Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

I… can’t tell there’s an issue? :smiley:

Occasionally I might think that the overlay looks a bit off, but I can never tell for certain whether its Special K or I’m just imagining or misremembering things as I move too often between HDR and SDR modes.

It might be tied to me having used HDR for the game initially before I changed back to SDR ?

But then I can’t really tell what the issue would be in the screenshot, so… :grin:

This is my config for that game: SpecialK.ini (4.8 KB)

Btw, just to recap: global injection + the below launch parameters are necessary to get SK in the game. You’ll still get a “Easy Anti-Cheat warning is disabled, trolololol” warning in the main menu of the game, but that’s about it:

-eac_launcher -nosplash

The game is also one of those that has windowed borderless mode and fullscreen borderless mode so maybe that’s a issue with the earlier bit about what Kaldaien mentioned though neither of these two should be fullscreen exclusive display mode.

EDIT: It’s I think windowed borderless doesn’t stretch or fit over the entire screen and fullscreen does though if the display resolution is native then it shouldn’t matter too much here.
(Pretty sure both also hide the task bar and it doesn’t pop up and squish the window a bit by being on top.)

EDIT: Gigabyte Ethernet would be nice, hardware in the area doesn’t support it though and the cost is still pretty hefty although the current ISP pricing increases are already pretty close to ADSL2+ levels all those years ago. :smiley:
(Bit more to go and then it’ll rival satellite pricing too.)

Okay… thanks a bunch for testing this stuff. I think it’s all fixed now :slight_smile:

SpecialK32.7z (6.3 MB) SpecialK64.7z (7.6 MB)

I’m useless without sleep, lol.

1 Like

Suppose the pandemic isn’t helping either for that issue and medical stuff not that I know much on the subject.

…Other than the brain going into trim mode to remove all the useful things learned during the day and keep the funny and weird bits. :stuck_out_tongue:

Suppose it’s actually a good thing though that some 99% of all dreams are also forgotten while waking up.

Unless it’s that weird half-awake, half-dreaming state.

Huzzah!

“Minimal Latency” Mode working as designed after the embarrassing problems you guys helped me find :stuck_out_tongue:

For context, without framerate limiting, input latency averages around 110 ms. This is flipping insane (pun intended).

Nonetheless, that latency debug menu is still coming to Special K’s Framerate Limiter widget.

I’ll be getting some new toys to aid in the development of it. There will be a lot fewer screenshots of CapFrameX when I finish that work, lol.

Here are tests done @ 100 FPS, and I fell out of my chair and broke it :wink:

CapFrameX Report:

Special(K) Report.7z (11.9 KB)

Not even worth distributing screenshots for that, the results need to be seen in person to be believed. And I need validation of these results, because if that’s repeatable in other games then Reflex is irrelevant and Special K should be a vendor agnostic path to frame pacing bliss.

Final(?) Update:

NVIDIA’s driver-based limiter has been dethroned (caveats apply)

Since conventional wisdom is that the driver-based framerate limiting has the lowest input latency, let’s challenge that wisdom.

Special K’s almost matching NVIDIA? … about that.

The NVIDIA limiter’s capable of slightly lower latency than SK, but it only achieves the results in the first screenshot because Special K has done low-level tuning of the game’s swapchain for lower latency. Take SK out of the equation and NVIDIA’s actually -not- looking very competitive.

To round things out, here’s RTSS with the same exact low-level SwapChain tune that dramatically assisted the NVIDIA driver.

Special K + NVIDIA actually produces something impressive, showing that combining framerate limiters isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

And to really screw with everyone’s mind. This is all borderless window, because why not? Aside from RTSS most software responds favorably when given an optimized windowed swapchain and can be made to perform indistinguishibly from fullscreen exclusive.

1 Like

Should be an easy driver fix though, could also just cap the boost speed so it’s not as opportunistic.

EDIT: Or at least I expect the boost algorithm and all sorts of parameters are tweakable also on NVIDIA, AMD tinkers with their system for this every couple of drivers though the bigger difference is pre-Adrenaline 2020 compared to after.
(Navi10 at least, bit more conservative in how it boosts though with enough power and good temps it’s still possible to hit above 2100 Mhz even with the newer drivers.)

Wonder what the core cause is though but then there’s usually a bit of a stop or a ramp up where there’s diminishing returns so sustained 2.0+ Ghz boost speeds might just be too much for some of these GPU’s without additional power or a lowered temperature and even then binning might factor in too for stability.

Thought most of the GPU’s boosted to around 1850 - 1900 though (But still a bit past the 1750 something target speeds.) with some of the Founder GPU’s likely due to binning quality hitting above this.

Hmm guess a few of the third party cards can also do it then. :slight_smile:

Who wrote this BTW? :wink:

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Special_K#Frame_rate_limiter

… potentially improving frame pacing and timing consistency at the loss of a somewhat lower averaged FPS.

