Ghostrunner (DirectX 12 version)

Ghostrunner can run in either DirectX 11 or 12. The Epic Games Store version of the game still doesn’t support exclusive full screen, and for ray tracing, DX12 is required (which is borderless windowed by its very nature).

The in-game FPS limiter isn’t very good, as with most UE4 titles (at least in my experience), producing very unstable frame times. For that reason, I’m trying to use SK to limit the FPS - which, from what I’ve read, is possible in DX12, even if there’s no GUI and changes have to be made directly to the INI.

I’ve successfully added the Epic Games folder to the Global whitelist, and also created a folder for the game under Profiles. Starting the global injection and then the game creates an INI file for it automatically.

I’ve tried copying Horizon: Zero Dawn settings to that file, but, with those, Ghostrunner doesn’t even start (immediately shows as “Not responding” in Task Manager). Changing just the TargetFPS and associated settings have no effect in-game - with VSync off and an unlimited frame rate set in the game’s settings, the FPS still goes to the maximum refresh rate, and sometimes even a frame above.

If someone can help me to get the frame rate limiter working for the DX12 version of the game, it’d be much appreciated. Also, I have a G-Sync panel (LG OLED C9), and I know it’s recommended to enable VSync (either in-game or at the driver level), along with an FPS cap, but I’m not sure what’s the correct approach when using SK. Is the FPS limiter enough, or should I still force VSync on?

Thanks in advance!

SK’s not compatible with all D3D12 games. It’s been tested with only a handful in fact. I have an RTX GPU, but don’t care about RayTracing, or I’d probably have updated it work with D3D12 by now.

As for G-Sync… yes, you want V-Sync enabled unless you like screen tearing when you hit your refresh rate :slight_smile: You either need G-Sync + V-Sync or G-Sync + a Framerate Limiter (set below refresh rate) to keep V-Sync irrelevant.

The second your framerate hits >= ~Refresh Rate - 3 frames, screen tearing will start to happen unless V-Sync is enabled.

Laughably, I never use G-Sync either :stuck_out_tongue: I’m full of surprises, I guess. I have an RTX GPU and G-Sync screens, I never use them for those purposes.

Enabling G-Sync on an OLED prevents its from using Black Frame Insertion, so that creates a blurrier image, and I’d rather not deal with that. Motion clarity is a huge part of why I own OLEDs, so enabling G-Sync and giving that up is crazy to me.

1 Like

With that monitor I’d say play it in DX11 with HDR enabled through SK. I friggin love the way some of the digital scenes in this game pops in HDR.

1 Like

You need to enable VSYNC on gsync no matter what, you get tearing at any fps.

1 Like

I have absolutely butter smooth 142 fps (my fps cap so gsync stays enabled) in this game, using DX12 Borderless. RTX is not worth it in this game imo.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I figured it must’ve been some kind of incompatibility. But if I want to test the FPS limiter with other DX12 titles on my own, what kind of parameters do I have to set, on the INI file? Like, the bare minimum to cap the frame rate and avoid most compatibility issues, as SK’s frame limiter produces the most stable frame times.

As for G-Sync, I was asking specifically about SK, if there’s an option to force VSync through it, or if still has to be done either at the driver level or in-game. :slight_smile:

P.S.: Still have to experiment with HDR using SK. Any suggestions/recommendations, settings-wise, for the C9?

V-Sync is v-sync no matter where you force — check the linked wiki page on top for how to force it through SK.

As to HDR on C9, that’s all dependent on the game and monitor — only another C9 owner of the exact same game can say what HDR settings they found produce the best on that specific monitor in that specific game.

1 Like

Ah, fantastic, SK can force it. But is there a way to do it in-game, via the GUI, for the games that support it (DX11), or do I have to set the PresentationInterval parameter for all titles?

As for HDR, I believe Kal posted some guidelines for HGiG in another thread, I’ll make sure to give that a read.

V-Sync (Presentation Interval) can be found in the in-game control panel below SwapChain Management:

1 Like

Oh, right, it’s directly underneath flip model presentation. Thanks for pointing it out for me, Aemony.

Also, you mentioned in the other thread that enabling flip model is enough for G-Sync/VRR, but does that mean that changing the backbuffer count and maximum latency have no impact when VRR is engaged?

I’ve always used 4 and 5, respectively, for those settings, as to minimize input latency. Now, I’m not sure if it’s been a placebo effect since upgrading to a G-Sync-compatible panel. :laughing:

In general, it has no impact except for in GPU-bound areas, I believe, as VRR always displays the last rendered frame.

I keep mine on 4 / 5 as well though just to ensure there’s additional headroom in terms of buffers if a situation would occur where frames could queue up, to ensure the most stable framepacing, but if I understand Kaldaien correctly it isn’t actually necessary for VRR owners.

If you have a G-Sync monitor then SK’s in-game UI will indicate when G-Sync is active and syncing. You can also confirm through the monitor’s “FPS counter” (in reality refresh rate counter) that VRR is enabled and syncing by changing the FPS limiter of SK on the fly.

1 Like

HDR works in Ghostrunner but for some reason when recorded with nvidias shadowplay video in HDR got messed up colors. And it looked good on tekken 7 and Control with special k

It’s because Unreal Engine screws with NvAPI to turn HDR off. It’s not happy with leaving it in the default setting, it has to go and tell NvAPI to turn things off. ShadowPlay, being part of the NV driver, sees this and thinks HDR is off. It’s quite a silly solution, and it’s never going to be fixed unfortunately, until engines stop using NvAPI for HDR.