Tales of Berseria texture dumping

Through the Special K Ui/plugin for Tales of Berseria, I was able to get the DDS files for some of the game’s textures. In the Special K menu, I went to ‘Texture Modding Tools’ → Live Texture View → Refresh Textures, then Misc. Settings, and then put a check on the box by ‘Dump ALL Textures’

after applying the changes, I saw I got DDS textures under steamapps\common\Tales of Berseria\TBFix_Res\dump\textures, in the folders: A8R8G8B8, DXT1, DXT5, and L8

I’m thinking about using those for texture upscaling/modding for this game, but my question is this: is there an easy/quick way for me to get all the game DDS textures through Special K ?

The current method apparently only gives me the option to dump to my local disk the textures from the Live Textures View, which appear to be the textures from the current scene or area of the game. If I change game area, I can dump more/different textures to disk I guess… but not sure how long that would take…

I’m especially interested in getting the DDS texture files for all the game skits to try to upscale those for 4k. Maybe I’m overlooking a setting or something. Also, thanks a lot for the work for this game and with Special K in general

If all the textures can’t be downloaded at once from Special K, does anyone here know of any other way ?

Looking online, I found something called “Tales of Berseria Tools” here-
https://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?t=17346

but it’s from 2017 and I couldn’t get it to unpack the files in Tales of Berseria to give me the DDS game texture files when I tried… any other ideas ? Thanks

Not familiar with this game or any modding tools for it, but i can expand regarding SK.

Yes you can only dump active textures, and is a slow process. You’ll have to load all areas of the game if you want to dump every single texture.

That being said, dumping all textures isn’t as convenient for upscaling as it may sound. There’s many textures you’ll never need to upscale, and will ultimately just hog resources if you brute-force every texture through upscaling. You’ll end up manually going through each texture and deleting what you don’t want upscaled, which is probably a longer and less convenient process then manually dumping one texture at a time, assuming you only focus on textures that look like they need upscaling.

Either way, faster process than manually re-making certain textures from scratch, i’ve worked on one texture for a month’s worth before :sleepy:

Ah I see. I think you do make a good point there…

Thanks for confirming regarding SK and for the advice!

and yeah a month’s worth of work on one texture doesn’t sound very fun. I’m definitely glad technology has been growing to where we now have more upscaling options that can work well depending on the texture or image etc (I’ve used waifu2x for some upscaling, and I’ve liked the results)

Hello Gias! I wanted to do the same as you and I was able to get all the texture files using these Tales of Berseria tools. Unfortunately, I’m a real novice when it comes to textures and making mods, so I have some problems here. I can patch the improved texture into the game file (TLFILE.TLDAT) and copy it back, but then the game won’t start.

So I thought that maybe it has something to do with this tool because you decrypt it, then unzip and patch the expanded file back into the decryption file. There is no way to re-encrypt the file (if that makes sense, sorry) or the problem is in the DDS files I create when upscaling. I know far too little about this matter.

but maybe we can help each other!

not sure what you mean by decrypt here exactly, but keep in mind special k / tbfix uses texture injection where your upscaled/modded texture dds file basically needs to have the same hash/file name as the original (that you’re wanting to replace) would have when viewing it from sk’s/tbfix’s live textures view window or after dumping it to disk.

if you got the original textures from somewhere else (instead of dumping them to disk with sk/tbfix), then i imagine they have some other file name and, if that’s the case, you’d need to figure out which hash/name is needed and rename your dds files if you’re wanting to use sk’s/tbfix’s texture injection. once you figure that out through checking the live textures view window or some other method, you’d have to also keep in mind the compression method that the original textures used when you’re going to save your dds textures. generally have to match the same format or save them uncompressed (uncompressed won’t work all the time or with all games though).

yet another thing to consider here is file structure. actually with tbfix, there are a couple ways you can have your new textures: A) stream the textures from .7z archives or B) have the textures in a folder – both options would have sk/tbfix use the replacement texture(s) instead of the original one when the game attempts to load the original texture;however, keeping the textures in a .7z archive can allow for smaller files sizes. also, both methods require a specific path and file structure. if you don’t have the textures with a correct structure or in the correct location, your textures won’t show up in the game even if the dds hash/file name and file compression is the same as the original texture.

for streaming textures in a .7z file (option A), you’d want something like this-

also, inside the .7z the structure should be-

\Textures\Streaming

and the dds textures will be in that streaming subfolder
(but you’re not extracting them - just have the .7z in the inject folder as shown in the screenshot above)

to have the textures outside a .7z archive instead (option B), you’d want something like this-

that said, i currently don’t really have the time or motivation to work on textures for this game. i might revisit this at some point in the future, but probably not any time soon…

Thanks alot! this information really helps me a lot!

My plan originally was to enhance the textures extracted from the original game file, pack them back into the original game file and that’s it.

but unfortunately this way does not work. because you can no longer encrypt the game file packed in this way, so that the game accepts and loads it. in layman’s terms.

Anyway, thanks again for the precise instructions and all the best!