Special K v 0.11.0.45 - [ Bringing auto-update / SKIM back ]

If at all possible, could you see if you could add Special K compatibility with this open-source Epic Games Launcher?

It stores all the relevant information about installs in %USERPROFILE%\legendary\assets.json

Yea I agree. Just go with what suits your fancy at this point. Epic it is.

Bah, it’s better to modify SKIF to allow it to hold its own database of games instead of scanning every store there is. It’s not like browsing to a game directory is very hard - except for Steam and Epic Stores which use these silly URLs. And probably Origin with its very mean launcher executables that unpack games in memory for DRM purposes.

Browsing and adding all of my games folders sounds way more cumbersome than have SKIF just populate it automatically, I’ll admit :slight_smile:

That sounds terrible, actually :stuck_out_tongue:

By parsing the game manifests, I can link directly to PCGamingWiki as well as the directories where a game stores its config files and screenshots. For the major platforms, this is functionality I want to preserve.

Is there any kind of guide for dumping, editing and injecting shaders with specialk? I’ve seen people mention it but can’t find any basic how-to.

For what its worth I have a lot of experience doing the same with 3dmigoto.

At the moment, no :-\

I was planning to write said documentation as part of Special K’s Steamworks Workshop intergation, but SK’s no longer a Steam product :frowning:

Also, at the moment, I do not support injecting shaders, only textures. I have on two occasions replaced a game’s shader completely, but there’s no general-purpose feature for the end-user to do this.

@Kaldaien could i set up a documentation for shader debugging and texture injection? I don’t think there’s anything on that stuff, and i’m experienced enough with SK to cover basically most of it - you could fill in the rest or explain more if i miss anything.

Why are you asking me? :stuck_out_tongue: You can do whatever you want, and that would be appreciated.

Even if I have to re-write / fill-in details, that’s less work required for me and even better it’s from the perspective of someone who has used the tools rather than someone who built the tools and would probably gloss over various details :slight_smile:

Are you okay with a PDF document? Might be convenient as well to be able to attach a PDF link to the site.

What are my options? :stuck_out_tongue:

PDF is hard for me to edit, but of course, .docx is not exactly portable. I think the best route would be to store the original in Microsoft Word and then export to PDF if this even needs to be PDF in the first place.

Taking the .docx document and turning it into a wiki feels more appropriate for a project like this.

On that note @GPUnity, you can always also create a page below your PCGW “user namespace” and write/throw everything you want at it in there, if that’s doable for you as well.

It’s basically any random page name prefixed with “User:GPUnity” like so:

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/User:GPUnity/SK_Texture_doc (underscores == spaces)

PCGW doesn’t really concern itself with what users documents on their user pages – fun fact, we even have Cyanic’s documentation on Steam DRM on the page that was eventually helpful when Atom0s created his “Steamless” deobfuscation tool for DRM :laughing:

Hmm…

Could that be used for users to publish raw INI settings for games? (e.g. user figures out compatibility settings needed or settings to improve a game)

I’m trying to figure out how to implement my original Workshop plan, I’ve been kicking around a few options – Gitlab comes to mind, but I think that’s too complicated.

No actual content short of INI files would need to be stored, I just want users to be able to point to a single URL and get a list of all User Generated Content for that user.

Yes, however I’m not sure it would be optimal… It’s possible that users can create pages under their own namespace even without having to fulfill the basic requirements we enforce elsewhere (3 edits on other pages + 6 hours since signing up), but… Hmm…

Due to the way MediaWiki’s text parser works, users would have to use e.g. <pre> tags or <nowiki> tags to enclose the ini settings and whatnot, which adds some complexity when compared to just copy/pasting stuff over.

On another note, I was discussing the potential for subpages for third-party tools a few months ago and while nothing have been finalized as of yet, PCGW might eventually move towards that direction.

It would mean that PCGW would e.g. hold Special K related information on a subpage such as https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XV/Special_K and then easily facilitate navigation between the two.

Here’s the proposal thread in question if you want to read more (unless I’ve already linked this in the past):

Ah, cool. That sounds a little like what I want.

Hmm, i’ve never actually tried making a PDF document before XD

But i like the ones i’ve seen, and you have more control over the layout to my knowledge. Plus i have Adobe Acrobat DC as part of my Adobe subscription, might as well try it out. I should be able to import word documents to Acrobat DC, not sure how i’d handle PCGW, considering the formatting. I’ll work it out.

Don’t use PDF. It’s a destructive format that basically makes it a hassle to export or extract information from. Either use DOCX or something else and then when finished use PDF solely for a presentation copy of the final edit.

But the actual editable document should always be in another format.

I still remember when work wanted me to extract information from 100+ PDF documents for a new customer… It was the worst thing I’ve ever come across.

Although funnily enough, that’s when I learned the best way to piss another service provider off is to provide them all of the documentation they would need to edit in the future as PDF formats. Bonus point if it’s stored as images, meaning they can’t even extract text from the documents without using a OCR tool.

Basically what i intend to do. But lemme exercise some visual freedom with Acrobat :wink:

I’m all for final results, anyway. If i’m not satisfied, then i move well away from PDFs.

Once installed, Adobe Acrobat creates a virtual “Adobe PDF” printer, so you can use whatever software you want to create the document and then convert it to PDF by “printing it” using that virtual printer.

Not to mention that Windows 10 includes a virtual PDF printer nowadays at the OS level as well.