Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

Yeah been looking into that myself, since they dug down the power cables the lighting is less of a issue but the construction work due to the city including the outer areas like this one growing or getting parts relocated to it has led to a few … unscheduled outages. :smiley:

Nothing too severe so far and better than the almost monthly power issues before the old cabling was overhauled but it’s a weakness I need to look into with the current system and ensuring there’s no major problems particularly SSD sensitivity.

EDIT:

Lighting, Lightning.

Well they’re both bright. :smiley:

Stream’s finished, and the prices are sorta surprising - there’s definitely a spot for a 3080 ti

I feel sorry for anyone who brought the 2080 ti recently. Nvidia are even touting 8K gaming as being a thing with DLSS on the 3090.

1 Like

The new line-up is insane. 3070 being slightly faster than 2080 Ti. 3080 blowing 2080 Ti out of the water, and 3090 just :scream:

I’m eagerly awaiting benchmarks, but it’s bascially set in stone that I’ll update – either to 3080 or an outright 3090.

And Jensen didn’t disappoint – I wanted an oven joke and he delivered!

1 Like

Honestly, i wouldn’t blame anyone for not wanting to wait and see what AMD are offering. Ampere seems like a decent value outside of the 3090.

This deserves some attention too

1 Like

Yeah, RTX IO aka Microsoft DirectStorage is just :heart:

Newest consoles haven’t arrived yet and we’re already seeing PCs be capable of a similar technology to lower I/O throughput.

Kaldaien’s patch throughput is quite high too :wink:

Windows Defender is weird… I have “Block on first sight” enabled, which basically blocks files from being executed for a few seconds the first time they’re seen, yet actually performing a manual quick scan of the folder or file does not remove the need for blocking it on “first sight”.

Not a major issue nor does any action needs to be taken, but it’s a minor thing for those of us whom downloads and runs the DLL file or SKIF directly after it was uploaded.

1 Like

Wut

Ah, ■■■■ it… I’ll bite. RTX 3090 it is :stuck_out_tongue:

That beast of a card will meet its match with me and my 4K 120Hz OLED, and all the crazy HDR stuff I’m doing to games. It will beg for mercy, but there is no mercy on the pixel farm. Just dead GPUs and render artifacts; the scars of war.

In fact… I now have 3 4K 120 Hz OLEDs. Let’s blow that card up in flight simulator :crazy_face:

BTW, for those of you who have graciously given the new “Widget Flash” feature a test…

Which do you think sounds more practical?

1. Flash on in response to a keybind, then go invisible after a configurable amount of time
  2. Flash on and stay on as long as keybind is held down?

I’m thinking I overlooked a more useful feature by not handling long key presses as an alternate function.

3070 has 51% more Tf than base 2080 Ti, @ $500

I swear Nvidia is trying to make up for 2020

Btw @Kaldaien dunno if it was mentioned already buuuut

I did say it was worth waiting :wink:

Where can you even upload an 8K video? Will youtube take it and convert it to 4k?

Youtube accepts 8k. Plus the improved bitrate of 8k on Youtube is actually beneficial for 4k panel owners.

Edit: Here’s a nice 8k video :slight_smile:

That one doesn’t expose 8K as an option for me.

This one does though:

That’s really weird, i’m guessing it’s a 60fps related thing (or at least that’s the only difference between the two videos)

Wonder how this will end up being :slight_smile:

1 Like