Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

Yeah just caught my thought as well with the edited bit there as I considered the games weird behavior with how very few other games show a difference with PCI Express speeds and most cards are not really capable of saturating PCI-E 3.0 bandwidth but something in the game is doing a lot of data transfers here or something.

Atelier Ryza hit that problem due to some weird loop the game does by going back to the PCI bus and something tech complicated I can’t really remember without looking up the report on it but that’s probably different from what’s going on here.

From other details (EDIT: Posts on how the game is running.) it does look like the game is sending a lot of data around and the texture loading at least is impacted by constant streaming in and out and switching and transitioning through various LOD states.

Might be another example of a inadequate cache amount so it starts swapping around instead.
And SpecialK probably can’t do texture caching and management for D3D12 yet.

EDIT: And this is AMD’s SPD technique for their FidelityFX suite of tools and effects mostly known for the Creative Adaptive Sharpening shader I would imagine particularly after it got ported through ReShade and worked on just about anything. :smiley:

A bunch of optimizations, game implementation of it and what it’s used for could be minimal although using it for screen space reflections particularly when the SSR performance above normal quality is a bit more noticeable could be a more major performance gain for AMD Navi cards.
(DOF’s a bit situational where it ends up outside of the photo mode and bloom is a bloom shader I can’t imagine them making it super complex or anything but I could be wrong.)

DF said something about the game running better at PCI-E 3.0 x16 instead of x8. Wich is odd, i never see a game able to saturate that. And Why?? what kind of communication you need to send to the CPU to saturate that in a game ?!?

I’m having some troubles with my MOBO/CPU to get the link up to x16, only at x8. I will buy a new system later this year anyway.

Here is interesting 5.1 GB update for Death Stranding.

• Fixed an issue where frame rate dropped when using Steam Input.

maybe i can use that to fix the double input issue.

– edit –

Still a better port than HZD miles away …

Not off the top of my head, I wrote a Stack Overflow answer about this about a decade ago though. Anisotropic filtering changes the shape of the sample window from square to stretched in some direction.

Without anisotropic filtering, all texels averaged together during filtering are at most 1 pixel away from each other ( a simple 4x4 square of nearest neighbors ). With anisotropic filtering, the distance between averaged texels depends on the slope of the thing the texture’s being mapped onto. So objects that are not parallel to the viewing plane could wind up reading texels that belong to a different tile in something like a virtual texture.

Tl;Dr: Probably just look at the Wikipedia article for anisotropic filtering and that diagram :wink:

Ends up reading something longer* :eyes:

Might be this one?

That looks the part :slight_smile:

Now, that’s a new one … :scream_cat:

‘system’ is silencing users for “typing too fast,” and most of the time ‘system’ does this in English. But ‘system’ picked up a new language it seems. Better keep an eye on this AI, I don’t trust it :slight_smile:

Excuse me while I go rename that AI, HAL. What could possibly go wrong?
2 Likes

Sudden Italian locale change, well I suppose self-learning is nice in practice long as it doesn’t pick up anything too weird. :smiley:

Which is probably impossible what with everything that’s on the net ha ha.

3 seconds is the threshold set to.

I imagine these users are most likely writing their post elsewhere and then copy/pasting it in the reply box or something similar.

I tend to do this whenever I post in English; using grammar tool in MS Word to make sure that my sentences are not too incoherent.

Should I wait for a bit after pasting to avoid being silenced by system?
And would system inform me if I were silenced? Or does it work like a ban on some websites that users still see their own posts but those posted are hidden from other people?

No worries – the auto-silence typically only applies to the very first post that a user makes, and when such an action is performed by the system all moderators gets a notification about it and any of us can (and will) lift it.

Past that point you basically have to mass-post across multiple threads in a tiny window to get auto-silences.

It’s basically only newcomers that might temporarily be silenced upon posting their first comment.

As for being silenced, it isn’t a state that is hidden from the user. Specifically, it means the following restrictions are in place:

Silenced

Account flagged by spam system as a problem account, all posting is disabled.

• Account may not reply to any topic
  • Account may not create any topics
  • Account may not create PMs, but can reply to PMs
  • Account may not create flags
  • Account still can like and bookmark
  • Account can still change user prefs and about me
  • Mailing list mode stops working

@Kaldaien, is this something you’ve looked into?

Wonder if some games are just poor at pausing or idling when not in focus particularly borderless / windows 10 borderless.

Hmm come to think of it wonder if SpecialK does the same when the render thread is set as sleepless if that doesn’t sleep rendering continues does it not?

And now I have something to check, sounds like it’s pretty prevalent.

EDIT: Also yay power outage, construction work and some random cable of no particular importance and oh whoops it supplied the entire town with power so there’s an hour of frantic duct tape action or whatever fix was applied. :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: I mean if it’s good enough for other maintenance work like aircraft it’s good enough here.
Technically though the bit of silvery tape on the aircraft that has passengers all worried about the tape holding or not is a bit of a different product which I’m sure the likeness to normal duct tape wasn’t at all deliberate for messing with the passengers or anything.

SO uh I am on 2004 build of Win10 and it has this weird glitch where it claims I am not connected to internet at all in wifi status. But I clearly am connected. Anyway to fix that anyone?

Odd part this effects my Windows store update capabilities as well.

It’s because one of more of the active probes fails due to some random change on Microsoft’s end or something like that.

1. Press Windows + R keys.

2. Type regedit, click OK.

3. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NlaSvc\Parameters\Internet.

4. Make sure following values exist in right pane of Internet:

"ActiveDnsProbeContent"="8.8.4.4"

"ActiveDnsProbeContentV6"="2001:4860:4860::8844"

"ActiveDnsProbeHost"="dns.google"

"ActiveDnsProbeHostV6"="dns.google"

"ActiveWebProbeHostV6"="www.msftconnecttest.com"

"EnableActiveProbing"="1"
  1. Restart your Computer or disable/enable your connection and reboot your router.

The above will basically redirect the DNS probe to use Google’s DNS instead.

Like what this article stated? I just googled it and found out its a common issue.

I don’t have this folder from this point on o.O

Edit:
Nevermind I do. LOL. Just the thing in regedit search didn’t go to it.

Yes, although that article is… uh… a bit weird. Typically the “solution” to the issue is to disable the active probing. That article, however, states to enable it… which should already be the default state.

Edit: Disabling the probe was mentioned as a workaround early on, but it resulted in Windows 10 basically always assuming the machine was connected even in cases when it weren’t, so it seems not many suggested it as a workaround for long.

You have Windows 10 v2004 – you can copy/paste addresses into the address bar of Windows 10’s registry editor and hit Enter to open them.