Unless we’re talking lowering the average to precisely the rate the user requested, there’s no lowering. Repeated analysis shows that when Special K does framerate limiting, every conceivable metric moves in the correct direction :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t really know how to describe Special K’s framerate limiter, because on paper, yeah… there should be some kind of trade-off happening when you turn on framerate limiting. In practice, it somehow pulls off latency improvement, frametime consistency improvement, hitch elimination and reduced CPU load at the same time.

Frame doctor maybe? In reality, you turn the limit on, SK manages the health of your frames and nothing bad happens. No stuttering like some competing products, no excessive CPU usage, no loss in avg. framerate, nothing but a clean(er) bill of health than before you turned the limit on.

^^^^ When it’s working correctly, of course :stuck_out_tongue:

• We did see not more than 4 or 5 posts back what happens when SK’s framerate limiter is broken. It shouldn’t be necessary to explain that a broken product might do something undesirable.

If it works this well through a third party software then sans the flip model override which I see as a bit too specialized for it couldn’t this work from the display driver directly.

Say NVIDIA having a V4 update to their existing V3 framerate limiter and it’s internals for some of these gains.

Mostly thinking randomly here (So the usual then.) suppose for full effect some of the D3D or DXGI overrides would be most useful and then it’d be from a third party software.

EDIT: Heh turning ULL or ultra low latency into ALL or always low latency.
(When combined with a FPS limiter and if the game engine is doing stuff at least OK-ish to decently well regarding CPU and GPU utilization ha ha.)

EDIT: Hmm more like perhaps if you can get all these benefits and limited drawbacks why wouldn’t that be the standard or how to say.

Well NVIDIA might be attempting this through a few different methods like FLEX (Game specific though with it’s SDK and for now used in two games only I think.) in addition to their updates to framerate capping and latency lowering methods.

I think it’s based on that issue mentioned in the Reddit post comparing frame pacing between SK, RTSS, Nvidia, where something like that was mentioned? Not average in terms of FPS limiting though, but when not capping the FPS? SK was found to have an inherent 2 FPS cost in average FPS when uncapped?

Or something like that anyway?

10/21 release date? WTF?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-geforce-rtx-3090-24gb-gddr6x-pci-express-4-0-strix-graphics-card-black/6432447.p?skuId=6432447

And my good buddy K|NGP|N is nowhere to be found on any store’s listings. No GPU for me, I guess :slight_smile:

I kinda wanted a new one before Watch_Dogs Legion so I could actually play @4K with RTX features on. Even the mighty RTX 2080 Ti K|NGP|N will almost certainly fall flat on its face because RTX was never meant for 20 series cards aside from tech demos…

Wonder if I should just skip it altogether and get an Xbox Series X + Watch_Dogs: Legion as a launch title?

Not sure how much of a downgrade these next generation console games will be on said consoles versus PC.

The NVIDIA store has sold out and many retailers are not listing availability or are using it as a pre-order I think.

EDIT: From.

EDIT: NVIDIA store might have been the second batch of 3080 FE’s.

Well, the new 3090s were in stock in Swedish retailers for about 15 minutes, and then they were not…

RTX 30 series 2021 it looks more and more like…

Faster than I expected but then availability was also extremely limited even with the cards near or above double the price of the 3080 GPU models now.

Been on the phone for a while but I suppose there’s little point in checking it’s probably going to be a while before a larger supply can be restocked so yeah October - November for more common availability possibly slipping to early 2021 especially as demand for NVIDIA GPU’s are a big thing and now the 900, 1000 and 2000 series can all upgrade with even the 3070’s providing a solid boost at a more affordable price.
(Whenever those cards will be in stock that is.)

Lengthy phone calls from parents hah well mom tends to worry and apparently the Covid situation has changed a bit.
She tends to worry a bit, suppose that means me and my sister is getting another decades worth of disinfectant and general supplies of that nature.

Wonder how bad it really is, sounded like some press conference was happening but it could just be preparation for Autumn and Winter and general advice and cautionary measures.

Nice.

(Via ResetEra)

EDIT: Bleakness and underwear.

EDIT:

And then that in-between SKU has to be the 3070S

@Kaldaien Thanks working good now, now lo lantecy and mininum works greats, in previous version in introduced stuttering in my case.
BTW tried RDR2 from epic store, but with specialk rockstar games fails to verify game, thats wierd.

I still have a lot of compatibility issues with RDR2. I would skip it for now, what little support I did have for Vulkan seems to have broken recently.

I’ve been trying to get Doom Eternal and RDR2 working reliably, but Special K cannot be allowed to inject into those games when they first startup or things break. I need more Vulkan games to test using, but … they don’t exist :slight_smile:

Vulkan games? try Strange brigade. pretty under the radar but its nice

I should clarify – Vulkan games that support HDR. I think I own all 2 of them ever created :slight_smile:

oh thats hard then, sad.jpg. RDR2 runs pretty good, but HDR is pretty underwhelming. and without it I get huge color banding