Cold Steel III texture to dds name conversion

How do you actually convert a Falcom 3D model and texture dumps.md · GitHub texture dump name into special_k dds format?

I have absolutely no idea :slight_smile:

The format is not generally a problem, it is the computed hash. Manually poking around in the D3D11 Render Mod Toolkit is probably the only way to find these names, and that’s not intuitive for anyone except the person who originally modified the texture.

Was a bit afraid of that. Easiest to dump from special K itself? Would that preserve the hash I assume?

Yes, dumping textures from within Special K is pretty straightforward.

The Render Mod Toolkit will flash any object that uses the selected texture on/off and you can very easily locate textures that interest you by using the [ and ] keys.

Matching textures dumped using other software, however, is like finding a needle in a haystack. I don’t think a human can visually do that for anything but solid colors.

Is there a way to dump all the textures at one go, apart from autodump, which does not seem to work in the case of this game. (Get stuck dumping intros?)

I’m not sure why you would actually want this? That would just produce a ton of random unsorted textures on disk that you would have to manually inspect.

I used to support dumping every single texture at load, but have not tested it since SK got its in-game UI for D3D9/11. It is more or less obsolete with the available in-game tools.

When I created my translation matrix for FAR to convert Resorep mods to FAR mods, I basically dumped any and all textures with both tools separately while I redid the same run twice (once with Resorep and once with FAR). After that, it was just a matter of matching one name to another where the checksum matched (which luckily they did).

It allowed me to then rename Resorep mods from the Resorep name over to the name of the FAR file wi the same checksum, and ergo I had a way to convert mods.

But that approach only works if you’re a) able to dump basically all files using both tools, and b) have another way to match the files to one another (in my case by using the checksum).