Horizon: Zero Dawn

I just updated to the Oct 9 SKIF, delete the old dxgi.ini & dll, no other config settings required aside from the target framerate , correct ?

Yup, that sounds about right.

1 Like

So for right now we completely forgo using SKIF and only use the standalone (the one dropped directly into the game folder)? Or will this change as SKIF gets further updated? This is my first time really diving into using Special K, as I have noticed the game runs better using it. I’m just a little confused because early on it says to use SKIF but now there seems to be a change, and I am wondering why and am a little confused what to do (before I was using Skif exclusively). Thank you again for everything you have done to make games better!

The recent builds of SpecialK really changed things up, but I haven’t seen any updated config for this game.

is it still necessary to edit specialK.ini with the new version??

With these newest versions you have only edit less like TargetFPS and deactivating APIs:

or?

EDIT:
If you want individual & best performance you have to edit some options in dxgi.ini after first game run this file was created.

Those versions refer to Special K’s HDR related features in DirectX 11. As Horizon is a DirectX 12 game, they won’t be available.

1 Like

Still really confused on what I need to change in the INI file on the new release of Special K.

Everytime I set the ShowEula to false value and API LastKnown to 64 they get back to true and 128 values no matter what.

Am I doing something wrong and I neeed to tweak other options? I’m a bit lost, would really appreciate some help if it’s not much to ask

LastKnown shouldn’t matter, 64 would be D3D11 128 would be D3D12 (64-bits) so that should be correct.
EULA’s going to revert unless you have the EULA agreed to in the OSD and that won’t show because the OSD doesn’t display for D3D12 :slight_smile:

C:\Users\jonas\Documents\My Mods\SpecialK\Profiles\AppCache

Something like:

C:\Users\jonas\Documents\My Mods\SpecialK\Profiles\AppCache\Horizon Zero Dawn\SpecialK.AppCache

That’s in plain text so the contents would be something like this:

But with paths, names and the app-id for Horizon Zero Dawn.
I tend to pre-apply these to ensure the EULA isn’t the first thing that pops up when you open SpecialK’s OSD in games that have problems and you deadlock the mouse or keyboard input and have to alt-F4 but since the menu isn’t quite functional it’s a non-issue. :slight_smile:

D3D11 set to false and I think that’s all you strictly require I’ve been toying with the back buffers and values and it didn’t crash either but turns out I had set the game to VSync false and that overrode SpecialK’s setting for it so it wasn’t quite properly set up for flip model and flip discard as a result. :slight_smile:
(Kaldaien mentions setting a higher value would cause a crash on startup otherwise that might have been useful for a higher framerate cap and improving smoothness at the expense of a bit more VRAM usage.)

Dam, thank you very much for the detailed answer my guy! Didn’t know that about the EULA.

So in a nutshell, I should just leave the other configs on the INI on their default values as they come with the program right?

Why does Special K add black borders around the game? It happens in both borderless and fullscreen.

Your Special K resolution settings might mismatch with the game’s. Also, a recent update added the ability to choose between black bars and blurring the edges in some scenes (menu included) when the game’s not run in a 16:9 aspect ratio. Double check those settings :slight_smile:

Ewwww, really? Like, the kind of blurring CNN does when playing cell phone video? People actually want that? :stuck_out_tongue:

That was the default option, actually. The black bars is the new option as people complained about the blurry option.

That said, over on PCGW a proper fix that removes both types of the bar also exists, and gives proper 21:9 perspective in cutscenes. Though it does showcase some “behind the scene” stuff that’s not intended in some cutscenes.

I don’t think anything’s mismatched or maybe i’m not looking at the right setting. I’m using special k’s override at 1920x1080. The blacks borders show ingame too, not just the menu.

Here’s the ini file: https://pastebin.com/raw/iyjJu7UQ

I remember this happening with Monster Hunter World too. Stopped using SK when Iceborne released.

newbie here.i dont know how to use special k mod.pls help :frowning:

With recent patches you don’t need it anymore. Just run the game without it

you mean Horizon zero dawn patch 1.07 or special k?

Special K is incapable of adding anything to the game, it cannot render in D3D12. The engine’s confused about something. But this is the same engine that was trying to do HDR with an 8-bit color framebuffer, so confusion is its middlename.

The game itself is fine on its own nowadays after all of their patches. It’s possible that SK might still provide slightly better frame pacing, but it’s not a critical enough difference to make SK essential.