Special K v 0.11.0.45 - [ Bringing auto-update / SKIM back ]

Ah ok thanks. So should I just keep this version safe on my computer?

Refer to the compatibility list - which will tell you which version of SK works with tested games. 0.11.0.45 works fine with most games, but you can keep SKIM downloaded anyway, as not all games maintain perfect compatibility over time to my knowledge.

So is this type of SKIM planned to have a return, or will what it did/does make its way over to SKIF? I tried launching NieR: Automata through SKIF but it didn’t apply the FAR fix, so i’m just a bit confused on what SKIF is supposed to do, or if I messed up using it properly.

SKIF will receive auto-update functionality, at least. I don’t remember if there’s any plans as of this moment to also migrate other SKIM-based functionalities over to SKIF in that form.

It’s not as if SKIM will stop working for its intended purposes.

As for NieR: Automata, SKIF should do the trick provided you have global injection enabled and… uh… well… are running the legit copy of the game located below a SteamApps folder. FAR is technically just a plugin embedded in Special K, so as long as Special K gets initialized into the game and recognizes the executable name it’ll unlock the FAR features and toggles.

Well, there is the issue. I didn’t know I had to start the global injection myself, I was used to the old skim way where I would select FAR then click install. So that is just the way I did it know, but for future use I know to click to start the global injection thing first. Thanks for helping fix the user error.

What you can do after you’ve launched NieR: Automata is open Special K’s in-game control panel and use the File → “Install local wrapper DLL” (or something like that) option.

That will install Special K locally in the game folder so it doesn’t need global injection running for future launches.

hello guys i am new here i installer this mod to play red dead 2 but it not working nothing happen when lunch the game what i should do ?

https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/25dee8aeb2290b1e52fcdeced0a3e6f92e5fc56459172ef6c98ba4bbc2508d11.png

There’s not much reason to use Special K in Red Dead Redemption 2 as that’s a Vulkan-based game meaning Special K’s in-game UI and more advanced capabilities can basically only be used on Nvidia hardware when HDR is enabled in the game.

All other scenarios (non-HDR or non-Nvidia GPUs) are limited to only using the frame limiter, I believe, and even the use of that might not really be necessary in that game.

The game also supports DirectX 12 from my understanding but it doesn’t provide too many options either at the moment and if it’s been updated and patched up since launch many of the early problems and performance issues should be mostly solved by this point and across both the games Vulkan and D3D12 implementation. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Okay, looks like Epic Game Store is the next platform to get attention in the form of a game management list. Not much of a platform, but they do follow some similar designs as Steam and that makes it much simpler to locate all installed games, as well as identify the running game and whitelist injection.

GOG is going to be the most difficult, it is the least organized of all the stores thanks to the standalone installers. It also tends to get the fewest patches, and the games that are unique to that store are mostly too old for SK to do anything with. I don’t think it’s even worth trying to figure GOG out, probably why Galaxy is trying to turn into a launcher for other stores games – CD Projekt cannot even figure it out :slight_smile:

1 Like

If at all possible, could you see if you could add Special K compatibility with this open-source Epic Games Launcher?

It stores all the relevant information about installs in %USERPROFILE%\legendary\assets.json

Yea I agree. Just go with what suits your fancy at this point. Epic it is.

Bah, it’s better to modify SKIF to allow it to hold its own database of games instead of scanning every store there is. It’s not like browsing to a game directory is very hard - except for Steam and Epic Stores which use these silly URLs. And probably Origin with its very mean launcher executables that unpack games in memory for DRM purposes.

Browsing and adding all of my games folders sounds way more cumbersome than have SKIF just populate it automatically, I’ll admit :slight_smile:

That sounds terrible, actually :stuck_out_tongue:

By parsing the game manifests, I can link directly to PCGamingWiki as well as the directories where a game stores its config files and screenshots. For the major platforms, this is functionality I want to preserve.

Is there any kind of guide for dumping, editing and injecting shaders with specialk? I’ve seen people mention it but can’t find any basic how-to.

For what its worth I have a lot of experience doing the same with 3dmigoto.

At the moment, no :-\

I was planning to write said documentation as part of Special K’s Steamworks Workshop intergation, but SK’s no longer a Steam product :frowning:

Also, at the moment, I do not support injecting shaders, only textures. I have on two occasions replaced a game’s shader completely, but there’s no general-purpose feature for the end-user to do this.

@Kaldaien could i set up a documentation for shader debugging and texture injection? I don’t think there’s anything on that stuff, and i’m experienced enough with SK to cover basically most of it - you could fill in the rest or explain more if i miss anything.

Why are you asking me? :stuck_out_tongue: You can do whatever you want, and that would be appreciated.

Even if I have to re-write / fill-in details, that’s less work required for me and even better it’s from the perspective of someone who has used the tools rather than someone who built the tools and would probably gloss over various details :slight_smile:

Are you okay with a PDF document? Might be convenient as well to be able to attach a PDF link to the site.