"Supports Tearing In Windowed Mode" Flag When Running Game In Borderless Windowed

The game is Remnant: From The Ashes, and is running in DX11 mode. I am using Special K’s HDR retrofitting as well.

Is there a way to remove this flag? I would like to get the triple buffering that occurs when normally running the game in windowed mode.

Screenshot:

No, just don’t set the Presentation Interval to 0 and that will have no effect on anything. I have a feature to add that flag to games, but there’s absolutely no reason to ever remove it from a functioning game that is smart enough to add it itself.

Use SK’s Framerate Limiter w/ Presentation Interval = 1 and “Drop Late Frames” for basically the same thing, but without the tearing.

but there’s absolutely no reason to ever remove it from a functioning game that is smart enough to add it itself.

Why not? Other than G-Sync support.

Use SK’s Framerate Limiter w/ Presentation Interval = 1 and “Drop Late Frames” for basically the same thing, but without the tearing.

I thought that presentation interval was for G-Sync. Will setting it to 1 eliminate tearing without G-Sync?

Use a newer version of Special K, the framerate limiter has an option called “Drop Late Frames” now.

Technically, SK has always had that option, in flip model I have always used that but it’s configurable now.

When Drop Late Frames is turned on, it basically makes it so that any value for Presentation Interval that’s not 0 will perform DWM triple-buffering. Since you shouldn’t be setting the Present Interval to 0 anyway, that game’s flag will have no effect.

Also, this notion of “tearing” as it is referred to, is REQUIRED for G-Sync to work if you have two different window applications on screen at the same time. What this tearing flag refers to is the foreground window controlling the refresh rate of the DWM independently. Without that flag, if you have two different windowed apps visible at the same time, they get synchronized to one another.

You know that setting in NVCPL called “G-Sync in Windowed mode?” That driver hack is the same thing as this tearing flag.

1 Like