Microsoft Flight Simulator

NVIDIA’s older GPUs may not be as good with this feature as the new ones, it seems. All my testing has been on GTX 1080 / Ti class hardware and newer. I had 3-way GTX 980 SLI back in the day, but was eager to get the hell away from SLI, lol and quickly went with Pascal GPUs as fast as I could.

right, I`m waiting for Ampere for christmas maybe.

Any recommendation to make reshade work?

Best bet is to use the unofficial version that ships with Special K.

Yea tried that…sadly it doesn’t work. Don’t have any other Injector on.
Game version is UWP.

I got it to load reshade, but effects doesnt register it seems there is some kind of anti-tamper going on.
The other option is freestyle, but it doesnt load the freestyle menu.

For first-time users, grab this:

https://sk-data.special-k.info/VersionControl/SpecialK/0/SK_UWP-thus-IPW_0_11_0_45.7z

That includes everything SK related and you should unpack it to:

Documents\My Mods\SpecialK\

any settings has changed?

There something wrong on my end, it looks like this

I`m going to make a tutorial to advertise so I tested on my pc.
I dont see the options to start services

Thank you very much for this mod and now already getting FS2020 in a better shape! Some questions:

• why do you allocate 5 back buffers, to me that seems rather much. Does having that many smooth things out? Would that not induce more latency as well?
  • bit more general: do the frame limiter or the waitable swap chain interact in a bad way with Nvidia’s Ultra Low Latency setting? What is your recommendation for setting that?

With a flip model presentation using flip discard it should be a improvement so that’s why Kaldaien recommends 4 - 5 back buffers particularly as I recall it for higher refresh rates and framerates.

AMD and NVIDIA and their lag and latency options work (I could be wrong here particularly for the newest changes in the drivers for how this works.) by reducing or outright removing the input delay so I would assume it conflicts with the design around back buffers and then -1 for the SpecialK input option as if the driver setting takes priority it’ll be 1 or even 0 if you use the higher NVIDIA ULL modes.

There was an explanation from Kaldaien about this on the Steam forums possibly one of the game specific projects and the inability to set a higher back buffer count is one of the limits with the current version of Horizon Zero Dawn from discussion on that more recently.

Flip model is a bit less common for D3D11 and flip discard requiring Windows 10 even less so but it’s a method to reduce delay and input latency and match the former exclusive full-screen display mode when using borderless or windowed rather than having a extra frame of latency or more.
(Option for D3D11 but mandatory for D3D12 and Vulkan but I don’t think flip discard itself is so these API’s could still benefit from SpecialK if what’s it called flip sequential is used instead.)

EDIT: Microsofts article about it.

Intel and a pretty handy chart on this.

Minimizing latency. :slight_smile:

EDIT: Without flip discard though I would expect there to be a increase in input latency.
(Think it was mentioned earlier that the game does use sequential flip model presentation so it’s a newer form but without discard support.)

This is flip model presentation, it would be way too many if I were actually sequencing those draws in a FIFO queue. I am not, they are there to reduce multi-threaded rendering pressure.

The game can draw into those extra backbuffers without competing for resources, and best of all if the game starts to render > refresh rate due to the number of backbuffers, Special K is setup to discard the older images and ensure the latest image shows up exactly at scanout.

Having a good 2-3x as many backbuffers as you would traditionally need is actually an NVIDIA / Microsoft best practice for building flip model software / D3D12 engines. It’s good stuff if you know what you’re doing :slight_smile:

Tl;Dr:

This is low latency, those extra buffers will not contribute to latency in any way. Smoothness increases, latency decreases, it’s a winner-winner-chicken-dinner :smile:

Great stuff, thanks for the answer. Is the waitable swapchain a requirement for this to be low latency?

Edit: another comment: with your INI settings proposed here there is severe hitching in game for me. This seems related to the frame rate limiter, as turning that off makes the hitching disappear instantly. Maybe the limiter is consuming too much CPU cycles, which FS2020 is also very hungry for? Running on an i7 7700k (4 cores with HT) here, with a 1080Ti on medium global settings, 3440x1440 resolution.

Thanks for the links. The game by default uses windowed composition (GDI copy) which results in bad frame pacing. When SpecialK forces the flip model, it says (Discard) for me.

On my system, without me doing anything, the game uses flip sequential. I overrode that and used flip discard and applied my more advanced frame pacing magic :slight_smile:

I have to wonder – do you own the Steam version? Maybe it’s different for Steam, since UWP / Windows Store software is required to use flip model.

I have the Game Pass version which is downloaded through the store. By default that runs in bordered windowed mode (GDI copy, not flip), even if selecting full screen.

Consider setting the BusyWaitRatio (in SK’s config) higher. 0.875 is the default, I set it to 0.0 to eliminate profound stuttering in this game on my system.

Of course, I have a Ryzen 9 3900x (12 cores, 24 threads).

2 Likes

no optionm to start global services

There is supposed to be a Servlet directory.

Download the archive again, I updated it to fix that problem. It should have been updated long enough ago at this point that browser cache and other things will be dead and you’ll get the updated version.

https://sk-data.special-k.info/VersionControl/SpecialK/0/SK_UWP-thus-IPW_0_11_0_45.7z

thank you now its working properly. This friendly install is much better for the tutorial and advertise Im going to do.
Do I use the profile included or let it create a new one?