Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

I highly recommend any EU member reading this particular section on EU’s website: Selling products in the EU:

3 Likes

Interesting. :slight_smile:

Will give that a read tomorrow as I’m just about done for the night but apparently Windows found a preview update so that’s going to be one last thing to take care of.

And from what it changes up it looks like 21H1 might be another small incremental patch since this updates the OS to version 19043.782 up from 19042.746
(Though without a enablement pack that’s going to read as 19042.782)

Does Special K’s injection for D3D12 games still work in 19043.782? Apparently RTSS stopped working in D3D12 beause of that update.

I wasn’t finding any D3D file updates but I see them now after waking up both D3D12 and D3D12Core.dll are updated.

Now then testing of SpecialK and D3D12 and overlay compatibility and seeing if Microsoft has posted about what this update actually does.

EDIT: Yep.

Nothing there about D3D12 or DirectX as such though.

Now then…

This looks fine. :slight_smile:

I’m a local mode user though, not that I would think that to have been affected especially if it’s only for D3D12 and not the rest of the supported API’s too.

No address caching for D3D12 and it’s .dll files either in the config file come to think of it, DXGI, D3D9 and D3D11 maybe that’s nothing too important though.

Update 1.1 is out for Cyberpunk 2077

Crash fixes and memory usage improvements are good, various quest fixes and open world improvements and then some misc and platform specifics.

Not bad for a first update after six(?) hot fixes now I think though the list seems a bit small but it’s a start. :slight_smile:

Same… I expected more, to be honest :expressionless:

Oh well, we’ll see how it turns out over the next coming months…

Fixing the save corruption more thoroughly and the underlying cause is a good fix at least, general crash fixes and optimizations are also welcome but can also come in via hot-fixes.

Judging by what I have seen of the game there would be a pretty long list for the open world issues alone but the game should be in a fairly playable state albeit with some roughness to it and a bit of jank.

If this continues for 1.2 and on that would be a nice flow of steady fixes over time but there’s also the the planned roadmap and time schedule and if the Next-Gen console update is the finish for major work on the game there might be some choices for what to focus on and what might need to be dropped or given less priority at least.

Developers expected a longer delay and work into almost 2022 which is also fairly clear on how not everything can be as envisioned or planned but a bigger monthly patch cycle can at least resolve a good bit of the issues that exist with game as it turned out due to well…

That:

Mixed with a bit of hindsight and probably should have thought things through a bit more.
(“Wing it.” is probably not the ideal solution to the problem at hand.)

EDIT: It’s kinda weird in fact as the upper management and execs should have been some of the teams doing the Witcher 3 work if not earlier so the challenges and difficulties involved all the problems and tech and other unexpected issues it should have been well known how difficult things can get and handled way better.

A bigger review of the project as well especially if it gets delayed again and again.

Hmm Firefox beta got updated to 86 apparently instead of video AV1’s becoming a picture format and is now supported?

Interesting.

Guessing it might be a bit slow in adaption though but maybe WebP is hindered by other issues as well.

Suppose it’s still going to be a struggle though, think everything is pretty much Chromium and Chromium optimized these days due to Firefox dropping to some really low number and most other browsers that had any competition going are now Chromium based instead.

Interesting to see AV1 support and nice with something over the aging JPG and the size-wise fairly large PNG formats plus HDR as well assuming it sees some better usage and support compared to some other formats. :slight_smile:

Damn, only 2 billion pixels by 2 billion pixels, not enough for my vacation photos. JPEG-XL (not XR) supports way more pixels :slight_smile:

1 Like

Would be interesting to see HDR digital art, and photography in the future if this takes off…

NVIDIA 461.40
https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/170312/en-us

Forums:
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/game-ready-drivers/13/429825/geforce-46140-game-ready-driver-feedback-thread-re/

PDF:

Looks like this is “Game Ready” for The Medium and has support for Ampere GPU’s in various laptop models.

Then after that a quote of the fixed issues.

And then the list of known issues.

1 Like

Ugh,

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5072

All of the examples given involve games that use NvAPI for HDR. Prior to one of DOOM Eternal’s patches, it was completely using DXGI for HDR and didn’t behave that way. Now it uses NvAPI and alt-tab in/out messes with the DWM’s HDR settings.

NVIDIA likes to use their own tech I suppose, would assume AMD is similar since many of their collaboration projects end up with FreeSync(2) HDR and I believe both vendors now have Vulkan extensions for managing the window state and the HDR functionality in addition to the DirectX features through NVIDIA API and AMD GPU Open.

Not surprises in other words NVIDIA’s tech articles and documentation would focus on said technology though I am curious as to why it behaves like that since from what I have read full-screen exclusivity should not be needed and the system is capable or should be capable of toggling the Windows OS HDR setting as well without messing up.

Obviously though the papers for this and how it should work aren’t quite in line with how it does work.
https://www.asawicki.info/news_1703_programming_hdr_monitor_support_in_direct3d

Holy ■■■■, getting HDR to work correctly in the medium together with SK flip mode is a chore, I think it’s using NVAPI HDR as I get a black screen when switching but HDR is already enabled in the desktop.

It’s Unreal Engine, so it always uses NvAPI :-\ You’d think Unreal would know better.

Can SK change HDR10 Swapchain to 16Bit RGB?

Yes, if you turn on scRGB HDR, then select HDR10 Passthrough and use 80 nits for the peak white luminance.

But that doesn’t do as much as it sounds like it would.

scRGB is 16-bit FP. 10-bit Mantissa + 1-bit Sign + 5-bit Exponent. scRGB is exactly as precise as HDR10, it just handles blending better.

Let us continue the madness in a shiny new thread.