Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

Tentative CHANGELOG for 0.11.0.46, which I plan to release tomorrow. Auto-update’s still not supported, so you need to know the secret word to get this new version.

• Fixed unsafe exception handling in Remedy’s (Control) SteamAPI code to prevent crashing

• Re-enabled Staging D3D11 Texture Mods

• Added forced Windowed Mode when engaging HDR

• Disabled 11:11:10-bit FP HDR remastering by default

This leaves only 10-bit render passes promoted to full FP16 by default

• HDR widget now defaults to CIE XYZ for In/Out Colorspaces

• HDR widget displays new text explaining DCI-P3 and Rec2020 Colorspaces are for debugging only

RE: Display Gamut Color Primaries Reported by DXGI in Win 10 2004

It apears that Microsoft has changed the DXGI runtime to report a monitor’s SDR EDID values
unless software has changed the output colorspace. This differs from all other versions of
Windows, in that they reported native color gamut even in SDR.

This is both good and bad; it should have coincided an easier method to detect if a display is
HDR even if the desktop is running in SDR and/or an API call to temporarily change the DWM
colorspace.

>> 1 Step Forward, 2 Steps Back ?
1 Like

Anyone know WTF a Kubernetes (sp?) is? Digital Ocean makes it sound as though I could build my own web software to do whatever I want with. Almost seems like it’d be a perfect fit for Workshop, and for getting users to submit crash logs (voluntarily of course). Additionally, uploading builds of Special K to the server and having the server generate the version information instead of me…

does control game works with specialk? I modify the injection white list but it doesnt load

A cluster and software around it ??

Kubernetes.

Hmm well I apparently learned a new word.

Or it’s a company name or product for containerized software.

Huh, Keights.

Kubernetes it’s basically the modern way that major sites and services handles auto-scaling and deploying. By setting up Kubernetes containers that can run independently or in conjunction with another, developers can set up a service that automatically scaled on demand as workload increase.

It’s basically the next major revolution within online services after containers a la Docker started to become popular.

One of the first things PCGamingWiki’s current sysadmin did was convert the whole site and its configuration over the Kubernetes back in 2018 or 2019. It allows the site to more dynamically scale, as well as allows us to automate the deploy of new changes directly through GitLab simply by pushing the latest changes to the Kubernetes cluster using Gitlab CI.

After we moved over to Kubernetes, deploying latest code changes live is fully automated and takes just a few minutes after the relevant commit was pushed to the GitLab repository.

It is actually partially why I recommended GitLab :slight_smile: It’s insane just how many supplement features GitLab provides that might be relevant for enhancing some aspects of the development and deploy of modern web services.

ROTFLMAO…

Cat dragon, cat motorcycle

:cat::dragon: (:cat::dragon:) :cat::motorcycle: (:cat::motorcycle:)

It shows up differently when you open that thread.

Why those exist I could not say.

Isn’t some of that the Microsoft Ninjacat thing?

~ Which I’ve only seen from Donna’s various build tweets and know nothing about otherwise. :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: Though the quoted thing here turns it into a different entity entirely instead of the actual post ones.

:cat::dragon:

EDIT: OK that’s weird.
:cat:

Some 2-in-1 emote thing going on here.

EDIT: These things too not the wallpapered versions above for the actual icons.

Looks like there’s a fair few variants of both, some Windows 10 thing and also part of the insider programs and sticker rewards far as I’ve found so far.

Yeah, I got the cat ninja characters using the Windows 10 emoji keyboard, so it’s not surprising it’s a Microsoft thing :slight_smile:

Love the cat chopping the dragon, a few years ago that might have been seen as Internet Explorer / Edge attacking Mozilla / Netscape, but now both of those products are irrelevant.

On a different note, now I remember why I never got into Control when it launched. I think Wizardry game could possibly be less of a labyrinth than this one, most of my time is spent wandering halls that all look the same.

I need to clear some of those dungeon delver games too eventually. ~

But yeah I heard the games map is only marginally effective and navigation comes from learning the layout and also cues like signs and what not with the effect being that the old house is also somewhat of a thing in itself so navigation is problematic as a in-game explanation for why it’s tough to get through some of the areas.
(Plus complaints on the loading times - console and non-SSD I suppose. - and checkpoint system saving.)

EDIT: Nowadays though GameFAQs and similar resources exist over pen & graph paper and plotting square by square.

Makes some of the older dungeon delver games far more bearable plus it shows just how complicated some of the map designs could get when you have the full layout like that.
(And some impressive work from people who archived and kept actual graph paper maps back in the day ha ha.)

I remember somethin John Romero once said about map design after making the leap from 2.5D in DOOM to 3D in Quake (which he really was not a big part of). Verticality turns the environment into the enemy rather than the intended gameplay :slight_smile: Players get lost when you stack rooms over each other and multiplayer action grinds to a halt.

Modern gamedevs should really take a page.

1 Like

With latest build it works fine for me. But my game runs default at DX11 since I am on AMD GPU and I think only reason game will run DX12 is if you use RTX features ingame.

DirectX 12 might grant you higher performance though.

As to not getting a choice, see the below section on how to solve that:

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Control#No_choice_of_DirectX_12

Whitboard arrived, now I’m wishing I had gotten a digital one because re-creating any sketches in Visio is time consuming :stuck_out_tongue:

I do have a tablet with a stylus, which might make the process a little less painful.

Whatever the case, there will be pretty diagrams that take a lot of time to create accompanying the series on framerate limiting. This better be worth the trouble :wink:

Hmm But I would lose HDR support that I have running in Control though. But in hindsight the reshades I use actually were made for non HDR application. So I might as well drop the HDR implementation then.

Isn’t it like a 2% performance difference when using dx12 for Navi? At least based on comparisons I remember. You won’t even notice a difference in performance between the two APIs, but I can check again to be sure.

And depending on the Reshade preset, it might not be difficult to port or make similar settings in unofficial reshade which supports HDR.

Does AMD have an equivalent feature to NVIDIA FastSync yet? I want to include this concept in my discussion of VSYNC, but need to know I’m not alienating some portion of the PC gaming market discussing a feature they have never heard of or fiddled with.

This actually sounds like a cool feature, hopefully means it’s usable across existing PC games

Enhanced sync?

I’m seeing a lot of marketing fluff on that topic, but nothing concrete that says to me it’s the same thing as FastSync :frowning:

I’d expect “buffer flip” to be in the description of anything equivalent to FastSync, but all I’m reading is “this reduces input latency, blah blah blah.” :stuck_out_tongue: