Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

Check your DMs @Kaldaien

This. Totally have thought this for YEARS now. The forums were bad 10 years ago, yet no updates or TLC is given to them. What’s their priority? Hot Take: Literally nothing that people give a shit about.

Upcoming Guide:

Would you guys know which version of SK to use with Final Fantasy XV? I have these (3) files I pulled earlier this year:
firefox_DirJ2idhfp

I’m now writing the guide and don’t remember the situations to use other versions besides the MAIN one. Some clarification would assist me GREATLY in this.

The old version is on GitHub as SK_FFXV_Compat.7z, and the new version (including debug symbols since I rewrote my debug loader and can now get working crsh logs in this game game) is SK_FFXV.7z.

Source: random Kal post

SK_FFXV_ReShade.7z is just, well, bundled with Kaldien’s custom ReShade.

ReShade one can probably be skipped because I believe they don’t often come with ReShade shaders, and I believe many of the ReShade shaders intended for the official ReShade v4 isn’t compatible with the v3.6 or whatever the custom ReShade is based on.

You can also check the properties → details on each bundled DLL file to see what version of Special K they’re using.

1 Like

Thanks, Aemony!

So it looks like those assholes at Steam are neither going to change my user name to indicate it has been banned, nor ban me in individual forums as I requested both in Steam Support and publicly.

They would rather lecture me on the way things work (which are verifiably wrong). It looks like my only option to let people know I cannot reply to them is to delete the account, which is insane. WTF is wrong with Steam?

This might take some kind of social media campaign to get fixed :frowning: That was required in 2017 when I could not get the (now terminated) moderator to delete my NieR: Automata thread.

Just putting this here, do with it what you will because moderators are ignoring me:

Those jerks (Valve) took my store application fee and kept it for themselves after they removed the software from the store.

I got robbed, then insulted by incompetent moderators, now I am on a mission to destroy Valve :slight_smile: Or at least, convince a lot of people to move to a better place of business. Just have to figure out who that better place is. As much as I despise Epic, if they can build out their platform, it could be a contender.

I have put in a request to have Kaldaien’s account deleted. Maybe the Customer Support team that handles those requests can actually read? I’ve had enough ripping my hair out with the wonder twin moderators that don’t even know what these bans do and normal Customer Support that just copies and pastes a response that tells you the same thing you already knew and pretends that is an answer.

… Wouldn’t that also remove all of your games on that acocunt…?

I can’t help but feel that such an extreme measure really isn’t worth it.

Should be some confirmation step for it but I don’t know if Valve even does full account deletions since losing access to valid purchases would have to be confirmed as accepted from the user requesting such a action instead of just having it as a limited functionality account.

…But that Steam API tie in is a fu…mbly little solution that restricts way too much when the entire community bits should be separated in it’s entirety from stuff like … well just about everything else also using the API bits which just feels like a outdated legacy system that no longer functions as well as it did now that everything else is tied to it as well.

Ban and resulting blocker should be “moved forward” so you lose forum posting access or something like that but resulting client functionality isn’t terminated or broken just because a bunch of users hit the report button enough times against another user or whatever leads to these things.
(The weird permanent of sorts permanent blacklist thing and resulting lengthier subsequent bans is a issue as well and the discussion around ban reasons and discussion back and forth with mods and appeals would be a topic unto itself.)

EDIT: Something more tiered or dynamic and way better managed and less everything on this one API and then the ban is APIBlocked=1 breaking it all because some old code practice that is severely out of date now that there’s so much on this API as well outside of the community discussion boards.

I’m not planning on doing that.

Just pointing out that neither the volunteer moderators, nor Steam Support is willing to assist me with my paper weight of an account. They just tell me things I already know, and nothing happens. They love to talk about how they think things work, but never actually do anything to help anyone.

Ironically, if my password manager loses its password for Steam, the fact that I cannot recover my account (directs me to Steam Support, who will just paste a message rather than reading the support request) makes my account as good as deleted.

Just FYI, not that it even matters since I wasn’t using it yet… I shutdown the private GitLab server because it was going to bring my server costs up > $60/month. GitLab is a resource hog. I’ll just use gitlab.com and cloud storage.

I really do need Patreon to support moving off of Steam :-\ I hate that. Things were so much simpler, but Steam’s a @#$%hole and this is for the better.

I’ll just run it off a home server when the time comes. The required 4 GiB of RAM is pretty easy to come by when you’re not in a data center :stuck_out_tongue: $20/mo for 2 CPUs and 4 GiB of RAM just to run GitLab is silly, considering nobody touches the source code.

I’ll need an IPv4 tunnel to run the server at home, since my ISP blocks certain ports, but that can be arranged for a fraction of the cost of a 2 CPU / 4 GiB server node.

In fact, I think this server might even be able to do the trick. It has an SSH server, so I should be able to port forward an SSH tunnel to an unblocked port on my home machine.

BTW, for those who use Steam…

Stay out of the forums for that game. No idea WTF the obsession with trans is over there, but it’s what got me banned for a year. Trying to diffuse a conversation between a bunch of hateful assholes. Just keep out, don’t even post. Probably don’t even buy the game, since it was someone affiliated with Don’tNod that banned me for a year.

New plan, since Steam Support and volunteer moderators on Steam are useless due to incompetence…

Can I get a few people to flag all of my [Special K] threads requesting a permanent ban? Reference this post if need be. The big ones are FFXV, Persona 4: Golden, Monster Hunter: World and Final Fantasy X / X-2, the rest are relatively inactive… but if you’ve got free time, feel free to flag my 20 other threads too :slight_smile:

I’m literally not going back to Steam, so this affects me in no way whatsoever, it’s a courtesy for users who don’t otherwise know I cannot respond to them.

Ideally, the volunteer moderators would do this, but they’re a bunch of assholes.

At this point I sadly don’t think that would work either, and at worst flag the users for falsely report posts, or whatever weirdness they can think of…

:expressionless:

Edit: I’ve pointed that particular user to this site.

They would not do that. KillahInstinct seems to have an unwavering belief that flagging threads is infallible and cannot be abused.

As many times as I have explained to the guy the system is abused constantly, both he and Spawn of Totoro insist there is a human reviewing anything flagged and that means mistakes are impossible.

Thus, when I have been banned for malware and promoting piracy, it was because I am a malicious pirate, not because people abuse the reporting system. And clearly, those previous system-wide bans did nothing to teach me to stop writing malware or pirating software and the only way to get me to stop is with an even longer system-wide ban.

Oh, and FYI…

special-k.info also redirects here. It’s even more amusing (to me anyway) when special-k.info is an alias that takes you to differentk.fyi. The joke’s not fully realized until you point people to special-k.info :slight_smile:

Last… if you’re not using the E-Mail notification system, could you change your user preferences from “only when away” to “never?”

I changed the defaults for new users, but people who created accounts 1-2 days ago are getting E-Mail notifications whenever something’s posted and they’re not online, and those E-Mails are eating into the maximum number of new signups each day. I’d need even more Patreon pledges to pay to increase the E-Mail cap.

Done. Hopefully this helps :slight_smile:
firefox_Hw1kE8AZ4i