Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

If your use case is only gaming, 20GB is just a way to burn extra money, 10GB is more than plenty even for next gen. Remember, that even though PS5 and XSX have 16GB, only 13.5 of that is usable for games, and it is shared with the CPU.

Even Flight Simulator 2020, if you run at 4k, all settings maxed out, it uses only 8GB of VRAM over even New York City. The number in rivatuner is higher, as it will cache as much of the spare VRAM as it has, but it wont increase performance. You can turn on the developer frame rate overlay, and see the real number of the VRAM it is using.

Needs a ton of polish, but this is something that should have been written years ago :slight_smile: I just worry that with the pace of development and planned integration with Microsoft Store and Epic Game Store, I’m going to have to re-write this a few times.

Yeah, why do you think I have to ask you a million questions how your software works :rofl:, and I am the 0.05% of your users, I’ve followed the development for at least 3 years now, I read technical documents and whitepapers for fun, and I still feel like I lack a grasp of what each setting really does.

I’ve been experiencing connection issues here?

I’m going to have to disagree there. Some games are already hovering around 8gb at 4k according to SK (and i haven’t tried FFS20). Of course, faster ram from these next gen GPUs will help, but if you always aim for 4k res, with max texture settings that may often exceed what next-gen consoles use in some games, more ram will come in handy. Many next gen games will push texture quality and asset variety on screen vs todays games, which will all contribute to more vram being required.

It’s unlikely all next-gen games on consoles will reach a native 4k target too, plus they may use lower LODs. That’s vram usage reduced on consoles. We’re definitely going to see some reconstruction methods used on consoles to reach that 4k target. There’s also the “using SSD as ram” situation on consoles, i don’t know if anyone knows how that’s going to pan out. Might prove useless or it might prove really useful for consoles, we’ll have to see - and no i’m pretty sure it’s not the same as pagefile.

Regardless of next gen consoles, we’ve had games eating up more and more vram over the course of this gen, the trend will continue over the years. Next gen consoles will bump things up faster with a much better base spec to make games for. The console spec doesn’t even tell the full story, you can compare loads of games on pc vs consoles. The sweet spot right now for 1080p gaming in Windows 10 is arguably a 6gb GPU and 16gb of desktop ram, when consoles are 8gb of combined ram with mobile hard drives. Of course, you could prob match console settings and performance with 2gb/3gb GPUs and 8gb of desktop ram, but you’ll be dropping the resolution and settings often and sometimes severely.

We all have. The network the forums are hosted on went tits up for a while. The routing situation seems fixed, but then the server itself was behaving weird and good old unplug it and plug it back in, the universal troubleshooting step, seems to have fixed thing.

Speaking of RTSS, I just realised that it has the highest impact on CPU than other framerate-capping solutions.

CPU Load (avg.)   CPU Power (avg.)
Nvidia V3   41%               36W
Special K   49%               39W
RTSS        59%               43W

From my own tests, I now see no reason to use RTSS as a framerate limiter.

Nvidia Framerate Limiter V3 performs as well as RTSS in all my tests while being much lighter on CPU usage.
And if I aimed for the most stable frametime, Special K win on both stability and CPU usage as well.

Before using CapFrameX, I always believed that Special K has the highest impact on CPU. Like, because it works better, so it makes sense to me that it would use more resources.

Try playing with the slider that controls CPU usage of the framerate limiter :slight_smile:

I think you can get those numbers even better, and totally smash NVIDIA’s limiter if you set the slider to 1%. I just picked a good middle-ground where I knew the CPU impat wouldn’t be too bad and framerate stability would still be damn near perfect in all games.

Tentative CHANGELOG for 0.11.0.46, which I plan to release tomorrow. Auto-update’s still not supported, so you need to know the secret word to get this new version.

• Fixed unsafe exception handling in Remedy’s (Control) SteamAPI code to prevent crashing

• Re-enabled Staging D3D11 Texture Mods

• Added forced Windowed Mode when engaging HDR

• Disabled 11:11:10-bit FP HDR remastering by default

This leaves only 10-bit render passes promoted to full FP16 by default

• HDR widget now defaults to CIE XYZ for In/Out Colorspaces

• HDR widget displays new text explaining DCI-P3 and Rec2020 Colorspaces are for debugging only

RE: Display Gamut Color Primaries Reported by DXGI in Win 10 2004

It apears that Microsoft has changed the DXGI runtime to report a monitor’s SDR EDID values
unless software has changed the output colorspace. This differs from all other versions of
Windows, in that they reported native color gamut even in SDR.

