New HDR Calibration Procedure (SK 0.11.1 + HGIG)

With the newest version, Telltale Games engine no longer works in HDR. Special K just doesnt kick into HDR even when enabled and no HDR settings have any effect.

You’re right. It looks like I accidentally broke the automatic Flip Model override that’s supposed to happen whenever you enable HDR. I’ll have a fix for this in a bit.

Okay so this image, is not okay? https://i.imgur.com/A5GZjtR.jpg

And this one is about where it should be? https://i.imgur.com/0BzXCZc.jpg

Cause I was trying to make the magenta of the clouds go away but that was pretty much impossible.

No, that first image is perfectly fine. Red pixels don’t matter, it’s the ones that are so bright red they look radioactive. You’d know if your screen had any of them on it, you’ve probably never seen red that bright before :slight_smile:

I’ve found a okay middle ground between what could be just liking a technically incorrect image and older version of SK

Setting paper white to same as peak white and setting SDR → HDR Gamma to between 1.15 and 1.25 depending on the title. Gives the best “brightness” separation with saturation I am expecting. Some titles the shadows have a grey appearance (see images) but in most titles I’ve tested it with it’s a very subtle difference.

https://pixeldrain.com/u/6RxbGdDy TW3 OLD SK 800Nits 1.0 Gamma
https://pixeldrain.com/u/tzGXP4tR TW3 Test SK 800Nits 1.2Gamma
https://pixeldrain.com/u/26JkmkFM TW3 Test SK 800Nits 1.0Gamma

Hmm okay. Would the subtitles be more like the red ish pink I’m looking for for it to be overblown? (sorry for all the dopey questions and ty for all the help I’ve only had an hdr display a few months.)

This is what you are looking to avoid:

Where the pixels go from red to pink and it ‘overlays’ itself over the SK UI.

1 Like

Thanks I think I got a lil bit of that going on just playing with it. Tyvm :blush:

Here’s an updated version for testing:

+ Fixed Mute in Background Mode when combined with "Continue Rendering."
+ Fixed Background Rendering Mode in many games
+ Added VRAM Usage to HDR Remastering Checkbox Tooltips
+ Added the same Yakuza reference counting fixes needed to keep 0, Kiwami 1 and
    Kiwami 2 from crashing to Like a Dragon -- somebody fix the damn engine (!!)

SpecialK64.7z (7.5 MB) SpecialK32.7z (6.3 MB)

I added various tooltips and changed a little bit of the image processing, this should be a good middle-ground between new and old. And if you really don’t like it, you can set Paper White to Max Luminance and get the same behavior as before.

1 Like

Ah, that explains the behavior I was witnessing.

Downloaded the new version you provided and even “Preset 0” without any changes looks much better. I tried following your new guidelines and am still seeing a ton of pink with ACES Filmic, though. Here are a few screenshots:

What settings are you using on your OLEDs? We have the same TVs.

Also, not sure if a bug or intended behavior, but the HDR widget window can only be moved when adjusting its settings.

Still got that HDR issue unless the fix is in wip. No other issues so far.

I am able to move the HDR window, try right clicking it for more settings.

Yeah, that’s what I meant. Can only move the HDR widget window when adjusting its settings, unlike the main SK window, that can be moved freely at anytime.

right click empty space and set it to undocked

So, clicking the top part of the HDR widget window (which is where you traditionally click to move windows, including SK’s main one) doesn’t let you move it. You have to click on literally any other place. That’s why I wasn’t able to move it before, as I was trying to drag and drop its title bar. :sweat_smile:

Have you changed the way HDR processing is done? I just tried the newest version you posted here in The Division, it completely fixed all black crush issues, but the effect looks super subdued in comparison even after messing around with settings. Colors also seem different.

Does this new version retain the same calibration process for HGIG displays?

Thanks.

Yes, things have been changed. I introduced Paper White and set it to ~25% of what it used to be at. This expands range significantly and reduces saturation on all but the brightest parts of the scene.

If you want the old behavior back (keep in mind, it oversaturates things by a fair margin), jack the Paper White slider up past 50%.

[ Old behavior was equivalent to Paper White = 100% ]

Even after changing the paper white, the overall image still looks radically different. On the previous version I had to use some really bizarre values of gamma, middle grey and preak brightness to minimize black crush in The Division, and in the end I kept finding new areas with crush as well as blown out highlights.

Now there’s no such issues whatsoever even on the default settings, regardless of paper white, I dunno if it was just some weird issue specific to this game.

It’s certainly better not having to deal with black crush, but no matter what settings I use I can never attain the previous “pop” with HDR.

Just found it interesting.

Yeah, some of that pop was the image being manipulated too far to the point where you were losing detail. Unfortunately, when things work correctly, you shouldn’t be getting that much contrast.

That’s why this stuff is dangerous, it’s very easy to produce an image that looks unbelievable until put under a microscope and then you’re conflicted whether to try and reproduce the knowingly bad image for its visual presentation or do things the right way.

There’s still a lot of room for improvement here, though. I will be working on eye adaptation to dynamically expand / contract the dynamic range for indoor / outdoor scenes. I expect that will bring some of the “pop” back without loss of detail.