Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

Does anyone can record HDR with shadowplay? They say ti works in newest update a month ago but all videos are SDR. Im on a 980ti

Via Guru3D.

EDIT: Could still launch later though, G3D forums mentioned something on GDDR6X 2GB modules for next year so they could have the same layout with these without clamming the VRAM that way and requiring more space and the traces and such for the additional modules, phases and what not for powering them and all that.

How do you run Doom Eternal with dx11?

The really bad thing is it was never announced, and I was trying to hold off for it, so without really knowing I’m not sure if I should go back to start camping for cards again. Knowing my luck I’ll finally get one and then Nvidia will officially announce them. At this point I guess I can at least hold off for the Big Navi announcement next week. Most of the leaks seem to agree they will be within spitting distance of the 3080 and likely cheaper, if so maybe I’ll go for them. Would be great for the better Linux support as well, since I’ve been dual booting lately.

I think Kaldaien uses the global injection and this goes through GeForce Experience and a DXGI hook to present a overlay in Vulkan or at least Vulkan with NVAPI/GFE compatibility.

I believe this is also what allows SpecialK and DXGI to operate together even if it’s maybe the same tech but while fragile (Avoid alt-tab and such.) you can keep SpecialK somewhat compatible through D3D/DXGI in Vulkan even without there being support for this API natively, for now.
(DXVK support can also vary a bit or at least some of the SpecialK functionality like the HDR override if I understood some of Kaldaien’s prior posts on this.)

And yeah the Ampere situation is a bit of a mess with availability and the backed up pre-orders and shipping plus many stores don’t do pre-ordering and once any stock at all is in those few cards are gone almost immediately.

Hearing November/December for improvements on the stock situation in the US, early 2021 for the EU going by ETA’s that stores here are providing there’s a few cards every week but no real stable availability so anything that comes in will be sold out and these crawlers/bots used makes it tough to even see if there is any availability before it’s gone.

AMD’s saying they want a few things but several stores here already enforce some of this like limiting available purchases per customer or even implementing captcha support but this is of limited effectiveness and stores won’t overhaul their back end and systems just like that either.

RDNA2/Navi20 is looking interesting so far, GDDR6 and a reference HBM model even for the 6900 type B but that might not make consumer availability with my own expectations around 3070 up to 3080 performance for the 6900 type A and then it seems the 6800 is very similar to the 5700XT though AMD’s pushing very high (up to) boost clock speeds for it.

Availability of the 6800 should be somewhat solid even for the first batch but it’ll go quick anyway I have no doubts to that and the 6900 might be more limited.

Curious that AMD cut all the RDNA2 GPU’s to 40 CU’s instead of 80 from the driver info I expect it to scale better than RDNA1 but there’s no 60 or 70 CU model instead the 6800 has a 40 and bridges the difference in hardware cores by really high clock speeds assuming it doesn’t throttle.

5700XT attempts a 2100 Mhz speed often capping at 1800 to 1900 though this is also where efficiency begins trailing off anyway but some tuning and tweaking makes it really interesting and if underclocked further it becomes very efficient though at lower speeds there’s a higher performance drop whereas the overclock results are far less impressive.

The stock drivers and the 5700XTX or Anniversary edition could be undervolted and given a lower power consumption which also reduces temperature by a good amount while barely affecting performance.
(Many of the custom models also hit similar limits and show similar undervolt results it mostly ended up being how good the cooler was rather than the GPU performance being any different.)

Just another week and there should be some info, just a bit over a week and the new Zen3 CPU models should also see availability and more bios updates are also coming out now with 1.1.0.0 AGESA plus the recent chipset software drivers. :slight_smile:

I do expect additional chipset drivers and revised AGESA and general bios fine tuning over the first few months but that also gives the silicon a bit of time to mature and the newer batches could be similar improved to how the Zen2’s ended up.

On one hand less power needed for how it boosts but on the other the SVI2 how it was again maximum considered safe voltage could be a tad lower so manual overclocking with minimal chances of degradation is a bit more limited.
(Stock boosting mechanic isn’t bad though it’s a touch hyper sensitive but it’s designed to be. :stuck_out_tongue: )

EDIT: Well another week and that should be the initial Zen3 reviews around November 5th I think and then October 28th for some AMD info and more direct info on RDNA2

Think third party models were still rumored to come in later but the reference models look to be much improved so there might be less immediate benefits over the blower design short of using a water block.

Looks like there’s a new version of GeForce Experience out too.

https://uk.download.nvidia.com/GFE/GFEClient/3.20.5.70/GeForce_Experience_v3.20.5.70.exe
https://uk.download.nvidia.com/GFE/GFEClient/3.20.5.70/GeForce_Experience_Beta_v3.20.5.70.exe

Same version here for both over what was it .40 or something last time for that version?
(EDIT: Actually come to think of it 3.20.5.xx was in itself a bit of a experimental version the stable one was 3.20.4.xx)

As JonasBeckman mentioned, Special K is hooking the DXGI interop layer that Nvidia is using to enable HDR in Vulkan on Windows.

