Crash inject/texture

Hello all the games crash when i try put texture on inject/texture after 2 sec i hear sound metal gear
i can dump texture but cant put back :S (i always used speacialk to make HD texture from game)i have almost 8 games done with this tools , but now nothing work :frowning:

Are you sure you have the right export settings for the textures you want to inject?

yes i try many option and folder inject/texture or textures after version .10 scanfolder not working so i used 0.10 i can make inject/textures/UI Text heroes etc

but now nothing work :frowning:

Can you list all the games that arenā€™t working for you? And what are you using to export to DDS format?

fairy tail , atelier ryza ,atelier dusk , Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana

all this game was working 1 month ago

i try many dxt 1 to 7

Which version of SK are you using right now, and do you remember which version you were using when they worked?

Have you also enabled ā€œauto-generate mipmapsā€?

no i never used generate mipmaps

i used 0.9.10 last version have the dump option (auto) (folder work)
i used 10.1 (screenshot and folder work)
i used 11.0.45 (screenshot work ) not folder scan better compatibility

i know tools was working great 1 month ago ā€¦nvidia driver ?? is the problem maybe?

Have you set ā€œDumpOnFirstLoadā€ to false when injecting textures?

Might be your Special K settings that are different between versions. Can you share your SpecialK.ini file?

I found! on fullscreen crasha fter like 2 sec but in borderless fullscreen not crash omg so happy i can mod texture now Thx for your patience!

You should do everything in borderless fullscreen :slight_smile:

Especially if itā€™s a D3D11 game, setup Special Kā€™s Flip Model Swapchain in a D3D11 game and itā€™s performance magic.

Thx for your work!!!

Iā€™ve been wondering, is there any difference between Fullscreen Optimizations and Borderless Fullscreen when it comes to Flip Model? My understanding is that FSO turns FS into BFS essentially? Or do I need to completely swap to using BFS everywhere no matter what?

There are still edge cases where Fullscreen Optimization doesnā€™t work (e.g. the desktop is running at one refresh rate and the game wants another).

But for most cases, if the DWMā€™s format / resolution matches the gameā€™s requested Fullscreen Exclusive settings, FSO turns it into a borderless flip model window. It goes one step further than that and uses Flip Discard, which allows push notifications from the taskbar to actually pop up during fullscreen gameplay :slight_smile:

I rarely ever use Fullscreen Exclusive, since my desktop refresh rate is the same rate I want to play my games at. Thereā€™s no reason to pay an extra penalty every time I switch applications. On Windows 7 things are different, but Windows 8.1+ can draw just as efficiently to a fullscreen window as it can a fullscreen exclusive application.

1 Like

Depends on whether you actually enable flip model using Special K or not :slight_smile:

Basically Windows 10 have various display modes for games:

• Fullscreen Exclusive (FSE) - this is the legacy mode used for older games where the game takes ā€˜ownershipā€™ of the monitor and outputs directly to it.

• Borderless Fullscreen (or one of its many variations of the name) - This is a display mode where the game can either present its content using:

• Bitblt - This is the legacy presentation model that incurs a latency loss and whatnot as DWM sits between the output from the game and the monitor and which 95% or more of all games makes use of.
    • Flip - This is the modern presentation model that (when resolutions and whatnot matches) basically bypasses DWM to achieve the least possible input latency and whatnot.
  • It bares to mention how ā€œborderless fullscreenā€ mode is typically just a regular window without borders and maximized (where ā€œfullscreenā€ comes from). In other words ā€“ barring the maximized nature of it, it is essentially just a regular ā€œwindowā€ mode at its core.

• Fullscreen Optimizations (FSO) in Windows 10 takes games running in fullscreen exclusive (FSE) mode and turns them into a pseudo-borderless fullscreen mode with flip model.

• In earlier versions of Windows 10 (v1607-1709), the operating systemā€™s ā€œfullscreen optimizationsā€ actually promoted regular borderless window modes to flip model as well; same as Special K does today. However Microsoft had to disable that feature due to issues caused in some games.
  • Special K takes games running in borderless window mode (typically those that presents using the legacy ā€˜bitbltā€™ presentation model) and turns those into using flip model instead.

So if you want quick Alt+Tab today with the best possible performance and lowest latency you basically have two options: either use fullscreen exclusive mode combined with Windows 10ā€™s fullscreen optimizations (FSO), or use borderless window mode and use Special Kā€™s flip model override.

At the end of the day youā€™ll end up with nearly the same exact experience. The main difference between the two is that Special Kā€™s override is typically ā€œmore transparentā€ since its performed from within the game itself. Windows 10ā€™s fullscreen optimizations basically hijack and applies its overrides at the OS level, which has various consequences to the user experience.

For example where Special Kā€™s flip model override would result in basically a ā€œno nonsenseā€ experience with no fuzz where the game window remains present and easily interactable on the screen even when it doesnā€™t have focus, Windows 10ā€™s fullscreen optimizations might result in the game minimizing when focus is lost, or behaving weird when losing/gaining focus or on Alt+Tab and whatnot.

Nowadays I never bother with either fullscreen exclusive mode nor Windows 10ā€™s fullscreen optimizations. I always configure games to run in borderless mode (which like 95% of all makes use of the legacy bitblt presentation mode) and then use Special K to override and add proper flip model to the game.

3 Likes

A few titles also have this thing with borderless display mode and borderless full screen display mode.
Pretty sure the difference is that one maximizes the display mode over the entire screen and the other is what SpecialK can do by just removing the window borders though it does still cover the entire screen if the desktop resolution is used.

Every now and again Windows 10 also gets a whoops and the start-menu will be on top but I believe Microsoft has finally almost entirely managed to correct this little apps bad behavior and you no longer get squished everything thanks to a few pixels of problems or something around.
(Then an entire fun process around DPI scaling and window behavior and actually DPI aware or not. ~ )
(But this is also getting much better though not perfect.)