

I like what Australia and their laws managed to get Valve into accepting further terms for these matters but it’s going to be a very long time until something like that is standard.

Might be going the opposite way for a while too with additional restrictions and other problems before it settles somewhat and starts overall improving, if that happens it could also take several years for it to change to the better.

PS4 and XBox One versions really should be covered better with the state these versions ended up in and how CD Project until now mostly brushed it off though keeping up to date with developments made it clear something was problematic with these builds and the game in general has a ton of bugs and glitches although I hear it can be really enjoyable too but I’ve been reading and there’s just more and more issues like a almost complete lack of simple NPC AI and more realistic behaviors which is something games started solving in the 1990’s before it sorta regressed and then has been going back and forth a while trying to at least give a illusion of a living game world.

EDIT: Patches can help to some degree but a few of the more compromise decisions or designs aren’t something that’s usually addressed though it will be interesting to see how a few months of updates can change and hopefully resolve several of the bugs and performance or stability issues. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The PS4, Xbox One is really anti consumer, the game does not hold a candle to the marketing material.

I believe CDPR will fix most if not all of the issues.

I don’t believe it will be good on on those last gen consoles.
I don’t believe they will fix the most glaring AI issues with NPC, and the game is lacking on the sandbox department.

1 Like

The posted results, text-based only, seemed to be all over the place, with users stating conflicting results. The actual graph-based posted results, or at least the ones I was shown, suggested potential degradation in performance.

I don’t put much stock in individual user reports any longer unless they’re backed by some form of supporting data — even just screenshots of like-to-like scenes (frames) with FPS stats visible on them.

Sadly the average PC player is just too prone to falling for the placebo effect of “I changed something so something had to have changed!” combined with confirmation bias of “I want a positive consequence and therefor I focus exclusively on results suggesting as such!”

On top of this, users also tend to perform multiple wide-reaching changes simultaneously, and so their comparisons are flawed in that they don’t isolate one tweak to another, but are comparing multiple tweaks to a clean slate. Some of these tweaks might have an actual impact, while others might not, but without the ability to compare data of the various tweaks isolated from the rest, one can’t say for certain whether it was tweak A or tweak D that resulted in the performance difference.

In this case I also personally tested the pool memory changes in an intense VRAM heavy scene in the city and noticed no performance difference at all on my aging 1080 Ti.

All of the basically makes it, to me, something like this right now:

• DigitalFoundry’s optimized settings — Legit difference and one that most users will see a noticeable improvement from using. DF’s optimized settings should be seen as a baseline/threshold to not overstep for those wanting best performance. Then either lowering the settings a level or two (at minimal gains) should be tried, or by lowering the internal render resolution through DLSS or FidelityFX CAS (available for Nvidia users as well).

• In my testing I saw the strongest correlation between performance gain to the actual render resolution, way above what lowering most other settings would achieve.
  • The AMD CPU fix for Ryzen CPUs — This is a key performance change necessary on those affected platforms as the game otherwise limits the number of worker threads to excessively due to older AMD CPU architectures (Bulldozer).

• The CPU/GPU memory pools — I have yet to see this have any noticeable impact on performance, even in memory-heavy scenes.

• Other ‘performance fixes’ remains to be seen whether they are worthwhile or not.

Edit:
Gah, I wrote the whole post above on my iPad… Why am I punishing myself so?! :sob:

The general steps that users wanting to maximize performance in Cyberpunk 2077 would take is basically:

1. If they’re on an AMD Ryzen CPU, apply the CPU fix for that architecture.

2. Locate a performance heavy scene in the game (e.g. a hub area in the city) and create a save.

3. Set the game to the lowest possible levels for those where DF posts optimized settings for. Restart the game (important, as I’ve found changing settings without a restart can sometimes harm performance). Note the frame rate that the user gets in that particular scene.

4. Set the game to DF’s optimized settings. Restart the game again, and note the frame rate in that particular scene and determine whether the ‘cost’ of the settings were worth it or not (visual fidelity vs. performance loss). In my case, the difference were neglectable (there was like a 5-10 FPS difference or something like that), while the difference in visuals where major.

5. Lower the internal render resolution using DLSS or FidelityFX CAS until you hit your desired performance target.

Using the above guidelines, I went from stable (capped) 60 FPS with everything set to lowest at 65% internal render resolution (at 4K, so basically 1440p) on my 1080 Ti, to variable 55-60 FPS (capped; but mostly stable at 60 FPS) with everything set to DF’s optimized settings at 50% internal render resolution (at 4K, so basically 1080p).