This is both good and bad; it should have coincided an easier method to detect if a display is
HDR even if the desktop is running in SDR and/or an API call to temporarily change the DWM
colorspace.

>> 1 Step Forward, 2 Steps Back ?
1 Like

Anyone know WTF a Kubernetes (sp?) is? Digital Ocean makes it sound as though I could build my own web software to do whatever I want with. Almost seems like it’d be a perfect fit for Workshop, and for getting users to submit crash logs (voluntarily of course). Additionally, uploading builds of Special K to the server and having the server generate the version information instead of me…

does control game works with specialk? I modify the injection white list but it doesnt load

A cluster and software around it ??

Kubernetes.

Hmm well I apparently learned a new word.

Or it’s a company name or product for containerized software.

Huh, Keights.

Kubernetes it’s basically the modern way that major sites and services handles auto-scaling and deploying. By setting up Kubernetes containers that can run independently or in conjunction with another, developers can set up a service that automatically scaled on demand as workload increase.

It’s basically the next major revolution within online services after containers a la Docker started to become popular.

One of the first things PCGamingWiki’s current sysadmin did was convert the whole site and its configuration over the Kubernetes back in 2018 or 2019. It allows the site to more dynamically scale, as well as allows us to automate the deploy of new changes directly through GitLab simply by pushing the latest changes to the Kubernetes cluster using Gitlab CI.

After we moved over to Kubernetes, deploying latest code changes live is fully automated and takes just a few minutes after the relevant commit was pushed to the GitLab repository.

It is actually partially why I recommended GitLab :slight_smile: It’s insane just how many supplement features GitLab provides that might be relevant for enhancing some aspects of the development and deploy of modern web services.

ROTFLMAO…

Cat dragon, cat motorcycle

:cat::dragon: (:cat::dragon:) :cat::motorcycle: (:cat::motorcycle:)

It shows up differently when you open that thread.

Why those exist I could not say.

Isn’t some of that the Microsoft Ninjacat thing?

~ Which I’ve only seen from Donna’s various build tweets and know nothing about otherwise. :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: Though the quoted thing here turns it into a different entity entirely instead of the actual post ones.

:cat::dragon:

EDIT: OK that’s weird.
:cat:

Some 2-in-1 emote thing going on here.

EDIT: These things too not the wallpapered versions above for the actual icons.

Looks like there’s a fair few variants of both, some Windows 10 thing and also part of the insider programs and sticker rewards far as I’ve found so far.

Yeah, I got the cat ninja characters using the Windows 10 emoji keyboard, so it’s not surprising it’s a Microsoft thing :slight_smile:

Love the cat chopping the dragon, a few years ago that might have been seen as Internet Explorer / Edge attacking Mozilla / Netscape, but now both of those products are irrelevant.

On a different note, now I remember why I never got into Control when it launched. I think Wizardry game could possibly be less of a labyrinth than this one, most of my time is spent wandering halls that all look the same.

I need to clear some of those dungeon delver games too eventually. ~

But yeah I heard the games map is only marginally effective and navigation comes from learning the layout and also cues like signs and what not with the effect being that the old house is also somewhat of a thing in itself so navigation is problematic as a in-game explanation for why it’s tough to get through some of the areas.
(Plus complaints on the loading times - console and non-SSD I suppose. - and checkpoint system saving.)

EDIT: Nowadays though GameFAQs and similar resources exist over pen & graph paper and plotting square by square.

Makes some of the older dungeon delver games far more bearable plus it shows just how complicated some of the map designs could get when you have the full layout like that.
(And some impressive work from people who archived and kept actual graph paper maps back in the day ha ha.)

I remember somethin John Romero once said about map design after making the leap from 2.5D in DOOM to 3D in Quake (which he really was not a big part of). Verticality turns the environment into the enemy rather than the intended gameplay :slight_smile: Players get lost when you stack rooms over each other and multiplayer action grinds to a halt.

Modern gamedevs should really take a page.

1 Like

With latest build it works fine for me. But my game runs default at DX11 since I am on AMD GPU and I think only reason game will run DX12 is if you use RTX features ingame.