Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

This is the first time I’ve ever been happy to have DLSS, lol. Yeah it does funky things to the image, but it means I can use RayTracing at playable framerates.

Shame ad-hoc multi-gpu’s not a thing. Imagine doing RayTracing on an NVIDIA GPU and rasterization on an AMD, lol. It could totally be done using D3D12, but it’d amount to a proof of concept; no engine dev / studio puts any effort into normal multi-GPU, forget this frankenstein’s monster.

How you see fps counter? What you using?

What? Are you high? :stuck_out_tongue:

Here’s an updated D3D12 build that doesn’t require turning screenshots off, BTW.

dxgi.7z (7.6 MB)

Screenshots still don’t work in D3D12, mind you, but at least there won’t be a crash if you trigger one :slight_smile:

Oh, awesome…

Not the title, but the actual sub-heading you’ve put together. That is so much better than the GitLab tag system I had been using for releases. Normal humans can actually use that list :slight_smile:

It almost looks like someone around here knows what they are doing. Hah.

1 Like

So have we actually got an explanation for what these two HDR modes do in Cyberpunk settings? sRGB is better? Love when devs have settings in total jargon and no explanation!

Okay…

Basically, the first HDR option uses a 10:10:10:2 framebuffer

10-bit red / green / blue 2-bit alpha (not important)

The second HDR option (scRGB) uses a 16:16:16:16 framebuffer

16-bit red / green / blue / alpha

HDR10 scRGB  (16-bit)

• is higher quality; 16 is larger than 10 :slight_smile:
  • is floating-point; it suffers less visible banding artifacts
  • is based on Rec709 / sRGB color primaries, so well suited for consumer displays

HDR10 PQ  (10-bit)

• uses half as much memory as scRGB
  • … can’t think of anything else good about it :stuck_out_tongue:

The PQ in this mode refers to Perceptual Quantization, it is a form of gamma used in HDR.

Both of these formats eventually have PQ applied to them.

1.    “HDR10 PQ” pre-encodes the image using PQ gamma
  2.    “HDR10 scRGB” renders the image without gamma and the driver applies PQ

In the end, the 16-bit scRGB HDR mode should be your goto for higher quality. It might incur a couple % more GPU load than the inferior 10-bit mode.

Technically, scRGB gets converted to HDR10 before your display gets a signal, but results are better if this conversion is from 16-bit color to 10-bit.

Probably shouldn’t have asked me… I just spit even more technical jargon at you,

:rofl:

D3D12 Version of Special K Tested For This Game:

dxgi.7z (7.6 MB)

4 Likes

Thought the tooltips were fairly extensive but since I don’t have a HDR setup I’ve only glimpsed through part of these settings.

Game is supported by NVIDIA too but hopefully it’s HDR10 as the standard method not NVAPI HDR through NVIDIA.

scRGB would then be 16-bit above that and very customizable but the overhaul is still a bit of a work in progress so some of the settings and ways to configure this through the HDR widget and requirements could have changed since the 0.10 and initial 0.11 to 0.11.0.50 versions and this current latest 0.11.1.0 release. :slight_smile:

EDIT: Although I often just poke into the source code so yeah that’s even more technical but I like the little commentary provided. :stuck_out_tongue:
https://gitlab.special-k.info/Kaldaien/SpecialK/-/blob/0.11.liberated/src/widgets/hdr.cpp

Looks like there’s a pretty detailed description set up.

ImGui::TextUnformatted ("Controls mid-tone luminance");
        ImGui::Separator       (  );
        ImGui::BulletText      ("Keep below 1/2 Peak White for ideal Dynamic Range / Saturation");
        ImGui::BulletText      ("Higher values will bring out shadow detail, but may wash out game HUDs");
        ImGui::BulletText      ("Lower values may correct over-exposure in some washed out SDR games (i.e. NieR: Automata)");

So the mid tone luminance in this example, recommended configuration settings and a explanation of what it does and potential issues in some games. :slight_smile:

This should be what pops up for the tooltip description of the settings as well in the SpecialK menus and the OSD when configuring this.

But yeah it can get very technical doing comparisons and calibration with the overlay helpers and all these settings and sliders it’s very different from the on/off setting and some basic in-game options though a few games have gotten better with providing a more in-depth configuration for this.
(Some of it might be a bit tech heavy too other titles attempt various text or image explanations or comparisons to make this at least a little bit easier.)

1 Like

This is exactly why I come here. :eyes:

No that all actually makes sense… Thank you. I’ll test the two for performance but hopefully you won’t think I’m a coward if I leave it on PQ mode, this game is so freaking heavy on the GPU and I’ll need every ounce of performance I can get. If there’s lots of banding I guess I’ll go up to sRGB.

Cyberpunk is doing something to Window’s HDR at a system level.

Blacks become raised/washed out immediately upon starting the game. However, they remain raised/washed out even after exiting the application (running in full screen) to desktop. It’s very apparent if you have a black background.

A workaround, at least for now, on LG OLEDs, is to turn down the TV’s brightness until you see pure black. In the case of my C9, 47 was the magic number.

After quitting the game, the only way to fix the issue is by turning “Use HDR” off and then on again under Settings > Display > Windows HD Color.

Hmm greys look very washed out in game for me but I’m not getting any sort of bug with windows. Try getting to a loading screen, by loading a save for example. The borders of the image appear pitch black.

It seems similar to RDR2’s original HDR implementation where the raised blacks are part of a “filmic” look.

Nothing appears pitch black for me: loading screens, menus, dark scenes… nothing.

Are you sure your desktop isn’t getting messed up? I have a pure black background and it’s very noticeable when Alt+Tabbing or after quitting the game completely. As I mentioned, everything only goes back to normal after disabling and re-enabling “Use HDR”.

First time I’m witnessing a game that does this to Windows even after it’s been closed. EA titles that use Frostbite are notorious for breaking HDR, but at least it only happens while they are still running.

Yep my windows looks fine after exiting the game.

Huh. What display are you using? And I assume you’re running Nvidia’s latest game ready drivers (460.79) on Win10 version 20H2?

LG CX and latest NVIDIA driver. RTX 3070. Dark scenes or menus will not show black, literally the only that will show black is black bars during loading screens.

Okay, so this may be an issue with the Nvidia drivers and the C9. It has happened before: a certain driver raised blacks for a particular OLED model, and was only fixed by Nvidia a couple of revisions later.

Kal apparently has both the C9 and CX, so he could test this for us.

P.S.: I tested two other HDR games (THPS and RE2R) and the same behavior occurs with these latest drivers. Goddammit, Nvidia, not again!

So is there a way to “fix” the black floor in 2077

Going to need bit more context…

Yeah, HDR implementation is borked in Cyberpunk. Spent most of last night trying to find a work around - ended up installing Reshade and setting the black levels there. Now HDR looks kinda right, true blacks and nice, popping neons. Still hope they fix it.

Just saw there’s also a video about it already: Cyberpunk 2077 HDR is Broken on PS5 & Xbox Series X Regardless of HDR Settings - YouTube

any info on how you did that :slight_smile: