I need some help how do i run SpecialK?

There was a guide here for this game
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/i5sdhy/specialk_for_horizon_zero_dawn_better_framepacing/?ref=share&ref_source=embed&utm_content=body&utm_medium=post_embed&utm_name=6abd4bdff58d4c8bbfd8a0ea0b0e5363&utm_source=embedly&utm_term=i5sdhy

But when i try to run this [VisualCppRedist_AIO_x86_x64_33.zip] it just meses up windows 10 and also what i have already installed Visual C++ packeges from driver updater already installed.

when i got to run SpecialK app i see the icon pop up taskbar but then it closes. So i’m doing something wrong if anybody can help please. Thank you all. Nice forum i like it

-Honestly all i did was make a new folder in my documents called “My Mods” and another folder inside it called “SpecialK”.
-I pressed the Download button in this website at the top and installed a zip file.
-I unzipped it inside “SpecialK” folder which is in My Documents/My Mods .
-Then i clicked on the SKIF.exe and a program runs, then you click Global Injection and press “Start Service”
-Then run a game and done, atleast thats how it worked for me.
Didn’t really need any visual C+ and stuff. I think that must be only for windows 7 or something but not sure, i’m not a programmer, just saying what i did for it to run for me on my windows 10.

1 Like

Thanks i will try that let you know should work for me then thanks again

Alright, will wait for the results.

well it didn’t work the icon pop’d up but then closes

Hm, did you try run it as administrator? If that still closes the icon, try restarting your PC, also be sure to use the zip file from the download up here and not a downloaded file from another website.

I did that still don’t work still the same

Well i’m not sure, i hope an admin can help you, i just did that stuff and worked for me, maybe you downloaded something that messed up the pc or something? idk.

what visual C+ stuff do you have all can you tell me what the version numbers are? you have to have them because the app doesn’t start with out them it gives me error without them.

Download that file and extract the contents of the Local folder from the archive to the game folder, and that should hopefully do the trick.

So you don’t have to use SKIF at all nor global injection.

1 Like

OK COOL! But how come SKIF isn’t opening? for me

i copied that .dll file to my install folder!!! Did i do it right whats the instructions?

If you copied dxgi.dll and dxgi.ini over to the game folder then you did it right, and Special K should be installed in the game.

Download that file and extract the contents of the Local folder from the archive to the game folder, and that should hopefully do the trick.

thats what you said? But takes me to another page no files

The linked webpage, Horizon Zero Dawn Special K configuration files - Unofficial patches - PCGamingWiki PCGW Community, have a big green download button with the text “Download this file” on it.

Click on it to download the file.

Yep i clicked on the wrong link. Thanks how did i miss that :relaxed:

and Special K should be installed in the game. What do you mean by this?

I’m not sure I understand… This thread is about how you get Special K into Horizon: Zero Dawn, no? Performing the mentioned steps (extracting the local folder to the game folder so that dxgi.dll and dxgi.ini resides in the same folder as HorizonZeroDawn.exe) is all that’s needed to get Special K installed and loaded when launching the game.

So if the intention was to use Special K for Horizon: Zero Dawn, that is how you achieve it. The config file that archive comes with is preconfigured for a 60 FPS cap. If you want it lower you have to open dxgi.ini and change TargetFPS into another value.

If you copied dxgi.dll and dxgi.ini over to the game folder then you did it right, and Special K should be installed in the game.

You have me lost. and Special K should be installed in the game. What do you mean? There is Global folder and local folder, Do i take both files out of there folders and copy them to the game folder or paste the folders in the game folder?