Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

To be fair it is mostly an obscure issue for now that not many really ‘suffers’ from. The worst that happens is that disabling FSO fails, so ‘exclusive fullscreen’ mode still gets turned into that weird flip model-state that Microsoft enforces.

That said, this issue affects ReShade when it’s named as dxgi.dll as well, so it’s not only a Special K thing.

It’s worse with D3D9, where using ReShade and Special K as d3d9.dll and enabling the Disable fullscreen optimizations option used to (haven’t tested it recently) silently crash games on launch without any error prompt.

1 Like

Most of those problems would just go away if you used global injection instead :stuck_out_tongue: Except for the ReShade one… that software’s always going to require injection as a game-local DLL and get all the compat. issues that come along with doing that :-\

We can do this …

“I’m the smartest programmer who has ever lived.” Priceless, lol. Paste multiply designed symbols and pass that off as an accomplishment.

This is a weird turn of events.

I did own some GameStop stock for a while when they were worth absolutely nothing and switched to dump-everything-into-dividend mode to attract investors, because the notion of making any return on their negative earnings amused me.

Zero faith in the company to actually make money, but I guess Microsoft bankrolling their incompetent business practices will keep them afloat for a little while longer.

It will be fun to watch them run this into the ground, mark my words. They understand absolutely nothing about the market they serve.

I’m not familiar with the person, so this isn’t entirely aimed at him, but i find it ironic how most people believe they’re smart, or at least smarter than the average person, which as we know is impossible.

Seems like SK can hook to Dolphin emulator (Gamecube/Wii) in D3D11 mode. Need to test more, but so far all i’ve noticed is that you can’t push the internal resolution beyond your monitor res. I’ve been able to debug shaders too.

HDR can be injected into most Dolphin games. Not sure about texture modding. Didn’t test it since Dolphin has its own tools for dumping and loading. You can check out the list here. It can also be injected into PCSX2 but that one is a lot more tempremental for some reason.

Probably because the PS2 had an annoying architecture to develop games for, and make an emulator of, at least to my knowledge.

Your guess is as good as mine. It could anything at all causing some games to work fine with forced HDR and some games not. My current theory is that the emulator relies on many hacks for different games rather than emulating accurately so there’s bugs.

This guy has had various mental issues throughout his life, including schizophrenia, up until his passing some two years ago.

TempleOS is in many ways heavily influenced by those issues.

Not to be that guy, but most people usually seems to compare their IQ to others when measuring how “smart” they are, and in that case it bares to remember that IQ is normalized towards 100. Which basically means that 50% of the population of a country has 100 or higher IQ, and 50% of the population has an IQ below 100.

Which means that if you were to take a test and actually “score” an exact 101 on it, you’d still arguably be “smarter than the average person” simply because you’d technically be measured as more intelligent than half the population.

That said, more often than not the Dunning-Kruger effect is in play when it comes to an individual’s estimation of their own ability.

The guy is (was…) famous for being a racist schizophrenic. Quite a personality … 5 or 6, in fact, to Terry, lol. Sad story of mental illness with with him :-\ But I think even when you actually know the guy’s struggle, the things he says still come across as funny and it should not be a crime to laugh at the mentally ill’s actual statements in context.

At least one of his personalities actually was a very gifted programmer, I don’t know about all the other ones.

‘… D3D11 restrictions limit HDR output to exclusive fullscreen support only.’

No they don’t!

How do we have such widely-used engines inventing API limitations that do not actually exist? The only reason that Unreal Engine doesn’t support HDR in windowed mode in D3D11 is because Epic apparently thinks that Flip Model only works in D3D12.

Worst of all, their docs are discussing this stuff as though D3D12 -may- support something. D3D12 does support that, D3D11 supports it as well, and Unreal Engine has not bothered to even try.

Moreover, they are discussing D3D11 and D3D12 APIs and then turning around and using NvAPI for HDR in their engine. The source of all of Epic’s confusion comes from using the obsolete NvAPI stuff to enable HDR instead of DXGI.

Very irritating that like 99% of shipping games do this.

That stuff is all on the various Microsoft blogs about flip model and HDR support as I recall, hmm guess NVAPI being one the earliest ways for HDR on Windows means it became a bit of a standard for how to do it and what it supports and doesn’t support stuck around?

EDIT: Wonder if UE5 still keeps support for D3D11, due to it’s age I would think this engine version would be a good cut-off point for the API and focusing on Vulkan / D3D12 going forward but for supporting a high-level API and legacy albeit functional it might be kept at least initially.

Hmm wonder if Horizon Zero Dawn was updated to resolve it or if it’s capped but it seems SpecialK works just fine when increasing the buffer values.

BackBufferCount=5
PreRenderLimit=6

Kinda hard to tell what it’s doing but there’s no crash.
Update also went full 10-bit I think so some of the ReShade shaders needed some tuning and screenshots are 100% purple as a result of that. :stuck_out_tongue:

Do most people even take the right IQ tests? To my knowledge a lot of the online tests are fake, which is what most people use.

Yeah i was looking for this, forgot what it was called. I think the graph for it is rather telling, though i personally believe some of the more intelligent would also be aware how stupid they are to some degree, humbling them.

1 Like

“My mom had me tested,” ROTFLMAO.

I got tested at age 5, and they knew I had an incurable case of IQ too high and they put me in special classes to ease my suffering :stuck_out_tongue:

I literally don’t register on most charts because I’m outside of 3 standard deviations… no idea if putting it that way is any more polite than tossing absolute numbers around? This is kinda something I don’t think you’re supposed to talk about.

^^ That’s how you know the test results are valid; participant vaguely recognizes norms of social discourse :wink:

It’s crazy how important it is to DISABLE G-Sync on your LG OLED and turn on ‘OLED Motion’ instead. Almost as crazy as building a suite of tools to display motion artifacts and asking web browsers to do the rendering :slight_smile:

Either browsers are much more sophisticated than I could have ever imagined, or demonstrating motion blur is much simpler… I’m leaning toward the browsers are more advanced theory. If it were easy to show motion-related problems, SK would have a widget to do it.

This test produces amusing results too.

That’s a solid image scrolled horizontally if you make the mistake of enabling G-Sync.

Yeah, people sorta put too much weight into these forms of tests. They usually attempt to measure various generalize matters, but fail to account for… well… basically everything else.

An individual can score “high” in these sorts of tests and then be completely lost in the most basic of things — something that few people actually realize.

It’s why the tests should only be used by trained professionals helping people, as otherwise it’ll only be used to arbitrarily divide people for no real reason.

Knowledge is a huge factor of intelligence, which is what IQ doesn’t really account for. I “think” IQ tests are more for understanding how much potential one has in consuming knowledge, but correct me if i’m wrong.

The graph only illustrates ones own ability to estimate their own ability after all. What I means by this is that regardless of where an individual would be on the graph, they could still be entirely inept in putting that ability in practice in various ways.

Take teaching, for example, or just writing really good instruction/documentation materials. That has actually little to do with one’s own ability/knowledge of the thing and more rely on entirely different aspects (being pedagogical, phrasing stuff the right way, including enough to allow the majority to follow the information, etc). The more knowledge you have of the subject material the more you can cover, or account for, but that alone does not make good documentation.

Having been heavily involved with documentation/instructions at work for the last decade, it’s one of my extreme pet peeves… People ■■■■■■■ sucks at writing that sort of stuff /good/, and more often than not fails to account or otherwise include basic stuff that’s relevant for the average consumer of said data.

Just got mafia definite edition, SK hdr is amazing. Recommended settings for performance?