Special K v 0.11.0.50 - Improved Fullscreen Flip

Also, here’s why you turn SK’s framerate limiter on :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you. 100 % CPU Timing Accuracy. Is that just for BG3 or is that a recommended setting in General ?

That’s just for BG3, no other game should need that hack. Baldur’s Gate 3 is a mess when it starts streaming textures.

1 Like

Ok, so can we apply most of those settings to other games ?

Yeah.

Literally all you need to do is Click “Use Flip Model Presentation” and restart the game. You’ll then set SK’s Framerate Limiter to match your screen refresh rate and that should bring “Render Latency” down to 0 Frames (~ 0.0 ms).

If you see the histogram rising and falling like in that 2nd BG3 screenshot, then something’s wrong.

Alright. Thanks a lot :+1:t2:

That fixed it on my end was trying to figure out to get best solid 0 Latency lol. I am using Enhanced Sync from AMD for game AMD Panel setting. Though I do have Freesync off due to fact that it causes way too much flickering and at 60Hz on my panel is disastrous idea to run game at locked 60 fps.

Edit:
Will this work with HDR too?

Those screenshots all say (HDR), don’t they? :stuck_out_tongue:

LOL Didn’t look close enough rofl. Just need to find decent settings for this game for my monitor hehe.

Edit:
Use SK’s HDR function to Override games HDR?

1602432696.jxr (1,4 MB)

FastSync On + the right SK Settings and this is what I’m getting.

You’re not on the Flip Model ‘fast path’.

You’re incurring extra latency because the Device and Window resolutions do not match.

Ok, I didn’t know that’s a thing but thanks again for the help.

Flip Model is designed to draw directly into the DWM. To do that efficiently, the game’s window has to be the same size as the desktop. Otherwise some kind of scaling has to happen before the image can be handed to the DWM.

If you’re determined to run the game at 2560x1440, the only way to do that without adding latency is to change the desktop’s resolution to 2560x1440.

You can do that, but you will have to turn 8-bit remastering off or you will get sparklie aritfacts.

The game needs a lot of HDR work. Larian didn’t get the memo that HDR10 only has 2-bits of alpha. So that’s causing banding artifacts in the UI that actually are not there in SDR.

Once you see that problem, you can never unsee it :slight_smile:

HDR10 = 10-Bit Red, 10-Bit Green, 10-Bit Blue, 2-Bit Alpha
SDR = 8-Bit Red, 8-Bit Green, 8-Bit Blue, 8-Bit Alpha

They both add up to 32, but alpha gets the shaft.

First time I’ve seen that info, trying to find it though it seems HDR10+ is a thing as of some years back but probably more for movie media.

EDIT: Oh it’s another one of those deep in the Microsoft Windows documentation data pieces, neat.

Guessing shifting over to Git and other stuff will eventually lift all of this up into more visible nodes or what to call it. :slight_smile:
(Networks? Resources? Well something. :smiley: )

EDIT: Aha and scRGB and also FP16 for floating point over INT and the whole well all the data needed really or all the info rather. :smiley:

It’s not a well-known problem, because normally HDR10 is just the “wire format” (output signal) and nobody actually tries to do multi-pass alpha blending into the HDR10 image.

1 Like

This is my current settings atm:

[SpecialK.HDR]
scRGBLuminance_[0]=9.375
scRGBGamma_[0]=1.388
InputColorSpace_[0]=4
OutputColorSpace_[0]=0
scRGBLuminance_[1]=3.125
scRGBGamma_[1]=0.8418
InputColorSpace_[1]=4
OutputColorSpace_[1]=0
scRGBLuminance_[2]=1.0
scRGBGamma_[2]=1.0
InputColorSpace_[2]=1
OutputColorSpace_[2]=4
scRGBLuminance_[3]=9.375
scRGBGamma_[3]=2.18
InputColorSpace_[3]=4
OutputColorSpace_[3]=0
Use10BitSwapChain=false
Use16BitSwapChain=true
Promote8BitRTsTo16=false
Promote10BitRTsTo16=false
Promote11BitRTsTo16=true
AllowFullLuminance=true
Preset=0

Seems to be working quite nicely Or should I just do only 10BitRTsTo16?

I have HDR600 Monitor with Some Dimming Zones. QLED Monitor.

That would be a smooth gradient in SDR, but HDR10’s 2-bits of alpha cause those bands. It’s driving me nuts watching strips of the UI color shift :slight_smile:

Which part of UI? The text? area?

All parts of the UI.

Here’s an even better example, from the game’s pause menu.

I can’t fix this :frowning: I tried to explain the problem to Larian in a technical post on their forums, hopefully they actually read it.

In SDR, that’s smooth. In HDR it’s, well, … that! Concentric rings of putrid of color shifting…