SKIF lists 64-bit game as using SpecialK32.dll

For some reason SKIF lists ‘‘Stories: The Path of Destinies’’ incorrectly as using SpecialK32.dll.

1 Like

Unreal Engine, hmm wonder if they are using a 32-bit launcher although being Unreal Engine 4 32-bit isn’t really used much here plus the path for .dll files is off in a separate folder structure so no chance of it doing multiple files next to the exe like the binaries in Unreal Engine 3 though even that engine separated x64 and x86 paths here. :slight_smile:

Ahh and then there’s how Steam reads 64-bit as well or how the config for that goes.

https://steamdb.info/app/397540/info/

https://steamdb.info/app/439190/info/

That’s not filled out. Wonder if there’s a config issue here.

No 32-bit launcher at all, actually. In fact, the Steam config is to run the 64-bit game executable directly for once — something few UE4 titles seems to do.

I’ve got no clue myself what could explain why it is detected wrong. It’s not as if it’s a C# executable compiled as AnyCPU (basically includes both 32-bit and 64-bit).

This is just a guess, at best. It goes by the launch config’s architectures in appinfo.vdf. That game may be misconfigured.

Indeed, if the only executable it ships with is 64-bit, then it’s not correctly setup.

I looked through all of the packages for this game, and it has no 32-bit executable. It is configured incorrectly, and the Steam client will show this game to people without 64-bit OS's.

Ah, that makes sense. There’s a few of those titles on Steam already though. Is there any possibility of adding an additional one-time check in SKIF that reads the bitness of the executable itself to just validate the info from appinfo.vdf?

I imagine though that… uh… such an operation might not be the fastest given some users have like 400+ installed games.

Just Cause 3 has this same problem. Only has one exe, and according to PCGW it’s a 64-bit game.

I have seen quite a few games with the same problem but I haven’t noticed any issues with a 64 bit game using the 32.dll unless there is one.

Here are ones I have found

• Batman: AC
  • Batman: AO
  • Deus Ex: Human Revolution
  • Devil May Cry 4: SE (This one uses DX10 I believe)
  • Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
  • Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
  • Tomb Raider 2013

This is more or less a problem with Steam rather than SKIF.

Steamworks defines application architecture in the launch configuration and there are a ton of 64-bit games on Steam that are not properly configured. Many games have started out as 32-bit, and then the developer continues patching the game and realizes they hit a memory limit and they switch over to 64-bit.

The DLL name is just informational, really. The important thing is whether it’s Global / Local and the Version # and that’s not hindered by misconfigured Steam AppIDs.

(e.g.)

1 Like