New HDR Calibration Procedure (SK 0.11.1 + HGIG)

Still looking for some advice, especially regarding the recommended settings for LG OLEDs.

P.S.: Also, not sure if the “remaster” options should be left unchecked or not (10- and 11-bit were selected by default on previous versions of SK - now, they’re all disabled by default).

The framerate limiter resets itself when you alt-tab now, perhaps you have some third-party software (most likely something that draws an overlay) that’s deadlocking things?

Enable the background rendering mode to prevent any such software from causing problems.

I have no recommendations, if I did then there would be no calibration screen :slight_smile: This requires tuning on a per-game basis, some of them exceed SDR range more than others do and that’s why the maximum luminance slider and all that other jazz exists.

As for remastering, I’ve turned them all off for compatibility reasons. You’re encouraged to try turning them on for better HDR image quality, but they may cause visual anomalies if not outright crashing. As such, the best policy to have is off-by-default.

But should I enable full HDR luminance and max out the peak white slider? What about all the pink in the image while using ACES (check the screenshots I posted earlier)?

Only screenshot I saw had no pink pixels in it.

You can enable the full range as long as 1) the average luminance is not all pink and 2) the local luminance has no pink.

Since there seems to be some confusion over what constitutes pink, I suppose I’ll color-cycle the out-of-range pixels as shown in this video:

+ Changed HDR Display Name Query to use NvAPI on compatible systems to
    correctly map DXGI Display Handles to EDID Display Names

SpecialK64.7z (7.5 MB)
SpecialK32.7z (6.3 MB)

I need help validating this works as intended. I have multiple monitors at my disposal, but they are all LG OLED TVs (ringing endorsement for LG if ever there were one), lol. On my system, even if the wrong monitor is matched up, the name will be correct.

1 Like

I uploaded my screenshots to this website, got the color code (HTML/HEX code: #ff00ff; RGB code: 255, 0, 255) and typed that into this other website, which gave me the name of the color to which I was referring before: magenta.

All these screenshots are filled with it:

This isn’t technically paper white. But it’s the closest term people are familiar with.

But if we were to go by actual standards, then…

if (fUserTarget >= 1999.0f)
      _fSDRTarget = 343.0f;
    else if (fUserTarget >= 1499.0f)
      _fSDRTarget = 276.0f;
    else if (fUserTarget >= 999.0f)
      _fSDRTarget = 203.0f;
    else if (fUserTarget >= 799.0f)
      _fSDRTarget = 172.0f;
    else if (fUserTarget >= 599.0f)
      _fSDRTarget = 138.0f;
    else if (fUserTarget >= 399.0f)
      _fSDRTarget = 101.0f;

A C9 OLED would use 276 cd/m^2 for paper white.

LG deliberately defined their maximum luminance 1 nits lower than the cutoff for 276 cd/m^2 paper white. So I just did them a favor and fixed their rounding error, lol.

So, enable full HDR luminance, leave peak white at 1499 and set paper white to 276? But what about the visualization? Using the Max-Local-Y, there’s pi-- I mean, magenta – all over the image, no matter the settings.

Then your game is royally @#$%'d up. You might as well switch to the Exposure view instead. If that is in fact pink, you will see a lot of yellow in the exposure view.

https://imgur.com/a/Ei3PO68

This doesn’t come across right when the Xbox Game Bar tonemaps things. Let’s try the SK tonemap instead.

See the very top of the cloud that’s a bizarre shade of red that’s baically streaking down the cloud diagonally? That’s what you want to eliminate.

Can I just say … WTF? The Xbox Game Bar sucks at tonemapping HDR images.

Have you seen my screenshots? How do they look to you? You said you saw one and didn’t notice any pink, but the sky is literally 80% magenta, so I’m not sure if I’m going colorblind here or if you’re just trolling me. :rofl:

That’s literally the same shade of pink/magenta that I was talking about before, lol.

Check my screenshots, seriously. I took them using Nvidia Share (Shadowplay), since it’s an Origin game, and they look exactly the same as the image on my screen.

That’s not even remotely the same. Your screenshots are purple.

Circled the problem areas. This, of course, has been tonemapped down to SDR and I can show you the areas, but the color is not accurate. The circled regions are so pure red and at such intense luminance, they appear a shade of pink from the 1990s.

Closest you are going to get to a proper visual representation is this:

The Witness 11_14_2020 3_16_09 AM.jxr (9.1 MB)

^^^ Consult that in an application that can view HDR images

I feel like I’m slowly going insane throughout this thread, lol.

Just so we’re on the same page, let’s use your picture and the two websites that I mentioned (https://imagecolorpicker.com/ and Color Name & Hue – Colblindor) to establish what the actual colors are.

That’s red. Not “1990s pink”. Literally red (HTML/HEX code: #fe0000; RGB code: 254, 0, 0). Color name: red. Hue: red.

That’s what I’d call pink, but Colblindor defines the dominant color as “Psychedelic Purple”, which is literally right next to magenta on the color spectrum. So, if not the exact same shade as the one in my pictures, the closest approximation you’ll get.

Now, here are my latest HDR pics from Fallen Order, with full HDR luminance enabled, 1499 peak white and 276 paper white:

If I’m not supposed to see any pink in Max-Local-Y, and yellow in Exposure, then, the picture is all wrong, even with the “correct” settings. :confused:

Stop color picking HDR → SDR tonemapped colors. How many times do I have to tell you, that’s not what it looks like on screen?

Your screenshots contain none of the eye searing red so bright that it’s hot pink. Your screenshots are nothing but shades of purple.

I give up, just use this:

SpecialK32.7z (6.3 MB) SpecialK64.7z (7.6 MB)

It should be obvious what you need to do when you see that… or in your case, don’t see it, because you never had any hot pink pixels on your screen to begin with.

Calibration Guide Revision Underway

I am overhauling the calibration guide in preparation for the release of SK 0.11.1, please see the title post for the latest test release and let me know if what is written so far needs clarification.

1 Like

So far it’s fine

What are the 2 main “fake” colors for? the avg. and the local one? I don’t completely understand those… and the color cycling in those should that be gone? or only in the local one? and Sorry to say to me in those video’s the “pink” really looks red to me… pink to me looks more like “magenta” even though I know that is more on the purple side… shouldn’t it be more like “white people skin” colored (no racism intended, just couldn’t think of a better example)?

Yes, the cycling color indicates brightness/colors outside the range of your monitor.