Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

Wouldn’t it be better for SK’s HDR to target around 93-94% DCI-P3 as that’s what most displays currently have.

My OLEDs cover 84% of DCI-P3 on a good day, at least according to the EDID and that’s what my tonemapper is shaping the signal for. So, unless the EDID is lying, no :slight_smile:

BTW, I have not forgotten about SK’s framerate limiter… new and improved latency monitoring will arrive in the next update.

Isn’t it surprising because most of the review websites report ~ 99% coverage for DCI-P3 for LG OLEDs ?

Yes, it’s quite surprising. Equally surprising, the EDID claims to be able to do 1499 nits in a 10% window. LG’s not being completely honest with their EDID, but I don’t know what their end game is by lying to anything that asks for the display capabilities. They clearly are very confident in their ability to tonemap luminance, but not to remap gamuts.

Kinda shows a problem that I’ve been dealing with for years now. From time to time, if a third-party overlay injects itself after the game starts, it @#$%s with my limiter’s latency. You have to turn the limiter on/off a few times to get to the virtually 0-sync-delay sweet spot. I tried to automate a system to recover from those problems, but it never really worked.

On the bright side, with the real-time latency tracking as part of the graph, users can see something’s not quite right and manually turn the limiter on/off themselves. Hacky solution, but I’m already outperforming everything else in the market, so just deal with it :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Confirmed using GeForce Experience ovrlay, G-Sync adds about 20 ms of input latency, ROTFLMAO. Unless you turn V-Sync off, at which point the driver claims G-Sync is still working, but tearing is clearly visible … but at least G-Sync input latency goes away.

WTF kind of opposite bizarro world is this?

Waitable SwapChains are either the greatest thing in the world, or the driver’s broken. I don’t think this is intended, or nobody should be using G-Sync.

Waitable (tearing free) has about 1 ms more latency than G-Sync On + V-Sync Off (which includes tearing). This is after building a new VBlank undershoot feature into my limiter, it’s designed to present frames for composition a little bit earlier than normal VSync would. The distance between each frame is still constant, I’m just racing to get the frame queued for presentation ~4% quicker than VBlank.

In a way, this is like scanline sync, only I couldn’t care less about syncing to a particular scanline or turning V-Sync off, I’m just working to keep the DWM and application synchronized.

Test Builds for anyone interested; note that Unreal Engine needs to be set to Borderless Fullscreen in-game before you enable a Waitable SwapChain or it’s going to try to do a fullscreen mode switch once every frame until you restart the game (said repeated attempts to mode switch every frame actually causes the engine to run out of memory eventually).

SpecialK32.7z (6.3 MB) SpecialK64.7z (7.6 MB)

1 Like

Looking mighty good :open_mouth: I need to take it for a spin later though – I really don’t have any fun game to play nowadays so there’s been little gaming the last few weeks for me.

And on that note, have you thrown an eye on Halo: The Master Chief Collection any? That is a weird one – the launcher/main menu technically runs on one engine, and then all the individual games seemingly runs on their own little engine(s) that hooks into the main engine somehow.

Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary and Halo 2 Anniversary also apparently runs two engines in realtime simultaneously or something, according to PCGW.

So the end result is a mismatch of Unreal Engine, Halo Engine, and Saber3D Engine running in various mixed modes depending on game and graphical settings and whatnot.

SK’s frame limiter seems to work, but the various swapchain management overrides doesn’t. Although it’s not a major concern as this game actually makes use of Discard (Flip) by default on my system.

1 Like

On another note, the Controlled Folder Access feature of Windows 10 is… quite something… It’s surprising just how many applications it prevents from writing to the Documents folder. So far it have prevented Uplay, ShareX, FFMPEG, NieR: Automata, Halo: The Master Chief Collection (closed beta), and once even Explorer itself from writing to the folder.

And I’ve just had it running for like a day or two and barely launched any games or applications…

Sounds like what the re-release of the Monkey Island game does things where you just press a button and it instantly switches between the old and new game because it’s running both in the back-end of the engine in some way so it just shifts from one to the other.

Don’t know what Halo 2 Anniversary does though but from what I am hearing the enhanced version of Halo 1 runs over the original port which works fairly well but it doesn’t quite match up with collisions and other data so it’s less impressive than what they achieved with the second game.

