New HDR Calibration Procedure (SK 0.11.1 + HGIG)

Have you seen my screenshots? How do they look to you? You said you saw one and didn’t notice any pink, but the sky is literally 80% magenta, so I’m not sure if I’m going colorblind here or if you’re just trolling me. :rofl:

That’s literally the same shade of pink/magenta that I was talking about before, lol.

Check my screenshots, seriously. I took them using Nvidia Share (Shadowplay), since it’s an Origin game, and they look exactly the same as the image on my screen.

That’s not even remotely the same. Your screenshots are purple.

Circled the problem areas. This, of course, has been tonemapped down to SDR and I can show you the areas, but the color is not accurate. The circled regions are so pure red and at such intense luminance, they appear a shade of pink from the 1990s.

Closest you are going to get to a proper visual representation is this:

The Witness 11_14_2020 3_16_09 AM.jxr (9.1 MB)

^^^ Consult that in an application that can view HDR images

I feel like I’m slowly going insane throughout this thread, lol.

Just so we’re on the same page, let’s use your picture and the two websites that I mentioned (https://imagecolorpicker.com/ and Color Name & Hue – Colblindor) to establish what the actual colors are.

That’s red. Not “1990s pink”. Literally red (HTML/HEX code: #fe0000; RGB code: 254, 0, 0). Color name: red. Hue: red.

That’s what I’d call pink, but Colblindor defines the dominant color as “Psychedelic Purple”, which is literally right next to magenta on the color spectrum. So, if not the exact same shade as the one in my pictures, the closest approximation you’ll get.

Now, here are my latest HDR pics from Fallen Order, with full HDR luminance enabled, 1499 peak white and 276 paper white:

If I’m not supposed to see any pink in Max-Local-Y, and yellow in Exposure, then, the picture is all wrong, even with the “correct” settings. :confused:

Stop color picking HDR → SDR tonemapped colors. How many times do I have to tell you, that’s not what it looks like on screen?

Your screenshots contain none of the eye searing red so bright that it’s hot pink. Your screenshots are nothing but shades of purple.

I give up, just use this:

SpecialK32.7z (6.3 MB) SpecialK64.7z (7.6 MB)

It should be obvious what you need to do when you see that… or in your case, don’t see it, because you never had any hot pink pixels on your screen to begin with.

Calibration Guide Revision Underway

I am overhauling the calibration guide in preparation for the release of SK 0.11.1, please see the title post for the latest test release and let me know if what is written so far needs clarification.

1 Like

So far it’s fine

What are the 2 main “fake” colors for? the avg. and the local one? I don’t completely understand those… and the color cycling in those should that be gone? or only in the local one? and Sorry to say to me in those video’s the “pink” really looks red to me… pink to me looks more like “magenta” even though I know that is more on the purple side… shouldn’t it be more like “white people skin” colored (no racism intended, just couldn’t think of a better example)?

Yes, the cycling color indicates brightness/colors outside the range of your monitor.

It’s acceptable for color cycling pixels to show up in average luminance view, but generally best if less than half your screen is color cycling.

It’s never acceptable for color cycling to show up in local luminance view, because that’s too bright for your display to process without re-tonemapping the image.

Local luminance limits are often 2x as high as average luminance, but the display can only reach those levels across 10% of the screen at once.

BTW, if you watch the Digital Foundry video and see the colors I originally used for the Luminance Heatmap, the description may make a bit more sense.

It was bands of pure red, pure green and pure blue at SDR brightness levels. Pixels that were out-of-range were red at 100% max display luminance. When you see a red pixel that bright contrasted against one at SDR level, it appears hot pink. You can even see this in a photo another user captured several posts back.

Another thing I find quite annoying with SpecialK is that you have controller vibration turned @default settings for the UI. It keeps scaring the crap out of me because the spot where my controller rests is not where I am looking, so clicking and having it buzz is scary.

And I wanted to add another issue: Call of Duty Ghosts seems to black screen if you turn on HDR… Tried all HDR settings but can’t get it fixed. ALT-Tabbing out and in again shows the screen but it keeps locking. It does accept the hot key to open SpecialK but to actually see it I have to alt-tab in and out again but it keeps locking at 0fps I guess…

Hi, so I see the hot pink in game, the goal is to eliminate that as much as possible?

Let’s forget I ever wrote anything about a solid color :slight_smile:

Use the discussion on HDR visualization in that Wiki article, as well as the linked download.

Take a look here, what should I adjust

Nothing, if those were out-of-range, they’d be cycling between pure red, green, blue, black and white. Magenta and cyan are none of those things :slight_smile:

So I have Nier automatica with FAR. How would I go about updating it with the latest version? If i recall FAR is required for a litany of mods to work.

FAR is an embedded part of Special K. Just perform a local install of SK and overwrite the existing FAR and you’re done.