How to install special k on non-steam game without having steam open or adding to steam list?

Is there a way to install a special K for a specific game that isn’t on steam and without the option of having to add it to add a non-steam game to your steam library or having steam open at all?

Check the wiki link at the top, and the section on a local (game-specific) installation.

I’m stuck on the global injection part, how do I do that? How do I start it? I tried going through the installation readme file, copied the files to the documents area it says, and double clicked on the .exe, but nothing happens? Does it start some sort of service or something? Anyway, I try and open a game to make sure it works or not, I try the ctrl + shift + tab and ctrl + shift + backspace to open the console but nothing happens?

No need to do install global injection – just follow the Manually install local wrapper DLLs instructions of the Local (game-specific) section.

I managed to get it to work, but it doesn’t work for my video player, is there a way to make it work for mpv player? RTSS works with it, and even reshade works with mpv, so I was hoping to use special k with it to help stabalise the frame time better as it could be a bit better under RTSS.
I tried all the different .dll names that the section suggested, both for the 64 one and 32 one, but they don’t register the window popup.

Media players in general tend to be or otherwise act in ways that makes them incompatible with Special K.

MPV is one of those, and while I believe I might’ve gotten Special K to work in it in the past, that was years ago and I have no idea what specific version of either that I used. Testing the latest versions of both out now, I sadly can’t find a combination that works.

Their nature, as I understand it, also means that the pacing of individual frames is much less important than for games. Modern media players nowadays prepare 8 or so frames in advance, and then simply swaps in the next frame appropriately during the large window that the media player have.

This basically means that as long as the media player’s own internal statistics meters doesn’t show any dropped frames, you have nothing to worry about.

If you’re using a mismatched refresh rate (e.g. playing back 24 FPS movie on a 60 Hz display), you’ll occasionally (as in, once every 5 or 10 minutes or so) get a duplicate frame, but that’s about it, and it’s also nothing that the average user ever needs to worry about.

Alright, thanks for your time.