So it requires the game running in Vulkan + with HDR mode enabled, and Special K will be able to hook it and manipulate the DXGI resources.

2 Likes

Ah so it also utilizes the HDR functionality, actually yeah there was something about that now that I think about it and NVIDIA getting HDR in some titles through this interop. :slight_smile:

Red.Dead.Redemption.2-EMPRESS+Mr_Goldberg
That took a while

Red Dead Redemption 2 22_10_2020 10_40_58 am
@Kaldaien almost there, if I turn on SK HDR
Red Dead Redemption 2 22_10_2020 10_43_38 am

Thats with Game HDR on. If I turn off RDR2 HDR specialk k doesnt hook at next startup
its weird as soon as I turn ON ingame HDR SK pop out … the hell

Well this got interesting. I haven’t played the Pigs one but now there is a third one in the series now.

Pretty good if you ask me. And decent price too by the looks of it.

1 Like

Thought it was a remake of the first one but maybe it’s a sequel to the … well there’s a fair few of them but yeah third one mainline I guess?

Back when physics could actually harm the entities although it made the horror a bit goofy…goofier(?) when this survivor was just bashing rocks and whatever on all these supposed monstrosities to great effect. :smiley:

EDIT: Machine for Pigs had some neat stuff going for it too although I found the pig creatures rather less than scary but that’s a common thing.

At least it’s not the usual horror silliness where the player is encouraged to outright clean the maps because it was a really good idea to have the monsters loaded up on ammo and other necessities.
(Evil Within 1 at least had it’s moments and atmospheric horror when you weren’t busy scooping upgrade critical goop into jars.)

EDIT: Well you could have cheesiness and some fairly good games too back in the day.

In the age of FMV video games although the studio then went under these weren’t exactly cheap to make and adventure games even with action elements were in decline.

Although that game eventually gives the player too many weapons and enough resources for them multiple times over making it trivial long as the actual puzzle parts don’t break the players progress.

Not quite Sierra level though so there’s that at least.

EDIT: Although I suppose a popular one nowadays is the helpless protagonist and having to hide and carefully explore instead going at it like it’s a slightly clunkier action game or straight up shooter. :smiley:

It’s because Special K cannot render anything in Vulkan by itself. What Special K hooks and renders is the DXGI interop layer that Nvidia makes use of to enable HDR functionality in Vulkan – which itself is only in use when HDR of the game is enabled.

So basically:

• Vulkan + HDR enabled in-game + Nvidia hardware == Special K can hook it.
  • Vulkan + HDR disabled in-game == Special K cannot hook it.
  • Vulkan + AMD hardware == Special K cannot hook it.

As to enabling Special K’s own HDR retrofit… uh… I don’t think compatibility for that with these sorts of games are high… That Special K can even hook the DXGI interop layer that Nvidia makes use of is more of an happy coincidence than actually intended.

Oh thanks for the explanation. Too much hazzle for only one game I guess

You can’t use Special K for HDR in that game, its Vulkan. The only thing it can do is take screenshots in HDR.

Can anyone who has played one of these games with SK HDR comment on how it compares? I’m curious :slight_smile:

I think SK takes a more conservative approach, I’ve bent over backwards to keep color saturation within natural levels and I don’t think Microsoft cared in the slightest about that.

You can definitely tell it’s a post-process (on an 8-bit source image) in Microsoft’s implementation as well, because there’s no added detail. That looks kind of obnoxious, the highlights are way higher, but the intermediate areas lack detail.

Also, the discussion of Ori and the Will of the Wisps in that video bothers me. I ran the game with SK’s HDR and the results were much better than official HDR, without the blown out colors that look unnatural and with more near black detail. Ori is NOT an example of good HDR in its official form.

It’s difficult to compare since some games shown don’t work correctly with SpecialK and some never got a PC release or the PC version is DX8-9 but Metal Gear Solid V and Fallout 4 look better on Special K than it seems to on Xbox. At least comparing it to that video, but then again Youtube’s HDR presentation isn’t 100% accurate to what I see in actual gameplay.

It’s weird that they complain about the logos being at peak brightness though. That’s not a bug of their emulated HDR, it’s how HDR is on games that natively support it too.

Yeah, I don’t think it’s that weird though…

One of my goals with SK HDR originally was to use the feature I developed to take HUDless screenshots to process a game’s UI and scene independently.

Games with real HDR support have something known as ‘paper white’ level that they scale their UI’s peak white luminance to while processing the rest of the game against maximum luminance. It is a dream of mine to be able to do that in SK (my UI and the Steam overlay are controllable, but game is not).

The paper white setting tends not to be specific to just the UI in HDR enabled games on the One X. It plays a factor into how bright objects likethe sun are and setting it too high causes clipping in clouds and some objects that reflect sunlight for instance.

Ugh, if your game uses a 30 FPS cap for FMVs and runs unlimited everywhere else… please ensure your framerate limiter can actually count. 30.3 FPS is not 30 FPS, Arkham Knight.

How can a game built on Unreal Engine suck this much at counting frames? The engine is used everywhere, Epic has had plenty of opportunity to write a competent limiter for developers to use.