Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

wow I thought it was not possible? I`ve got a 4k 43 " LG 43UJ6300. Will I be able to use those setting at 60hz?

Judging by the specs of that TV, 10-bit 60 Hz is possible but not 10-bit 120 Hz.

You can run the desktop at 10-bit YCbCr 4:4:4 60 Hz, but the reason you probably did not know this is because you are running an HDMI 2.0 GPU :frowning: I only have these options available because I have converted my DisplayPort 1.4 port to HDMI 2.1 using a special active adapter.

Well, I’ll basically order a Founder’s Edition tomorrow if everything checks out fine.

Could always just add it to SKIF for now. Adding another tab wouldn’t really be that much of a hassle.

yes, i got a 980 ti with an hdmi 2.0b

Does that mean Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning should be on Smooth instead of low latency mode?

No, it means the opposite. That’s the one game I’ve tested where SK’s low latency mode is really low-latency. Most games you might only get a 1-2 ms improvement, that one gives you a 10-20 ms improvement.

Odd in my game I was getting major delay in Controller functions with it on. Variation right now is locked at 0.1ms avg while low latency mode was hitting as high as 14.2ms or so.

Basically low latency mode on my end makes variancy avging 4ms at 30 fps locked. And controller was very delayed in button prompts and such.

Edit:
Is there special settings that need to be done with Kingdoms of Amalur at locked 30 fps? b/c at 1440p in my game I can’t really sustain anything higher than 40 fps.

The problem with that, is … the framerate graph you are referring to is not a measure of latency. That is frame time, latency is completely different.

Right click the frame pacing widget, then scroll down and tick the hidden ‘Debug Mode’ checkbox.

Then, observe the “Effective FPS” statistic, that is a much better measure of latency.

Alright will test it out with that. But odd that my controller functions were much more delayed with it on.

That’s probably because the Steam overlay is faking controller input. You use a DualShock 4 controller, right? If you let the Steam overlay manage SteamInput for it, it’s going to introduce input lag that the game wouldn’t otherwise have.

Yes I do use DS4 controller. And how would steam’s overlay mess up low latency mode? And effect the controller to function slower. Should I turn it off for Kingdoms of Amalur?

Well it seems that low latency on is huge difference in Kingdoms of Amalur.

Low Latency OFF

Low Latency On

Increase of 100 fps lol.

Steam’s overlay will only poll controller input when it draws the overlay. So any kind of framerate limiting causes the Steam overlay to delay controller updates to the game.

So turn of steam input mode for the game then?

Yes, that should help. Assuming the game has native support for DirectInput. Otherwise, an actual Xbox controller would be better :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh snap it does have native support for DS4 controller. IT SHOWS THE PS Prompts too. Oh snap. This is something I didn’t realize that it had. Hell yea.

Edit:
To see PS prompts you need to disable Steam Controller Input in the game. And now it shows up properly. Something I didn’t realize the game had.

Edit2:
Thanks Kaldaien for that wisdom. Didn’t know that it even had native support lol.

Which 3080 review do i check out first? Just got back home to so many, lol.

Should be a new driver tomorrow too plus additional reviews for the regular editions of the card. :slight_smile:

Probably a few tweaks over the driver used in the reviews so perhaps no major changes for the 3000 series but it could have a number of additions and improvements over the current 350.xx series drivers.

I love it … everyone else is going crazy over the RTX 3080 / 3090 launch, and we’ve got Clint from LGR having fun unboxing a 20 year old GPU :slight_smile:

I love how the 1080 ti still holds up so well, AMD still hasn’t released a more powerful GPU all this time later.

Yeah until the 2080Ti and even so the GPU aged remarkably well.
2080 giving users RTX capabilities but it seems the actual performance gains are almost within the margin of error for benchmark results going by that image.