The frame pacing/frame rate loses where minimal, while the visual fidelity gains were gorgeous and more than worth the slightly more ‘fuzzy’ image as a result of the lowered internal render resolution and FidelityFX’s sharpening filter.

1 Like

Was going to say this. Even friends of mine tend to exaggerate. Fluctuations dropping to the 40s still equals “a 60fps experience” to them.

Only listen to reputable sources, including Kal.

Hi guys. How do I get the widget to show in game (Cyberpunk)? I tried loading latest version of SK using launcher and direct exe (as recommended). When I click CTRL+SHIFT+BACKSPACE, it just opens the game menu (same like if I had clicked escape). In game I can’t move, no WASD. I can only move mouse and left/right click.

HDR is set on for Windows and in game HDR is set to scRGB.

Any ideas?

It’s Ctrl+Shift+Backspace

Sorry. I meant CTRL+SHIFT+BACKSPACE. Updated

which SK version de I use for watch dogs 2? @Kaldaien

Whatever version you want. That’s a ~4 year old game.

Well there’s still UPlay and it’s overlay but that can be disabled now with a prompt so you won’t have to be constantly reminded that you disabled the overlay. (Finally, took years but someone finally got around to implementing that. :stuck_out_tongue: )

Also Easy Anti Cheat but it can be disabled via the command-line parameter -eac_launcher or what it was again unlike newer games where it’s much trickier.

Speaking of Ubisoft Watch_Dogs Legion got updated last week to 2.40 and 1.10 for Valhalla is coming later today.

And speaking of Watch_Dogs 2 it’s still a really fun game even if it’s a little bit uneven in how it’s paced and framed at times but it’s a fairly minor complaint. :slight_smile:
(Also it has Wrench who knows the best troubleshooting involves explosions.)

Lol, playing Watch_Dogs 2 with EAC and online features disabled created the most interesting Ubisoft Connect Wrap-Up for me:

And yeah, that, combined with the number of “followers” (7.3 million) that I had gained in the game was the “highlights” of the wrap-up.

:clap:

Real success story that :laughing:

Edit:

And this hilarious ending of it. I have literally no idea whom those are – some are probably friends from other services, others are the occasional random dude I’ve accepted their invite from.

1 Like

What in the flying f***

With everything I’ve seen, I think it is safe to say they spent basically no time on AI. The enemies are incredibly stupid and easy to manipulate, and then stuff like this is pretty common with the civilian AIs. This game just needed to cook for another 6 months or something. I can’t wait for the stories of this games development to get out. It must have been an absolute shit show for how it has turned out with how much development time it had.

1 Like

I wonder how much development has been going into this since the early reveal (2012) though I don’t think it’s the same issue as some other long development titles although I am curious when the brunt of development began.

Early sketches, designs and story write-up starts years in advance though I would think there’s at least 4 years of development going from Witcher 3 wrapping up and the RED Engine 3 to the new RED Engine 4 here with the last year probably pretty turbulent trying to finalize and wrap up development both for the current console gen build but also the then prior gen one much as it probably isn’t easily salvaged but can’t be scrapped either as one of these titles really trying to push tech ahead but being trapped by hardware constraints.

NDA’s and all that so I have no idea how much can leak or some former employees might risk providing a bit more insight into what went on especially the last years but it’d really interesting to hear something about it. :slight_smile:

EDIT: Not a new story though for video game development lots of titles have been in lengthy development cycles some of them manage quite well others don’t quite fare so good.

Probably a lot of interesting stories and info we’ll never really know in any further detail for what might have gone wrong or delayed things or general problems or mismanagement.

460.89 NVIDIA
(From a topic at Guru3D)

Open issues:

EDIT:
[HDR]: With HDR enabled, black levels are incorrect. [200682795]

Wonder if that explains some of the Cyberpunk 2077 HDR inconsistencies?
(Even when enhanced by SpecialK’s HDR settings.)

Any thoughts on his findings and whether or not they apply to PC HDR?

https://www.patreon.com/posts/44862107

I’ve found that it’s simply impossible to get true blacks in this game, even when using SK HDR gamma adjustment + lower OLED brightness, unless I lower it to the point where it starts crushing detail outside of dim/dark environments.

I was the first to point out the HDR issue with the Cyberpunk 2077 Game Ready drivers (460.79) here. The game’s implementation is poor, but it was clear that HDR was broken with those drivers regardless of the content.

So, to those who said that they didn’t notice anything wrong, you may want to consult an ophthalmologist. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: