Is there a "scanline sync" feature or a way to emulate it?

So RTSS has this scanline sync feature that syncs up fps limit to the monitor’s refresh rate, and it works much better for me than limiting the fps to 120 (for 120hz) because with scanline sync I can adjust the tearline and basically get rid of it without having vsync on. Is there such an equivalent for special k? Or some way to tweak the settings to give the same affect?

Kaldaien said this on Steam:

That’s fundamentally incompatible with flip model. Tearing in flip model is an entirely different kind of artifact. There wouldn’t be much benefit to scanline sync either way, though. My framerate limiter in flip model is capable of starting a new frame without causing any waiting. It’s basically VSYNC without the penalties of VSYNC. Scanline sync would only be helpful in fullscreen exclusive mode, and I don’t see any reason to support that.

So there’s no way to get rid of a tearline with special k other than enabling vsync?

Flip Model runs in Borderless Windowed mode, which already has V-Sync enabled no matter what you set it to anywhere else. There won’t be any tearing.

Flip Model + Borderless Windowed > Exclusive Fullscreen

That’s if you have the dwm enabled, I’ve got it disabled though.

Does special k remove the input latency introduced by dwm?

Yes, special K with flip model has better latency than exclusive fullscreen.

Try the version linked here and test with the new low latency mode in the framerate limiter

I did some tests and the input lag is the same if not worse than with RTSS, even with the input lag mode. Also, it doesn’t bypass dwm’s latency overhead at all, so it’s still better to play with dwm off, or in exclusive fullscreen wherein hopefully it will disable the dwm, but in the case with special k, I am unable to adjust the tearline like I can with rtss.

I am on windows 8.1 though.

DXGI_SWAP_EFFECT_FLIP_DISCARD was introduced with Windows 10. Windows 8.1 is still limited to at best using DXGI_SWAP_EFFECT_FLIP_SEQUENTIAL, which I guess might not be as performant as flip discard.

Special K basically makes use of the very latest features of Windows 10 to enable low latency in window mode.

It’s actually DWM Tearing that distinguishes Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 here.

Setting Presentation Interval to 0 in Windows 8.1 does not disable VSYNC in windowed mode. The ability to turn VSYNC off in windowed mode was added in Windows 10 Creator’s Update.