Need to pick that up come to think of it soon as they’re done with Halo 4 and updates to the existing content.

Suppose Bungie themselves are doing Destiny now, would be nice to have some of their older titles remade though I suppose fan fixes and efforts plus open source data has allowed some of it like for Marathon.

And however Halo Infinite will turn out, could be interesting long as 343 don’t get too stuck in the open world formula that’s currently going on now ha ha.

EDIT: Ah and the new Leisure Suit Larry game is out speaking of old adventure titles.
Shame Al Lowe didn’t part on the best of terms with the remake of the first game and then getting stopped from selling the source code too.

From the sounds of it the two new ones are solid but miss the point of the games, somehow.
(“Larry is a loser.” It’s pretty simple ha ha.)

And all the rest of Sierra’s older library of games much as the obscure trial and error and error and error puzzles drove players insane. :stuck_out_tongue:
(Leading to in part I believe the creation of Lucas Arts for a few years before the adventure genre declined.)

Oh and someone benchmarked Legion early.

EDIT: Hmm actually several videos available must be some preview thing.

Think the Ultimate edition unlocked early too but the base game is already 60 Euro then 90 Euro for the season pass content (“Gold edition”) which is already way above normal pricing.

Then I think it’s 120 Euro for Ultimate with a small pre-order discount (Only for this edition.) which on top of the Gold edition has a bunch of smaller extras and this two day early unlock.
(Really not worth the cost.)

You can also do that 100 Ubi-coins for a 20% discount but conveniently that particular function is under maintenance until later today for some reason. :stuck_out_tongue:
(Store itself and all that works fine.)

EDIT: And more GPU rumors.

The animation work in that WD benchmark

tenor (4)

Yeah I hear that on the various forums I’ve been reading from and getting info via, it’s probably built up from the engine in the former games eh what’s it called again Disrupt as a fusion of Anvil (AC3/AC4) and Dunia (FC3/FC4) I think so there’s some legacy and older stuff as a result.

Watch_Dogs 2 had some variety but not the greatest animation quality so another four or five years on and yeah that and it seems the textures are getting a lot of criticism now.
(There should be a texture pack as a optional DLC if that’s already available but they don’t always make that much of a difference.)

EDIT: Could do with a engine overhaul like what Anvil had for Assassin’s Creed 3 and then again for Origins but from memory it’s a similar problem with a large amount of animations but the actual feel or quality to how these look and sync up isn’t the greatest.

Think For Honor had some dynamic technique here but I don’t know if Ubisoft has been using that for much else.

Hmm wonder what will mean for Far Cry 6 and Dunia too and I suppose in a few weeks it’ll be possible to compare against Assassin’s Creed Valhalla and this latest game on the new Anvil engine.

Ubisoft has quite a few internal game engines between it’s studios though I suppose it’s not exactly a bad thing.

Dunia
Disrupt
Anvil
Snowdrop

Probably some others but I think that’s the major ones although Snowdrop isn’t used as much outside of Massive and Division.
(Somehow ended up in the South Park game though.)

EDIT: Scimitar for Prince of Persia but that’s probably not happening (No idea what the remake of Sands of Time is running on come to think of it.) and then I guess they had some work on UE2 and UE3 for a while.

If they ever do make a new actual Splinter Cell game rather than Sam Fisher is in every Ubisoft franchise but doesn’t get his own game maybe they’ll be using Anvil like what Wildlands and Breakpoint did.

I pre-ordered Ultimate Edition actually. And it seems I can preload it today even.

1 Like

I think a better option than relying on EDID is to either get a colorimeter and measure yourself, or trust the reviewers like rtings etc, looking at reviews though i’m pretty confident that most displays are minimum 93-94% DCI-P3.

Hmm interesting, with Path of exile at least just having it injected but not doing anything, leads to weird sub 12fps 0.1%-1% frametime lows when spells/mobs are loaded when they pop-up, leading to a truly horrible experience (visible stutter even with gsync), seems i gotta use RTSS framelimiter then as it doesn’t have this issue.

Posting this image just for reference. Maybe you find it helpful.

Hmm Uplay updated now it’s Ubisoft Connect.
Merging a few features into one and a couple of other changes.